LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

700R4 Transmission?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2005, 12:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 700R4 Transmission?

I was just wondering if a 94 Z28 came with a 700R4 transmission. If not, what kind is it? Also, are the 700R4's a good transmission to have? (Do they last)
Old 11-28-2005, 12:53 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

94= 4l60e
Old 11-28-2005, 01:53 PM
Launching!

Just to add...

The 700R4 and 4L60 are exactly the same

The 4L60E is what comes stock on 94 and up Z28/SS cars. It is exactly the same as far as outside dimensions and everything, but it is electronically controlled as opposed to being entirely hydraulic.

It's a very good transmission and should be good until you do some really crazy **** to your car

Also, since you seem kind of new, at least to transmissions... when you race keep it in "D" for the fastest time. OD is a bit slower, and do not manually shift the gears because it isn't good for the tranny and also it is built to control itself so it responds slow to user inputs.
Old 11-28-2005, 08:30 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The hardparts are all interchangable and the newer the tranny the more "updated" parts it should have, meaning don't let anyone tell you the 700R4 is stronger because it is not. The computer control offers a lot of benifits and the only drawback is the line pressure rise is slightly delayed BUT Transgo makes a kit to retrofit it to vacuum modulation and retains all computer control of shifts and lockup this is the best of both world setup. The instant line pressure response of the older style vacuum modulation as opposed to computer control but still the very fine and precise control of shift points of the pcm.
Old 11-28-2005, 08:39 PM
TECH Veteran

I hear of a lot of people breaking their built 4l60e's. Why?
Old 11-28-2005, 09:42 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by dhdenney
I hear of a lot of people breaking their built 4l60e's. Why?
Incompetent builders.
Lots of places claim to be able to build this tranny few actually can for performance use. I went the local reputable shop route being fully honest about my mod plans little over a year later and still only making maybe 320FWHP that one let loose. Then went with pro-built.net have more time and about the same miles but with more power and launching on slicks and thins one on recent pan drop had no clutch dust and a fluid analysis shortly before that showed it was doing very well.

If you want to claim the 4L60E is weaker give me reasons why so I can shoot them down one by one rather than vaguely arguing the point.
Things to look for in a 4L60E builder ask if they block the accumulation if they say yes move on this is a signifigant COMMON bad choice made by "builders". Then ask about using a 9.5" converter if they say no they run too hot and are inefficient then again move along they are wrong. Ask what shift kit they recommend the right answer is Transgo ALL the sucessful 4L60E shops I am aware of swear by this kit.

On the local shops I don't care if they can build a TH400 to hold 1800hp it aint a 4L60E most shops can competently build the three speeds. Then you get folks such as yourself who don't do the background work and let someone not qualified to build this tranny for this purpose take your money and then blame the tranny. My builder has 4L60Es running consistent 10s reliably and he is not the only one capable of that FLP one of the sponsor links on the right has a VERY good builder believe his name is Chuck Johnson. There were even 10 second b-bodies running the 4L60E(annual refreshings) but eventually swapped to TH400 because let's face it a 10 second b-body is a race car it takes more than streetable power to make one of these pigs that fast.
Old 11-28-2005, 10:18 PM
10 Second Club

Holy S#!t ! ! ! it's about time! ! ! someone who finally said it! incompetent builders! 96capricemgr thank you for being so dead on about the 4L60 family trans,my feelings exactly! We build these trannys ALL the time and we love it. You can't just do a paper/rubber kit and block some accumulators call it a HP trans and expect it to last. We use trans-go in every build from stock(correction kits) to race,along with doing all updates. They do their homework on these kits and know what works.
Old 11-29-2005, 07:44 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
Then you get folks such as yourself who don't do the background work and let someone not qualified to build this tranny for this purpose take your money and then blame the tranny.
Hang on. Myself ain't looking for no 4l60e. I don't appreciate a slam when I ask an objective question. I don't need background on something that isn't on my grocery list.
Old 11-29-2005, 09:46 AM
Teching In

ok then what are whining about, im 17 and bought a firebird formula a few months ago didnt know what tranny was in it until i looked it up on the comp at work, i was told by some people i work with that the tranny is crappy and dosent hold up, my uncle told me exactly what 96capricemgr just said, kids and young guys dont know how to build them and then when they fail they blame it on the tranny when its your damn fault that it failed because you didnt know what your doin, if your car is a 94, then it has the 4l60e, but go ahead and spend the money to buy a 700r4 tranny for over a grand brand new, or spend a couple hundred and have the 4l60e rebuilt to satisfy your needs, and once agian he was right about not shifting the car let it do its own thing, because once agian wen you start wanting to shift it you going to have a lot of "operater error" and the tranny will shift slower and then you blame it on the tranny when infact you where the reason it didnt shift as well as it should. i do have a question on the torque bar, if this car is goin to be a dd, as well as street racing, do i need to upgrade the tourqe arm if im not racing from a dig.
Old 11-29-2005, 08:15 PM
11 Second Club

Hang on. Myself ain't looking for no 4l60e. I don't appreciate a slam when I ask an objective question. I don't need background on something that isn't on my grocery list.
You apparently from your sig already swapped to a 700R4 even a small amount of research shows the hardparts are the same or interchangable, so you do fit in the catagory of those who didn't do the backround work.
Old 11-29-2005, 10:35 PM
TECH Veteran

**** you man. Don't go jumping to ******* conclusions about me not researching my ****. I did the 700r4 because I swapped from M6. I didn't wanna implement the electronics. Any damn moron knows the hard parts are the same. Just because I have a 700r4 doesn't mean I don't know what I am doing. You're a ******* deutsch bag. All I wanted to know is why the 4l60e seems to break a lot.
Old 11-29-2005, 11:02 PM
TECH Addict

**** you man. Don't go jumping to ******* conclusions about me not researching my ****. I did the 700r4 because I swapped from M6. I didn't wanna implement the electronics. Any damn moron knows the hard parts are the same. Just because I have a 700r4 doesn't mean I don't know what I am doing. You're a ******* deutsch bag. All I wanted to know is why the 4l60e seems to break a lot.

