LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

I think my car blew up...

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2005, 01:06 PM
hashtagBMW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Camaro 0wner im sure your mech. is being honest, most mechs. dont play this BS game they do have other customers. Just ask him to only do the nescacary work, but make sure its good work, know what i mean?
Old 10-08-2005, 06:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I sure as hell wouldnt pay him to tear down my motor for a broken timing chain when there are ways to tell if its broken without turning a screw, nut, or bolt.
Old 10-08-2005, 06:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A lot of mechanics like to take advantage of teens. It happens all the time. I wouldn't pay for that either.
Old 10-09-2005, 02:20 AM
Launching!

Timing chain sounded halfway reasonable. Him saying that he already looked at a valve is complete bullshit. Yeah I'm sure he already pulled a head, and if he actually did that would **** me off even more. I would put money on it being your opti. Easiest way to tell is go pull the drivers side valve cover and crank the motor. If the valvetrain moves then he is full of **** and find someone else to swap your opti. If it is completely still then you really did break a chain.
Old 10-09-2005, 03:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Well, I'll find out. If my car runs, he fixed the problem...I'm going to request to see the chain though. How should it look? Completely ripped apart?
Old 10-09-2005, 09:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Anyone have a clue? I just want to know as much as I can about the situation.
Old 10-09-2005, 09:13 PM
Launching!

Do what I said, pull the drivers side valvecover and have him crank the motor.
Old 10-09-2005, 09:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well, the car is at his shop. They had it all day on friday. So, I would assume all of that would be done, you know? I'm surprised it wasn't done on friday.
Old 10-09-2005, 10:04 PM
Launching!

Just because they had it all day doesn't mean they even started on it.
Old 10-09-2005, 10:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Good point, but he said it should be done by friday around 4ish. So, that means they were starting on it.
Old 10-09-2005, 10:14 PM
Teching In

this whole thing is an opportunity to learn to wrench. I am 18 and have been around shops a bit(my dad is a shop manager/25 years of mechanics) and can say I dont trust shops much. I do believe that your mechanic is being honest on what he thinks it is. this shouldnt be that hard to do a diagnosis on.however, mechanics do make mistakes, its only human to do so. hope it was just an opti for ya!!! by the way, look up "interference engine" some time. should be able to find a diagram of how the timing chain is crucial.
Old 10-10-2005, 10:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Update!

Alright, the mechanic called me this morning and told me my timing chain cover broke as well. What is that and do I really need it? He said he had asked some other LT1 owners and they said this kind of thing usually doesn't happen. He was really shocked when he found this out. Apparently, the timing chain snapped in half he said. So, he has to add an additional $100 to the bill for the part. (no extra labor) Anyone ever hear of this? Like I said, the mechanic said this kind of thing doesn't happen to often. What do you guys think I should do about the timing chain cover? What is it exactly? Whatever it is, apparently the cover didn't do a damn thing. It broke as well, so what is the point in having it, you know?

He said they didn't have the timing chain cover anywhere close, so it would have to be ordered. Hence, me not getting my car until tomorrow...
Old 10-10-2005, 11:05 AM
TECH Regular

timing chain cover is well.....a cover for the chain. it covers the length of the chain from the cam to the crank and has a hole in the bottom of it where the snout for the crank goes through for your pulley. yes you need it..it has a gasket and the chain gets oiled that way. could it be broken? i think you would have seen oil under the car if it "broke" or something. maybe if the chain "whipped" around for a few revolutions it MIGHT have made a dent or hole in the cover.hope this helps...

Also......i was never under the influence that the LT1 was an interference engine?!!!?

by interference he(87lt1rx7) means...when the chain breaks. the timing of when the valve opens and closes doesnt "mesh" with the piston being where it should and the piston hits the valves (the piston is at top when the valves are fully opened on that particular cylinder), thus bending them. Civics and imports are notorious for this problem and for the fact that the have timming belts and not chains.

Something sure sounds ODD to me about this......

Last edited by LSWon99; 10-10-2005 at 11:10 AM.
Old 10-10-2005, 11:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

How much is stuff like this? He is charging me an extra 100. That is a lot for a cover, isn't it?
Old 10-10-2005, 11:17 AM
TECH Regular

well just checked EBAY and there are two on there.....ones is 19.99 + 8.00 shipping and the other is 24.99 + ? shipping. the 24.99 one is a brand new GM part number item.
Old 10-10-2005, 12:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

You would have def. seen oil if your timing chain and your cover broke. My cover leaks, which is notorious on LT1's.
Old 10-10-2005, 12:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well, at least I will be getting everything new. I asked the mechanic why it was so expensive and why he couldn't get it at the dealer or something? He said because for my car it's different. Something else broke called the timing chain cover that is not the same one I'm getting. The ones that are cheap are something different and crap. Apparently this one has 4 screw welds and something else...I don't know, but I asked about it. When he was explaining it, things made a lot more sense.

Before this happened, I could hear a ticking noise coming from my motor all the time. The more I accelerated, the mroe it would tick. Could this have been a sign to the timing chain getting ready to break? Or something that could have caused it. My car has always made that little bit of ticking noise and I took it to a few mechanics. They told me it was no big deal. But now, I'm thinking that it could be related. But what do I know...
Old 10-10-2005, 12:54 PM
Launching!

hmmmm, Me thinks you're getting farked.
Old 10-10-2005, 12:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Camaro 0wner
Well, at least I will be getting everything new. I asked the mechanic why it was so expensive and why he couldn't get it at the dealer or something? He said because for my car it's different. Something else broke called the timing chain cover that is not the same one I'm getting. The ones that are cheap are something different and crap. Apparently this one has 4 screw welds and something else...I don't know, but I asked about it. When he was explaining it, things made a lot more sense.
If he's not replacing things stock for stock you're getting hosed. He has to get what you tell him to get. And yes, he can get the stock timing chains at dealers. He said it himself, he asked LT1 guys and they said it's not normal, so how is that piece crap? Tell him you want the stock parts. This guy is pretty much mixing and matching of what he can just find, without putting the right parts in.

Here is how much a stock LT1 timing chain is: 1993-1997 stock timing chain 10128485 $24.07

Not sure about the timing chain cover. So tell me, what will happen if he "fixes" everything and something happens again? Even though he's telling you he's not charging labor, he is. A timing chain cover should be like 40 bucks. He's raising the price on this so called *part that is cheap and he's getting a better one* and putting a stock one in, so that way he gains the 60 bucks he lost for not charging you labor.

The ticking sound could have been your lifters.

Last edited by blind527; 10-10-2005 at 01:03 PM.
Old 10-10-2005, 01:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

We will see. I'm going to get the part number and all the parts that he got. I will go and get them priced at another place. I told the mechanic I would buy the parts and that I want to pay for the most reasonable price. He said I wouldn't be able to find it for any cheaper. So, when this is all done, I'm going to call up some places and ask for that part number and find out how much it is. If he has charged me a lot more, I'm going to tell him, that I'm paying the amount for the parts, "I could" have gotten them for.

$100 and $20 is a big difference. I called Advanced auto and they told me a timing chain cover was $14.99. I told the mechanic that as well. Like I said, he told me it was something different. When the car is done and I look over the price, they always leave the car out front with the keys in it. Regardless, I have another key. If he over charges me, I'll pay what needs to be payed. (full labor charges and parts) Any other BS or marked up prices I won't deal with. I'll give him the money I should be paying and take my car and leave. Take me to court...He'll lose. I'll keep the receipt and show I was over charged...

Quick Reply: I think my car blew up...