LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

I think my car blew up...

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2005, 02:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Sometimes things like this happen. Its one of those things thats not supposed to break but theres no such thing as "a lightly modded car's timing chain cant break". Crap happens, sometimes for no reasons. And, if the timing chain did break, its a VERY GOOD possibility that there is at least one bent valve. If you bent it bad enough, you might be replacing a piston or having a cylinder honed. You can check for bent valves in most cases by taking the valvecovers and rockers off and putting a straight edge along the tops of the valve stems. You dont always have to take the heads off.

As for replacing the timing chain, Id fix it myself if it were my car but for parts and labor, thats not too bad of a price.
Old 10-06-2005, 07:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I personally don't think he is ripping me off. It makes sense that the timing chain broke. Kind of weird that it happened when I get headers, but maybe since I got more power it affected it. He said he took off one of the valve covers just to take a look at the valves and he said one side was alright. So, hopefeully everything will be alright, or I'm looking at more money. My car does have 122,000 miles on it. I heard timing chains were supposed to be changed every 100,000 miles anyway. My timing could have been off for quite sometime, who knows.

By the way, before this happened, every once and a while I would try to start my car and I would hear a clicking noise before it started. I always assumed it was the starter going bad. Well, last night when the chain broke and I tried to start it, it was making the same noise as it had been, except it wasn't starting. Does this have anything to do with the timing chain? Or, do you think my starter was just going bad?
Old 10-06-2005, 07:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Also, how would the mechanic installing my headers screw up the timing chain? Does he have to mess with that at all? Could it be possible that it's his fault?
Old 10-06-2005, 07:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Camaro 0wner
Also, how would the mechanic installing my headers screw up the timing chain? Does he have to mess with that at all? Could it be possible that it's his fault?
Some dishonest mechanics screw your car up because they want your business, so when something goes wrong, you bring it back to them.
Old 10-06-2005, 09:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by blind527
Some dishonest mechanics screw your car up because they want your business, so when something goes wrong, you bring it back to them.
OR, it could have just broken because it had 122k miles on it. How do you suppose the so-called "rip-off mechanic" caused the timing chain to break?

The headers did nothing to affect the timing chain. They have NOTHING to do with eachother.

Also, sounds like your starter is going bad. Your timing chain was either in tact or broken. Its not something that works sometimes and then doesnt work and then starts working again. Once its gone, its gone. The reason the starter was making the noise last night is because you were using it more than normal.
Old 10-06-2005, 09:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

honestly the sound you described sounded valve related, but if your chain broke then that would explain the valves not opening for each piston as you were still going. (thats what would make the air sound.)

I think it is believable story from your mechanic. just ask to have your broke timing chain, and make sure its yours off your car. Motor will run better with an unstretched chain anyways.
Old 10-06-2005, 10:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by brandboZ28
OR, it could have just broken because it had 122k miles on it. How do you suppose the so-called "rip-off mechanic" caused the timing chain to break?

The headers did nothing to affect the timing chain. They have NOTHING to do with eachother.

Also, sounds like your starter is going bad. Your timing chain was either in tact or broken. Its not something that works sometimes and then doesnt work and then starts working again. Once its gone, its gone. The reason the starter was making the noise last night is because you were using it more than normal.

OR you could just except the fact that I'm making a general statement, because there ARE people out there like that.

How could he cause it to break? Well I don't think I need to sit here and explain myself when it's evident of what someone could obviously do to to keep your business. Am I not allowed to make a general statement of a possibility with out you telling me it's not this or that..hmm...

Last edited by blind527; 10-06-2005 at 10:08 PM.
Old 10-06-2005, 11:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 97LT1
I think it is believable story from your mechanic. just ask to have your broke timing chain, and make sure its yours off your car. Motor will run better with an unstretched chain anyways.
That is pretty much what I am thinking. This sucks, my starter is going to...Damnit Oh well, I don't need to get that done right away. Well, maybe it could be something else, but who knows.
Old 10-07-2005, 07:36 AM
TECH Regular

Sorry for so long on the post to your question; I was around 4k rpm when my opti went. The plastic tabs that hold the rotor down completely sheared when I took my opti apart, I'd never seen anything like it. When it happened the car completely shut down; it would act like it wanted to start but never did because when the rotor broke it never would p/u the optical signal.
Old 10-07-2005, 07:42 AM
TECH Regular

just finished reading the rest of the posts-disregard my last post...on second thought not saying it's not possible but it's pretty hard for a timing chain to just break like that, not saying it's not possible but with 120k on the clock I would think that it would be stretched enough to have play in it...just my thoughts
Old 10-07-2005, 08:27 AM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

As a Mechanic of over 20 years I can say it is totaly possible. Not to mention your opti is driven off the end of the cam shaft so as soon as it stops turning so does the opti. At this point crank and cam referance are no longer being sent to the PCM and the car will not run There is a very good chance the valves are going to be hurt once it runs again.
Old 10-07-2005, 09:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by blind527
OR you could just except the fact that I'm making a general statement, because there ARE people out there like that.

