LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Best heads?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2005, 09:16 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I browsed over the whole thread since it seemed like nothing but bitching...

But if money is really NO restriction at all, then find someone competent enough to convert some SB2.2 heads to work on an LT1.

I believe they flow in excess of 500cfms and can let you easily obtain 700rwhp naturally aspirated.
Old 11-28-2005, 01:28 AM
Staging Lane

Looks like I've got a few questions to answer here, but it's 1:20 am, and I need to go to sleep. I'll work on replying tomorrow.

Just to clear up the air real quick, I have heads & cam from AI. The rest of the engine was built by Bret (SStrokerAce here). AI gave me a flowsheet with the heads I got, (which I can't post right now, the guy who does my photohosting's website is down), but when it's back up I'll get some pics up. Bret ran the heads on a flowbench as well, and got the same #'s, so no, AI did not inflate their flow #'s. My head & cam package was already almost done before I even knew much about Bret, but I was in his area at the time, heard good things about him, so gave the stuff for him to do. He said he'd have gone with a different cam route, but honestly, do you know any 2 cam guys who will grind the exact same cam for a combo? I don't. He didn't talk any crap about AI to me (as the customer), to make me second-guess spending my money with AI.

Bret ain't the kind of guy that's going to try to line his pockets with green from dealing with him. You can talk to the guy and ask him questions, and he will help you without having to dump money in his pocket. Same with Ed Curtis & Jay Allen over at Hardcore50.com, and Lloyd Elliot over at CamaroZ28.com. I haven't posted much on CZ28.com very much, so I don't know if Phil from AI is still posting much, but I know he was at one point.

And yes, Bret drove 1800 miles each way from New York, to Texas, to fix an issue I was having with the engine he built. Bret went WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY over & beyond what I could ever have asked of him to do to help me get this car running. I'll elaborate more on everything tomorrow, and probably revise this post to make more sense, but I'm exhausted right now.
Old 11-28-2005, 01:57 PM
On The Tree

Wow, I hardly ever read this site and just stumbled into this hornets nest. Unlike some people , I always avoid these type threads, but since my name/setup was specifically being discussed, figured I’d register and give my $.02.

Back in the day (years ago) when Phil (at Ai) was just starting his business, I ordered a set of fully ported heads. Service before and during the sale were great. Being a detailed (accountant) person, I discussed my entire setup/plan with Phil prior to getting his heads. Since my camshaft choice was decided prior to the heads being ported, Phil was told (and agreed to) valvespring accordingly. I informed Phil (and Bret in my later dealings) that I’m not an expert and trust in their professional judgment. After my car didn’t produce the hp/tq we figured it should, and the valvetrain (after a few races) started getting very loud, I turned to Phil again for assistance. In the process of trying to figure out my missing power issues, Phil’s business got really popular (he became a sponsor on CZ28) and it starting taking weeks, then months to get an e-mail reply. This was all before Ron was there, I believe. I was a little pissed about the thought of replacing my new valvesprings (didn’t even know about the new bent Ferrea valves) and wasn’t getting the warm-in-fuzzy about the current customer service. At this point, I approached Bret to get his thoughts about my setup. He replied to my long/detailed e-mail the same day, and told me what he thought was the problem without even trying to sell me anything. I was so happy with the service/feedback that I got from Bret, I decided to ask him for a price quote. I was on a super tight budget at the time and figured there was no way I could afford his services. I was really surprised when the price quote was lower than I’d got from Phil earlier. The end result was very good, as Bret accurately stated earlier. He fixed my **** and it runs awesome!

In Phil’s defense, at that time the Comp Cams XE grinds were relatively new and unproven. I truly believe that Phil thought the valve springs he supplied were adequate. I'm sure he's not the only vendor/tuner to underestimate the XE lobes.

