LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8
View Poll Results: What CAI should I get?
Moroso
18.87%
K&N FIPK
32.08%
SLP
22.64%
Arizona Speed & Marine brand
3.77%
Other
22.64%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Anyone have this CAI?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2005, 10:46 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by screamin94Z
K&N stinks, the filter doesnt stay on for crap if you daily drive it. i have it and didnt notice a difference over the drop in filter in the stock airbox.
I have the same problem. I just wired it up with mechanic's wire though, so hopefully, I won''t have this problem again. I wouldn't recommend a K&N tot anyone, for a LT1. There is only maybe an inch or so to clamp on with.Over time, I guess vibrations and bumps eventually wiggle the filter down long enough, then it falls off and rests in the compartment inside there.

I strongly suggest anyone who has one, to reach in through the hole, and see if they can feel the filter on it. If you can't feel it through that hole, it isn't there. For a while, i thought I just couldn't reach it, but it was off. Should be easy to feel when it's on.

I'll avoid all of this mess when i get a SS hood/box. I know that a CAI is probably a tad more benificial, but the airbox comes with the hood,and I'm sick of the CAI, and hood should be functional, somehow, imo.
Old 10-16-2005, 01:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hey for the LPE users, I can't find a single picture on the net that shows the whole CAI. Does it just replace the bottom airbox from the stock intake, or is it a whole new intake?? I thought I saw one pic of it, but that one had the filter still up in the engine bay and not down in the "cold air." They call it a Cold Air Intake, it better go far down to the "cold air."
Old 10-16-2005, 01:27 PM
Staging Lane

When I bought my Z it already had the K&N on it. My filter has stayed on so far, but I had to take it off once, and it was a pain to get it back on. I don't think the people who put it on knew what they were doing, and since I don't have the instructions, I don't either.
Old 10-22-2005, 10:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ok, I'm re-awakeing this thread. I just installed the LPE intake today. It was a little more pain than I thought, maybe cause it was raining and I was under some gay tent and couldn't see hardly. But I need some more help. For the firebird's, you had to unscrew the headlight module from an airbox, and then it said to use the "hook and loop tape" to secure it horizontally on the block-off plate (supplied). I couldn't quite get it flush on the block-off plate because their is this small airbox sticking out, directly under the headlight. I couldn't get it out because it was too big to fit through the hole, it would have to come out some other way. Did anyone get rid of this box to fit the headlight module correctly??? I might just tape it vertically on the fuse box. Also, did anyone keep the under-tray off for more air? And I never drilled holes in the metal to fasten the block-off plate to the car, it's not like it's gona fly off.

And for the outcome: I don't feel any difference in power to tell you the truth. My car is stock, so manufacturer rates it 12HP max gain. I hear that it gives you top-end power, which I didn't get to do. It f-ing raining again (EVERY WEEKEND!) and I can't hit it even in 2nd without spinning out. So the only way to fell the top end, was to be in 3rd gear, but I would be going about 100mph by the end of 3rd gear. I'm just gona have to wait untill it clears up to play around.
Please answer some of my questions. Thanks
Old 10-22-2005, 11:32 PM
TECH Resident

I have the Moroso one and have had no problems with it. Picked it up at Summit Racing [live 45min away]. I use my dads credit card to buy stuff online. I just give him my money in exchange.
Old 10-23-2005, 04:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

I take back what I said about not feeling a powergain. It dried up today, and I started testing it out. It does pull harder on the top end, now throws me back when shifting into 2nd.
Can anyone answer a few questions in my post #44?
Old 10-24-2005, 12:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have a MTI CAI on my car and they claimed a dyno proven 17 rwhp gain, but then again they don't make it anymore so I have no idea what I gained. Between it and the MadZ28 tuning I bet I have a 20-25 rwhp gain though. Not too bad for such easy work.
Old 10-24-2005, 03:50 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ralls
I was going to buy the Lingenfelter CAI last night, but my mom's credit card has like no money in it untill she gets paid. She can never save her money! So on friday, i'm getting the kit. Thanks for the posts and helping me decide. Peace
You are bitching about your mom not being able to save money and she is buying the CAI....get a freakin job
Old 10-24-2005, 05:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

You're such a f*cking moron. Why don't you read all the posts before you say stupid ****. You're the kind of person I despise. I already said that I have the money, but I don't have a credit card to buy stuff online. Because my dumb bank won't allow me to get a credit card. And I do have a job ***
Old 10-24-2005, 09:47 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Ralls
Why don't you read all the posts before you say stupid ****.

ralls has a point, could have saved yourself the trouble of cramming your foot into your mouth.
Old 10-24-2005, 09:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

When I owned my '95 Trans Am, I chose a Moroso. Easy to install, and performance increase is pretty much the same for all of 'em...I'm not aware of an LT1 CAI that flows significantly more than any other brand.....take your pick...they're all pretty good.
Old 10-24-2005, 10:52 PM
Teching In

The moroso was designed by Lingenfelter

Quick Reply: Anyone have this CAI?