LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LE1,2,3 VS AFR VS Stock Ported

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2005, 04:10 AM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Quickshotkimber
What is the fastest LE H&C or stroker for that matter. I havn't seen one within .8 or .9 tenths of mine. It is very important to compare results. LE may have a great product, I just havn't seen enough #s yet.
I'm within .9 of you on a stock bottom end, BABY cam(220/226), LE 1.5 heads, shitty track, horrible weather, 3000 midwest stall, and with a car that got 20+mpg when it was daily driven 80 miles per day. The cam was so small the car didn't even lope through the exhaust. I never to go finish out that setup, but I'm sure it would've went 11.2x's with the rest of the bolt ons, a bigger stall, more tire, and better weather. I'm very confident the 383 would've ran a 10.9x once it got dialed in with the le2 package and the a4. Also IMO an a3 car isn't a TRUE street car either.
Old 10-31-2005, 09:01 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Just because it has a TH350 doesnt make it not a street car, I have plenty of buddies with Th350s in their street cars. If it had a power glide then I could see your point, but a TH350 is fine on the street.
Old 10-31-2005, 04:04 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with you!!! Power does not mean speed. My car is a textbook example of this. I've got a hell of a lot more motor than my buddies cars, but my setup is horrible. If I'm hooking up, I'll run from their cars, but I do not hook up at all. Stock suspension, very little weight reduction, barely any stall, puny rear gears. I can do a quarter mile burnout, but cant run a good quarter mile time. On 10.5 inch slicks can only manage a 1.9 60 foot. My buddies almost stock car with a 150 shot of nitrous, that he does not spray til after the 60 foot point, with full suspension, gears and stall, pulls low 1.6's all day long. Drop my motor in his car and I'd be pulling 1.5's easily. Setup is everything!
Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
Car has way to much to do with that stuff to compare. One b-body is going low 12s with boltons low 11s in the same car on spray. Does not mean he is making more power than the next guy he has just done everything else he possibly can to go fast. Lightening, suspension, vacuum pump for the crankcase, dyno tuning, etc.. He goes fast with the package not the power a lot of cars make a lot more power and are much slower. I do believe AI can get some more power than Lloyd just not over a second worth with the same displacement and similar car/conditions, as expected they also charge more for that extra power, Lloyds popularity stems from the combination of performance and reasonable price, not necessarily all out performance. He offers a great value which isn't always the absolute max power.
Old 10-31-2005, 04:17 PM
hashtagBMW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

***** true, you can not just build a motor, its the car that needs to be built. You cant just build a stroker with insane **** on it, how is you car going to react to a huge kick in th face of power?
Old 10-31-2005, 04:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by skinnies
I'm within .9 of you on a stock bottom end, BABY cam(220/226), LE 1.5 heads, shitty track, horrible weather, 3000 midwest stall, and with a car that got 20+mpg when it was daily driven 80 miles per day. The cam was so small the car didn't even lope through the exhaust. I never to go finish out that setup, but I'm sure it would've went 11.2x's with the rest of the bolt ons, a bigger stall, more tire, and better weather. I'm very confident the 383 would've ran a 10.9x once it got dialed in with the le2 package and the a4. Also IMO an a3 car isn't a TRUE street car either.

Honest to god...Shoulda, coulda, woulda!

You can't claim anything if you've never even been close. And FYI, .9 is a HUGE difference. An 11.7 is no where even close to a 10.8...night and day.
Old 10-31-2005, 04:21 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Tireburnin

You can't claim anything if you've never even been close. And FYI, .9 is a HUGE difference. An 11.7 is no where even close to a 10.8...night and day.
I didn't say it was close, he asked though for a stroker that was within .9 of him and I gave him my setup that was on stock bottom end. Needless to say his car is A LOT more radical than mine was also. I'd love to see him come to kc in the summer and I'd bet he wouldn't run any better than 11.30's.
Old 10-31-2005, 05:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You can't expect to run a custom cam, ported heads, mail order tune and run bottom of the 11's first time out.
I didnt expect 11s my first time out, I did expect to just touch the 12s if I got traction.
I bet you can just guess what I felt like when my best run was a 13.6 @ 103! yes that was with my current setup but it wasn't running properly and I didnt know. yeah I know people wonder "HOW COULD YOU NOT KNOW YOURE MISSING 100 HP" but I have NEVER ridden in a fast car. as far as I know my car is the fastest thing I have ever ridden/driven. yeah im deprived

I'm very confident the 383 would've ran a 10.9x once it got dialed in with the le2 package and the a4.
you need to tell me your secrets. I have LE3/A4/3500 stall/3.73s. I wanted to hit 11s, after that I don't know what kind of goal I'll set I just want to get into the 11s.
alot of old car guys around here told me I would NEVER hit 11s with my combo. well I ran a 12.6 @ 109 w/ 2.0 60' and I still have a ton of issues I need to sort out. hell I ran a 12.6 @ 106 w/ a high 1.7 60' after the car had ran for over an hour hotlapping it for 3 runs. runs on same night just let the car cool down for over an hour on the 109 pass.
I figure if I was able to pull a high 1.7 60' again (street cars kept draggin water on to the track and traction was impossible) and maintain the trap speed I bet I could hit low 12s. only weight reduction is !spare tire & jack but my fat *** (225 lbs) and heavy wheels offset that.