Last edited by LT4POWR; 12-07-2005 at 09:17 AM.
Old 11-28-2005, 10:07 PM
TECH Addict

So yet nobody has answered the main question in this entire thread. Sprayed 96Z, what kind of budget are you working with is most important? what kind of power you want will determine how much you will spend. I am currently looking for heads and comparing some things, if i had the time I would just do them myself but we all know how that is. As far as the comparison between AI and LE there are some differences but what i am looking for is mid range for my street setup. If you want some pimp LT1 heads LME in Houston Texas does a Dart head conversion for a reasonable price, now I don't just back them because they went to S.A.M. but those guys build some BADASS stuff. So weigh your options and do your own research and you should be happy with your results. And for the other mudslinging put it in PM's it really doesn't look good for either buisness to go back and forth like this.
Old 12-06-2005, 11:36 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by SStrokerAce
FWIW I have a number of guys in the 9's, 10's etc... with small blocks from the west coast all the way to Sweeden.
So what was wrong with the BRE built 96z? Find it hard to believe you have a customer in Sweden when you can't even spell it correctly.
Old 12-07-2005, 03:27 AM
TECH Apprentice

lock this thread now..........
Old 12-07-2005, 09:33 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by MrBill97396
So yet nobody has answered the main question in this entire thread. Sprayed 96Z, what kind of budget are you working with is most important? what kind of power you want will determine how much you will spend. I am currently looking for heads and comparing some things, if i had the time I would just do them myself but we all know how that is. As far as the comparison between AI and LE there are some differences but what i am looking for is mid range for my street setup. If you want some pimp LT1 heads LME in Houston Texas does a Dart head conversion for a reasonable price, now I don't just back them because they went to S.A.M. but those guys build some BADASS stuff. So weigh your options and do your own research and you should be happy with your results. And for the other mudslinging put it in PM's it really doesn't look good for either buisness to go back and forth like this.

Well the thread was answered several times before and inbetween the mudslinging that was going on. When someone ask what are the best heads, I would assumed he was referring to a specific TYPE of LTX casting (GM LT1, GM LT4, AFR LT1, AFR LT4, Trickflow LT1, SBC2.2 etc, etc.)
Old 12-07-2005, 11:00 AM
Launching!

I'm going with bare trick flow casting and LT4 intake which are both at Loyd Elliott right now, Custom Valves and port work and intake ported to match the heads. 2.08, 1.625 vales Custom Cam in the 240's at .050 with 600 lift in my 398 cubic inch LT1.
Old 12-07-2005, 11:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Quickshotkimber
Should have a comparison shortly for you guys. My car should be running very soon with my new AI heads. They are the street/strip head with the basic dual springs and steel retainers. Hope to have it tuned and some ETs in a week or so.
whats wrong with the heads that eric done for you ?
you going to sell them?
Old 12-07-2005, 11:45 AM
Launching!

Nice times LittleRedZ.
Old 12-07-2005, 05:10 PM
11 Second Club

Is anyone running TEA LT1 heads anymore these days?
Old 12-07-2005, 07:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 94Z396
Nice times LittleRedZ.
not bad for a stock 10 bolt and a slipping clutch
Old 12-07-2005, 09:51 PM
Launching!

I hope to have mine together and running around January or Feb.
Old 12-26-2005, 10:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by waltsfastz
Is anyone running TEA LT1 heads anymore these days?
I have an early set. The price was Very low for what they gave me. They have stock (1.94,1.5x) valve diameters. The flow sheet is on my web site. streetbad.cz28.com

Last edited by streetbad; 12-26-2005 at 10:41 AM.
Old 12-26-2005, 03:27 PM
Banned

Just to clear up a misunderstanding the boys at Ai and I have had about something I said in this thread.

I'm glad you finally posted this, because I have been privately and publicly slammed by you and your son for comparing apples to apples and now I have a hard number from you to give you a example.

So to wrap that all up the major parts we are talking about in the cost are:

Port work and Valve Job
Deck Milling (plus obviously your intake flange milling which you deem needed)
Assembly
Ferrea 6000 series 2.00"/1.56" valves
Comp 26918 "beehive" springs
Camshaft

Pretty much what Lloyd considers to be a LE2 setup, so the comments about me making things up and half truths aren't really that now are they?

