LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Importance of Dyno Tuning?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2005, 04:13 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Importance of Dyno Tuning?

I just got a '97 WS6 with a forged 383 stroker and ATI P1-SC supercharger that I'm having installed soon. The authorized Procharger installer here in Tucson is planning on sending the ECU out to someone in Oklahoma to reflash it for the mods I have. He says there are no dynos in town and doesn't know of anyone in Phoenix that could dyno tune it. I'm sure there are some good tuners in Phoenix. But would I gain much by having it dyno tuned, or would an off-the-shelf map be sufficient?
Old 09-20-2005, 06:14 AM
On The Tree

A dyno tune can do a few things:

1. Allow for accurate measurement of your air/fuel
2. Give an accurate measurement of your rear wheel horsepower and torque
3. Give you the data from the various tune sessions for comparison

I always think it is best to have this information when tuning a car - especially if a supercharger is involved......it is just too easy to lean out and cause severe damage.

They can usually get close with an off the car tune of the chip, but it is worth the 50-60 bucks for one run on the dyno to make sure your A/F is good, even if no tuning is involved.

I don't know how much additional power the tuning session will add to your car - each situation is different - but we added about 20 hp and 30 ft lbs tq with my session(s).

A "dyno tune" is not required for any of this information. You could use a good wide band O2 measuring system (Innovative or Zeitronix) and a good performance measurement system like the G tech pro RR. If you think you want to start tuning yourself, I would suggest this route. Multiple dyno tune sessions can get expensive really quickly.......

One more thing....I would REALLY question the guy who is doing your install if he does not know of someone local in PHOENIX that could do a dyno tune on your car.......We have at least 2 shops here in Albuquerque that can do it.....an if Alb has folks, I am sure Phoenix must..........
Old 09-20-2005, 01:41 PM
Launching!

Thanks. I'll probably just have him install it and have it dyno tuned in Phoenix. These guys look pretty good:

http://www.azautomasters.com/index.shtml
Old 09-20-2005, 09:42 PM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If it is a Mustang dyno yes

Quick Reply: Importance of Dyno Tuning?