I need to know what to do to help me get solidly in the 11s! I know nothing about setting the car up, suspension, all that. if skinnies is right and a properly setup LE2 383 should hit 10.9s it gives me hope that my LE3, which will make some compromises to run on the street, could hit mid 11s.

I think my biggest problem areas (non-engine and power making related) are my stock 135,000 mile suspension and full weight. oh yeah time and money too lol

Last edited by zigroid; 10-31-2005 at 05:24 PM.
Old 10-31-2005, 05:32 PM
On The Tree

I think you almost have the record. Only one problem though, it would be for excuses instead of ETs You aren't even within 6 mph of me and I STILL run a stock bottom end! Do you think that I am even close to being finished??? We've only spent 30 mins tuning the damn thing. As far as your shoulda, woulda 10.9s go.... I'll be in the 9s with my 383 with LT1 castings when the times come. Sorry you have such low expectations. As far as the A3 goes, your an idiot if you think that it makes my car quicker. It was cheaper to sell my 4L60e and buy a TH350 than pay some big bucks to get the stocker to hold up. No trans brake here BTW, there are alot of camaro, firebird, and chevelle owners out there that need to be informed that they no longer own a "TRUE" street car
Old 10-31-2005, 05:32 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Skinnies looks like that lil cam I done for you while ago ,made some serious power across the curve have to remember though a3's were in just about every car from the showroom in the 60's and 70's and they were street cars unless GM, Ford, Pontiac, etc lied to everyone.....comforting to see your baby cam I had a hand in, was used as a comparison..
Old 10-31-2005, 05:40 PM
hashtagBMW

Joe, i hear your cams are sick!!!!!
Old 10-31-2005, 05:54 PM
On The Tree

I didn't say it was close, he asked though for a stroker that was within .9 of him and I gave him my setup that was on stock bottom end. Needless to say his car is A LOT more radical than mine was also. I'd love to see him come to kc in the summer and I'd bet he wouldn't run any better than 11.30's.
You are really cracking me up Try to read a little slower. I said a heads and cam car, like MINE, or even a stroker for that matter. Now you say my "RADICAL" car wouldn't run quicker than an 11.30 at your track. Yet you were "SURE" and "CONFIDENT" that your "baby cam" setup would have gone 11.2s. Maybe I should start paying more attention to guys like you. You actually think that your car was faster than mine. You are a joke.
Old 10-31-2005, 05:56 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Tireburnin

If I ever get to meet ya at the track, I'll buy you a beer
Old 10-31-2005, 06:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by zigroid
I didnt expect 11s my first time out, I did expect to just touch the 12s if I got traction.
I bet you can just guess what I felt like when my best run was a 13.6 @ 103! yes that was with my current setup but it wasn't running properly and I didnt know. yeah I know people wonder "HOW COULD YOU NOT KNOW YOURE MISSING 100 HP" but I have NEVER ridden in a fast car. as far as I know my car is the fastest thing I have ever ridden/driven. yeah im deprived

I need to know what to do to help me get solidly in the 11s! I know nothing about setting the car up, suspension, all that. if skinnies is right and a properly setup LE2 383 should hit 10.9s it gives me hope that my LE3, which will make some compromises to run on the street, could hit mid 11s.

I think my biggest problem areas (non-engine and power making related) are my stock 135,000 mile suspension and full weight. oh yeah time and money too lol
Hey man, sorry that part of the post wasn't directed towards you at all. It was just a vague statement, thats very true. I have seen this plenty of times, thats why I said it. I agree you have alot of bugs to work out still, nothing wrong with that. In fact i believe you will surpass your goal b4 long actually. What I believe has made it difficult for you has been the huge jump you did, If I read your posts correctly you went from a stock engine car with minor bolt ons to a LE H/C 383, with more bolt ons. Jumps like that usually have many bugs/issues to work out to get runnning 100%. As far as what other poeple say about your goals...who cares man. In the racing/spectator portion of this sport there is always more people saying it can't be done than supporters. Brush there statements off, because it will just take persistance to get it all right.

