LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

need opinions on this set-up

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2005, 11:07 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default How does this sound?

I need opinions on this setup:
XE 227/233 cam with a 560/569 lift on a 1.6rr (114lsa)
7.2 Hardened Pushrods
Pro Magnum 1.6rr

I may buy this but I want opinions from people that know more than me! This is my daily driver so I'm not looking to kill gas anytime soon. Also I'm not planning on building a major drag car or anything, I just want a nice lope and good power. Hopefully better than a hotcam too. I already have Mac Mid Headers, Magnaflow Exhaust, and Moroso CAI to go along with this package. (There is also some other little bolt-ons and suspension stuff but I won't go into detail) Let me know your opinions on this and what kind of numbers it will make.
Old 10-02-2005, 11:08 PM
TECH Addict

I know I'll need valve springs too. Also recommendations on those. Thanks!
Old 10-03-2005, 07:04 PM
TECH Addict

I've got till Friday to decide if I want to buy it or not. Lets get some replies in here to help me decide!
Old 10-04-2005, 05:23 PM
TECH Addict

Default no one is helping me in the LT1 forum so I came here

I need opinions on this setup:
XE 227/233 cam with a 560/569 lift on a 1.6rr (114lsa)
7.2 Hardened Pushrods
Pro Magnum 1.6rr

I may buy this but I want opinions from people that know more than me! This is my daily driver so I'm not looking to kill gas anytime soon. Also I'm not planning on building a major drag car or anything, I just want a nice lope and good power. Hopefully better than a hotcam too. I already have Mac Mid Headers, Magnaflow Exhaust, and Moroso CAI to go along with this package. (There is also some other little bolt-ons and suspension stuff but I won't go into detail) Let me know your opinions on this and what kind of numbers it will make.
Old 10-04-2005, 05:28 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A LT1 is a different animal compaired to the LS1 It would be best to ask people with more LT1 info. if I needed to reply, I would think it sounds like a good cam choice. with a mid 220 duration it shouls lobe preaty good.
Old 10-04-2005, 10:15 PM
Staging Lane

that sounds like a pretty good setup. what heads are you using? about 3yrs ago i ran a 224/230 on 1.6 rockers. dynoed 340 rwhp and went 12.25 @115mph. that was in a fully loaded 3750lb 97 m6 car. with some head work and a 12 bolt the car should have ran 11s.actually it did on a 100shot.
do the heads if you can.really helps the top end,and lets the cam work.hope some of this helps.
matt
Old 10-04-2005, 10:56 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Transmission type will certainly have an influence on your driveability and rear-end ratio will also be important. The architecture of the LT1 is built upon the traditional 23-degree valve angle, with reversed flow cooling [cools the heads before the block] to allow for higher compression ratios. The LT1 is a very good running motor and the intake likes higher lift camshafts, as it is has a large plenum area and relatively short runners. The head question is a good one, as the LT1 port flows well, but they can certainly benefit from a good CNC port or an upgrade to the LT4. I would suggest that you consult someone who can tune on the dyno and increase your injectors to around a 28lb per hour if you really want to dial in the A:F.

Unfortunately, it still won't run like an L-S-1 ! (Just busting your b@!!s...I own a '94 Z-28)
Old 10-05-2005, 12:17 AM
TECH Addict

Well I don't really have the money to do the heads right now but I will later. (hopefully) Also like I said I'm not trying to build a strip car because this is my daily driver. As for the transmission it's the good ole T-56 6speed! I have 3.42's in the back and have 24lb injectors. And for the dyno tune, that will be getting done at Texas Speed and Performance since its a local shop

Last edited by porksoda; 10-05-2005 at 12:30 AM.
Old 10-05-2005, 08:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I ran that cam on a 111LSA on stock heads and loved it. Pulled nicely to about 6300.
Old 10-05-2005, 08:23 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

It sounds like it should have a nice lope and still be very streetable. If you are planning on doing the cam yourself then you are already pretty versed mechanically. It can get expensive for a prof port and polish. But you can make it flow a lot better yourself just by port matching the intake gaskets to both the heads and the intake and matching the exhaust gaskets and opening up the ports to blend it all in. Then grind off the tooling lug in the comb chamber and just smooth out a bunch of the roughness the factory left in them. It should help out a bunch. Go back and give it a good smooth out with a dremel and you will be good.
Old 10-05-2005, 11:54 PM
TECH Addict

Will any of this cause a false knock? Also looking for opinions on what valve springs to go with and if I should go ahead and upgrade lifters while I'm doing all this? Is there anywhere I can just buy a packaged setup with the springs and lifters.
Old 10-06-2005, 08:26 AM
On The Tree

That cam will be a little soft on the bottom end with stock 3.42 gears. Also, you are going to lose a little bit of fuel economy in your daily driver with it. Maybe 2mpg if you drive normally compared to stock, and more than that if you really get on it. That cam will lope and it will make a fair amount more power than stock as well if you have a good tune.

As far as the comment on intake design for the LT1, they are short runners, but the plenum volume is actually quite small. The outside of the LT1 intake is large but the inside is not. This actually hurts high RPM power but not in the powerband that this cam is designed for ( 6500rpm and below).

Good luck with the setup. Remember, headers are important on a cammed car as well as tuning, tuning, tuning. Avoid the mail order stuff and get a true dyno tune.

As far as deciding what is the best setup and supporting hardware. I would seriously consider talking to the folks at Thunder Racing about what would be a good setup as they still do lots of LT1 stuff. They have cam packages they can sell you matched with springs and other valvetrain hardware. Just tell them what you want to do with the car and they can supply you a tried and true package. These aren't the parts to be relying on internet UBB opinions of people who's brothers, first-cousin's, friends, uncle have used in the past. Do it right the first time.
Old 10-06-2005, 06:42 PM
Staging Lane

i used comp 987 dual springs with doug herbert ti retainers +.050 10 deg super locks,and comp 4771 locators.locators i machined down to fit stock pockets.but i think the comp 4712 locators work without machining. as far as lifters go stock replacements are fine. i use those on 242/250 611 619 cam without problems.i'd also skip the 1.6rr look into some 1.5rr. later on you'll want a bigger cam and it's hard to get bigger without increasing the lift also. all the testing i've done most lt1 heads give up around .600 lift so there's really no sense in lifting above that. headers are a must as well as a tune.
matt