LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

cc305

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2005, 03:37 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cc305

my engine is stock,so if i install the cc305 in my car,what other things can i do to the engine while i'm installing the cam that don't cost too much?and would changing out the rods and rockers be an option if i just wanted to do that and the cam?this is just something i want to do for the short while,i am saving up for a le2 package
Old 08-25-2005, 04:06 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You'll have to change the springs, but I guess you already knew. If it's a high millage car then I'd suggest you change the lifters. Also roller rockers will be good to have. Keep in mind that if you get good parts now you can reuse them later when going LE2.
Old 08-25-2005, 06:27 AM
12 Second Club

First, I am assuming that you have all the accompaning boltons (exhaust, CAI, etc.)New rocker arms are a must as well as springs and pushrods. Really for the time an effort to swap out the cam (especially such a mild one) you might want to think about going with a H/C setup. Lloyd Elliot has some packages that are damn bargains.

www.eportworks.com
Old 08-25-2005, 09:39 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by METALBEAST
First, I am assuming that you have all the accompaning boltons (exhaust, CAI, etc.)New rocker arms are a must as well as springs and pushrods. Really for the time an effort to swap out the cam (especially such a mild one) you might want to think about going with a H/C setup. Lloyd Elliot has some packages that are damn bargains.

www.eportworks.com
I agree. Why go through all that trouble twice. Just do your cam and heads at the same time. Right now I'm saving for an LE2 package.
Old 08-25-2005, 10:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

The less you mess with putting a cam in over and over, the less chance you have of screwing up your bearings and or something else.
Old 08-25-2005, 12:33 PM
On The Tree

If you dont have boltons, get headers and a cai, a must for cams.

If you already have that than, as already said, springs and rr's are a must as well. The springs will be needed to deal with the extra lift and 1.6 ratio rockers will get much more out of the cam than the stock 1.5s will. Unless your car has a lot of miles on it (150k+) I'd stick with the rock lifters. Last winter I helped a friend rebuild the lt1 out of his caprice with 227k miles and it was hard to tell the difference between the lifters that came out of there and the new ones he bought. Those roller lifters will last a long time. New rods arent crucial, but if you have a lot of miles and a little extra cash I'd get some.

As for heads, that depends on what you want out of the car and how much your willing to spend. If you plan of doing it yourself, than you know its a lot more work than just a cam, if not than it'll cost you quite a bit in labor. I'm very happy with my cam only setup.
Old 08-25-2005, 06:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

These guys have all made good points. I have the cc305 and wish I went bigger. But now it's like, how reasonable is it really to tear back into the motor? I thought it would be simple to swap cams at my own leisure but later down the road things come up and those plans get thrown to the side.

Positives about that 305 cam are it's drivability and being able to pass smog.
Old 08-25-2005, 10:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

QUESTION

would It do my any good hp wise to get RR and and springs for my car with no cam... kinda to get ready for the stuff I have planed.
Old 08-26-2005, 12:00 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by State69champ
QUESTION

would It do my any good hp wise to get RR and and springs for my car with no cam... kinda to get ready for the stuff I have planed.
Using higher ratio rockers will produce more power due to the increased lift and slight increase in overlap. The upgraded springs will help stabalize valvetrain at high rpm.
Old 08-26-2005, 12:20 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Evaporate
These guys have all made good points. I have the cc305 and wish I went bigger. But now it's like, how reasonable is it really to tear back into the motor? I thought it would be simple to swap cams at my own leisure but later down the road things come up and those plans get thrown to the side.

Positives about that 305 cam are it's drivability and being able to pass smog.
yep....go with a 306 cam!!!!!!!!
Old 08-26-2005, 04:52 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by METALBEAST

www.eportworks.com
yeah i'm saving for the le2 package,hey metalbeast what site is that you have in your sig,looks cool,thanks everyone for the info,i will wait till i get the le2 package

Quick Reply: cc305