How could he cause it to break? Well I don't think I need to sit here and explain myself when it's evident of what someone could obviously do to to keep your business. Am I not allowed to make a general statement of a possibility with out you telling me it's not this or that..hmm...
Im fully aware that there are people like that out there but going around assuming that every mechanic out there is like that is no way I want live to live my life. I guess I see it differently because its been roughly 4 years since a mechanic has touched my car other than myself and friends(which Id hardly label mechanics, haha). Youre failing to see a major factor here though. Camaro Owners car is still messed up. Its not like the mechanic is just making a list of bogus stuff thats wrong with the car when in all actuality, its fine. Im not here to start a pissing match but until its proven that it wasnt the timing chain, I feel that it is unfair for all of these false accusations on a mechainc that no one knows other than Camaro Owner.
Old 10-07-2005, 09:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TwoFast4Lv
As a Mechanic of over 20 years I can say it is totaly possible. Not to mention your opti is driven off the end of the cam shaft so as soon as it stops turning so does the opti. At this point crank and cam referance are no longer being sent to the PCM and the car will not run There is a very good chance the valves are going to be hurt once it runs again.
If one side of the valves were alright, do you think the other side should be ok? I don't know if that matters, but can someone explain to me how the valves bend, or get damaged because of this timing chain? I really hope none of them are damaged, because it will probably be a lot more money? I think he will want to take off the heads. If that happens, labor is going to kill...
Old 10-07-2005, 11:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Just because one side is ok doesnt mean the other is going to be fine as well. The way that it messes up valves is simple. The timing chain is there to make sure the valves are opening at the correct time and not coming in contact with the piston. If the timing chain breaks, the cam is going to stop turning which means some valves are going to be "stuck" open and even though the car shouldnt run for long after the chain breaks, there is enough time for the rotating assembly to turn around a have a piston hit a valve, bend it, and possibly trash the piston as well. Unfortunaly, theres not much good that can come from a broken timing chain...other than the oppertunity to go bigger.
Old 10-07-2005, 02:19 PM
Teching In

SO the car wouldent turn over after it died?
Old 10-07-2005, 04:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's simple enough to check to see if the timing chain is gone. Take off the oil filler cap in the valve cover and have someone bump the starter. If the valvetrain moves, the chain is still there. If not, it's gone.

Good Luck.
Old 10-07-2005, 04:38 PM
Teching In

Sounds fishy to me! I was putting down 400hp on a stock timing chain with over 125K on it, when I took it off to upgrade it, it looked just fine. But the forementioned noise and stuff sounds like your Opti. The EXACT same thing happened to me 6 months ago. I changed the opti out and it was just fine.
Old 10-08-2005, 11:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

My car isn't back yet, but I was thinking something. What if the timing chain is not broke and he screwed up? I left him a message on his machine saying that I wanted to see it. I wonder if he goes through all that work and that isn't the problem, if I will have to pay? I don't think he would do this, but I was thinking it would suck to have to pay for the timing chain and the "actual" problem he has to fix...
Old 10-08-2005, 12:18 PM
hashtagBMW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your going to have to pay. He is going to say fixing the timing chain was part of the "trying to find" the problem.
Old 10-08-2005, 12:36 PM
9 Second Club

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

yeah... that is the sad world abotu this ****.... if he fixes something that wasn't the problem... you still have to pay up... only way you could get aound that sad fact would to have the mechanic sign a contract that says you will pay him $700 to fix the problem. If the mechanic says it is the timing chain, and makes it sound like that is absolutly what it is no doubt, then signing a contract would be no big deal. But good luck getting a mech to sign anyhting... they dont exactly know what else is possibly wrong with your car, so they won't say that the timing chain replaced will make you good to go.

Quick Reply: I think my car blew up...