I believe you do have some power issues to work out as well. 1. Your exhaust, 2. Your tune. If I remember correctly again, your exhaust has multiple leaks, etc. This can be a big problem, also I believe with a H/C 383 you should Definately have some LT's and good flowing exhaust(prefer No cats), this combined with a mail order tune is a big problem as far as I am concerned. Take the time to get your exhaust right, and a good dyno tune...this should free up alot of power your missing.
Weight reduction will help alot as well, I would think some supsension/tire changes should get your 60ft were it belongs. Even a 1.7 isn't very good for a stalled Auto. There are many guys running 1.5's on almost stock suspension and MT DR's.
Old 10-31-2005, 06:57 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Quickshotkimber
You are really cracking me up Try to read a little slower. I said a heads and cam car, like MINE, or even a stroker for that matter. Now you say my "RADICAL" car wouldn't run quicker than an 11.30 at your track. Yet you were "SURE" and "CONFIDENT" that your "baby cam" setup would have gone 11.2s. Maybe I should start paying more attention to guys like you. You actually think that your car was faster than mine. You are a joke.
Maybe you need to read slower also, I said at here you'd be 11.30's in the summer out here!!!! Winter times comes and the DA drops several thousand. Also I have a friend who runs out your way and can attest our track here SUCKS compared to the ones you guys get to run at. No way my car was faster than yours and I'm not claiming that, especially since I had the tiny *** cam. I do have an ls1 though that probably has 1/2 the money in it that your car has that I'd love to give ya a run with.

What kind of DA you run your 10 sec pass in? Corrected my pass was a high 11.4x at 118+mph, gotta love racing in the summer in Kansas. If your running in high DA then I can't imagine what it'll do with close to zero DA.

Don't get your panties in a wad, I give you props for setting the car up the way it needs to be set up, but you act like nobody with LE heads can run close to you. The problem is people who run Lloyds stuff are on a major budget and don't set the car up correctly. Thats why with the baby cam and a mail order tune I can run faster than the 383 guys, because they don't set their cars up correctly.

Joe, yes the lil cam did great for my setup, made a killer street sleeper. Car sounded like it only had exhuast and would run consistent as could be on the streets.

I'm still against putting an a3 in a 4th gen and calling it a true street car. Hell cars back in the day came with glides, so does that mean a 4th gen with a glide is a true street car? Thats just like the guys around here who trailer out to the street races and say they have street cars. To me a true street car is something you can drive coast to coast without any problems, and not cost you a million dollars to do so.
Old 10-31-2005, 07:44 PM
9 Second Club

Maybe you need to read slower also, I said at here you'd be 11.30's in the summer out here!!!! Winter times comes and the DA drops several thousand. Also I have a friend who runs out your way and can attest our track here SUCKS compared to the ones you guys get to run at. No way my car was faster than yours and I'm not claiming that, especially since I had the tiny *** cam. I do have an ls1 though that probably has 1/2 the money in it that your car has that I'd love to give ya a run with.

What kind of DA you run your 10 sec pass in? Corrected my pass was a high 11.4x at 118+mph, gotta love racing in the summer in Kansas. If your running in high DA then I can't imagine what it'll do with close to zero DA.

Don't get your panties in a wad, I give you props for setting the car up the way it needs to be set up, but you act like nobody with LE heads can run close to you. The problem is people who run Lloyds stuff are on a major budget and don't set the car up correctly. Thats why with the baby cam and a mail order tune I can run faster than the 383 guys, because they don't set their cars up correctly.

Joe, yes the lil cam did great for my setup, made a killer street sleeper. Car sounded like it only had exhuast and would run consistent as could be on the streets.

I'm still against putting an a3 in a 4th gen and calling it a true street car. Hell cars back in the day came with glides, so does that mean a 4th gen with a glide is a true street car? Thats just like the guys around here who trailer out to the street races and say they have street cars. To me a true street car is something you can drive coast to coast without any problems, and not cost you a million dollars to do so.
I guess people have thier own view on things ..Over drive trannies 5-6 speed trannies has spoiled alot of people..more gas friendly..but in the same respect in 87' my graduation year, I drove a 69 camaro to and from school ,to and from work , cruised on the highway on trips, you name it...I cant see the difference only to say its a over drive..thats personal preference more than anything... ask 100 people and you will get a aray of answers on what a street car is.. thing is thier is no definition to my knowledge... Its owner defined...
Old 10-31-2005, 08:00 PM
On The Tree

My tens were run at well over 1500 DA. There were at least 8 ten second passes that day. I recently went to an 1/8 mile track where the D/A was well over 2500 and ran low 6.9s all day. Easily in the tens.

If you go back to the original post, I am asking what the fastest LE cars are running. I constantly read how great thier product is and how knowledgable they are. I have not seen anything above average. With all of the packages that him and Bret have sold, I figured that there would be at least a few cars set up to perform at the track. Bret is always claiming that he has discovered ways to increase HP and TQ with less duration. I just have yet to see the proof, that's all.

As far as the A3 goes, I miss my 4L60e. I would easily be cutting 1.40 60fts with that 3.06 first gear But just like alot of guys, I am on a budget, and the TH350 was a cheaper option versus the built 4L60E. I was cutting 1.51s with a cam and stall similar to you with the stock tranny.

Quick Reply: LE1,2,3 VS AFR VS Stock Ported