Hey There's no reason to act like that. Internally like mentioned a 4l60-e shares the same hard parts as a 700r4. I don't see any advantage really to going to a 700r4 besides the fact you can get a manual valve body for one. Maybe you see more people breaking 4l60-es because they're being run in cars making the hp and tq to break one. I think stock they're only rated for like what 350-360 ftlbs of tq.

Matt

Last edited by buffman; 11-29-2005 at 11:11 PM.
Old 11-30-2005, 09:35 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by buffman
Hey There's no reason to act like that. Internally like mentioned a 4l60-e shares the same hard parts as a 700r4. I don't see any advantage really to going to a 700r4 besides the fact you can get a manual valve body for one. Maybe you see more people breaking 4l60-es because they're being run in cars making the hp and tq to break one. I think stock they're only rated for like what 350-360 ftlbs of tq.

Matt
Man, that just rubbed me the wrong way. Telling me I didn't do my research just because I owned a 700r4. I've read all kinds of his posts and what a jerk. Everyone is stupid and they don't know what they're doing. Just because I didn't go built 4l60e I'm a moron that doesn't know anything either. Like I said, I picked the 700 cuz I wasn't originally auto.
Old 11-30-2005, 09:59 AM
TECH Veteran

Oh yeah, the $2150 I put in a 700 and converter was just a little cheaper than the $3800 for the FLP setup and converter.
Old 11-30-2005, 10:08 AM
TECH Addict

Man, that just rubbed me the wrong way. Telling me I didn't do my research just because I owned a 700r4. I've read all kinds of his posts and what a jerk. Everyone is stupid and they don't know what they're doing. Just because I didn't go built 4l60e I'm a moron that doesn't know anything either. Like I said, I picked the 700 cuz I wasn't originally auto.

You have a point. However He without asking you prolly doesn't know your situation for swapping to a 4l60. It may sound Like he's a jerk sometimes (or maybe more often that not) but he does speak the truth in many instances. He prolly shouldn't have said you had a lack of research in the matter, but sometimes without indicating anything only one could assume. That sometimes can make an *** of out U and ME

Oh yeah, the $2150 I put in a 700 and converter was just a little cheaper than the $3800 for the FLP setup and converter.

what kind of converter and trans did you go with to save almost $2k on it. I've seen that FLP transmissions can be quite expensive ( I think they carry a hefty core charge) but they're well worth it.

Matt

Last edited by buffman; 11-30-2005 at 10:13 AM.
Old 11-30-2005, 10:16 AM
TECH Veteran

I would say FLP's are well worth it but money is always an issue. I looked around forever and came across this Mad Dog setup (out of FL). He had good feedback on Ebay with his trannies. His build list had all kinds of hardened parts so I couldn't find much reason not to go with it. 700 cores are dime a dozen so I figured that's why I could get one so cheap. Tranny package included converter, tranny, dipstick, cable, shipping, and no questions ask 1 year warranty. That was about $1600. I paid I think an extra $500 for anitballon plates. I broke my tailshaft at the track a couple weekends ago. I'll be wrapping up the repair today and seeing if it's still holding up. I went with a BMR torque arm relocation kit.
Old 11-30-2005, 10:29 AM
TECH Addict

I would say FLP's are well worth it but money is always an issue. I looked around forever and came across this Mad Dog setup (out of FL). He had good feedback on Ebay with his trannies. His build list had all kinds of hardened parts so I couldn't find much reason not to go with it. 700 cores are dime a dozen so I figured that's why I could get one so cheap. Tranny package included converter, tranny, dipstick, cable, shipping, and no questions ask 1 year warranty. That was about $1600. I paid I think an extra $500 for anitballon plates. I broke my tailshaft at the track a couple weekends ago. I'll be wrapping up the repair today and seeing if it's still holding up. I went with a BMR torque arm relocation kit.
Ahh okay. Good luck with that Mad Dog transmission. One guy on the Impala forum is having a hard time contacting him for warranty work on a trans that only has 4000 miles on it.

Matt
Old 11-30-2005, 10:49 AM
TECH Veteran

Hmm. The times I called him with questions and stuff, I was always able to get him. What tranny does this guy have?
Old 11-30-2005, 07:04 PM
TECH Addict

4l60-e.
Old 11-30-2005, 07:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
Incompetent builders.
Lots of places claim to be able to build this tranny few actually can for performance use. I went the local reputable shop route being fully honest about my mod plans little over a year later and still only making maybe 320FWHP that one let loose. Then went with pro-built.net have more time and about the same miles but with more power and launching on slicks and thins one on recent pan drop had no clutch dust and a fluid analysis shortly before that showed it was doing very well.

Isnt it a damn shame. Took me 3 rebuilds before I decided to do the th350 swap.

Quick Reply: 700R4 Transmission?