Funny how the AI 190cc head is compared to a LE2 head, when everyone knows that even the top of the line LE3 heads cant compare with Ai's stuff in the performance catagory. Just because you may have the same components on a set of LE2.353509487609486094 version 9.6 heads, it doesnt mean that the craftsmanship and attention to details are there. Peaky dyno numbers will only get you satisfaction on the dyno, but may leave LE customers wondering, "Why doesn't my car come close to the AI cars at the track?" You get what you pay for with AI's stuff, and that is a head that can rival many aftermarket heads in performance, value and in presentation (read: the way they appear when I get them). I will never skimp on a set of heads, since thats where the power is made. I'll run a cast crank all day to be able to afford a set of badass heads....

...Heads which, by the way, are coming from AI. Have a nice day. Bretttttt, get that beer ready.
Old 12-26-2005, 06:55 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow you are still on this horse? I guess you just aren't paying attention to the forums lately. 440rwhp thru a A4, 3200 stall and a 8.5" rear in a B-body on LE2 heads and cam, plus it ran the MPH to back up the HP. That was just last week. It wasn't a "peaky" dyno number either, like everything else we come up with.

Other than the race car I still want to see some everyday numbers on the AI CNC heads. Haven't seen any yet. Get workin already. I should put a dam time limit on it if I knew you were going to take so long.... it's been a few months how about we give you two more weeks.

Nobody blames you for going with AI, it's your money spend it how you want too.

Bret

Last edited by SStrokerAce; 12-26-2005 at 08:14 PM.
Old 12-26-2005, 07:14 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Both vendors sell a good product and just have a slightly different idea of what is the best way to get to a goal. This makes neither bad it gives us enthusiasts choices and creates competition among service/parts suppliers to deliver a better product. All good things.

As far as getting what you pay for take another look at the pricing of each company they are getting VERY close, with AI you get more machining standard but the package price is with a custom Comp cam(catalog lobes) as compared to the custom stuff LE offers ground by Bret here. AI offers this option at additional cost using other grinders.
Old 12-26-2005, 08:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow you are still on this horse? I guess you just aren't paying attention to the forums lately. 440rwhp thru a A4, 3200 stall and a 8.5" rear in a B-body on LE2 heads and cam, plus it ran the MPH to back up the HP. That was just last week. It wasn't a "peaky" dyno number either, like everything else we come up with.
What did it run? Was this MPH run at negative DA?

Good for that car's dyno...it out performed all your other cars (with the same le2 parts?). Hmmm, kinda fishy
Old 12-26-2005, 09:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tireburnin
What did it run? Was this MPH run at negative DA?

Good for that car's dyno...it out performed all your other cars (with the same le2 parts?). Hmmm, kinda fishy
Come on now, Ken can't get any love on LS1tech? The car weighs over 2 tons and only a couple days after getting tuned went to the track and ran a 11.7 @114-115 the first time out. That ain't bad.

I wish we could get some -DA around here, that just doesn't seem to happen. I am not sure what the DA was for his run either. That car doesn't out perform all the others, some people actually finish setting up the car and can run the numbers you are all waiting to hear. A couple weeks before that there was a LE2 headed M6 car that ran an 11.7@121 the first time to the track as well, in a full weight car too i believe. I am sure there will be plenty more cars coming out in the future that will prove that LE/Bret also have a good thing going....so go on, show some love for the LT1 crowd.

BTW:Tireburnin, any new updates with the car yet? Shoot me a PM. Also, is Quickshotkimber still around? I have been waiting patiently for an update on how his car is doing with the new CNC heads by AI, I haven't seen much on these either....I am interested, because at one time i considered going that route.
Old 12-26-2005, 09:31 PM
Banned

It was a 383...

"438hp and 419lbs of torque with the converter locked."

"The car ran 11.7 @114 mph the other day at the track on motor hitting the rev limiter."

Full weight impala so that's like 4400+lbs, computes out to around the same HP as that full weight F-body going 121 with a 355. These are all first time out passes so they really don't matter right?

Bret

Last edited by SStrokerAce; 12-26-2005 at 10:26 PM.

Quick Reply: Best heads?