LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LT1 roots blower intake

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2005, 12:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm gonna try it without any runners, I really don't think it's gonna matter that much. I'm not looking for every ounce of power I can get I just want a very fun street/strip car with gobs of torgue just off idle. And here's the thing about this intake, if I've measured correctly you will not have to cut the cowl, it will be a tight fit but I don't think it'll have to be cut. If there is interest and I decide to make some kits you could use any blower you want that would fit on the intake as long as I have the blower mounting pattern so I can cut the top to fit it, but that is a ways off right now, gotta get this one done. My angle vise came in today so I will probably at least have the side pieces bolted to the motor to get more measurements this weekend.

Alvin, I've done a little bit of research on yer setup, how much power did yers make and was it a stock internal motor or did you put a blower cam and pistons in it? As of right now mine will be bone stock internals til I can pull the motor and build it, I probably won't run more than 4 or 5 lbs of boost with those stock pistons. I would love to make some kind of intercooler but there just isn't room.

Someone explain to me the difference in an aftercooler and an intercooler??
Old 12-20-2005, 12:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I think I got a peak of between 390 and 420rwhp. I had a big problem with the car laying over at 4.5k and chased my tail for quite a bit on the project. Turns out the auto was centrifically locking the 3-4 clutchpacks.

that was with 7-9 psi.

Do you need a eaton blower still? Mine is just sitting around collecting dust and i've got custom 6 rib pulleys in 2 sizes.. like a 11 and 14 lbs pulley if I remeber right.
Old 12-20-2005, 02:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Alvin
I think I got a peak of between 390 and 420rwhp. I had a big problem with the car laying over at 4.5k and chased my tail for quite a bit on the project. Turns out the auto was centrifically locking the 3-4 clutchpacks.

that was with 7-9 psi.

Do you need a eaton blower still? Mine is just sitting around collecting dust and i've got custom 6 rib pulleys in 2 sizes.. like a 11 and 14 lbs pulley if I remeber right.

PM sent.
Old 12-20-2005, 03:57 PM
9 Second Club

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

that was with 7-9 psi.

on stocker internals???
Old 12-20-2005, 04:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I never dynoed it with stock internals but it probally would have been another 10-20 because of a better cam a a touch more compression with no detonation.
Old 12-21-2005, 09:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Aftercoolers and intercoolers are essentially different names for the same thing. With a roots blower you can only put the cooler in one place, between the blower and the manifold. Which would mean you'd be stuck running air-to-water intercooler... With Turbos and Centrifugal superchargers, you can put an air-to-air or air-to-water in the plumbing between the blower and TB.
Air-to-water intercooling requires an electric water pump, and additional heat exchanger, a reserve tank, and all the H2O plumbing. For an air-to-air you just need the intercooler and whatever additional plumbing to get your air charge to the intercooler and back to the TB.
Vortech calls their air-to-water coolers "after-coolers" which is really a more correct term for any form of boost cooling because they are all "after" the blower. Procharger calls their air-to-air and air-to-water setups "intercoolers."
Hope that helped.
Old 12-21-2005, 09:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

that was with 7-9 psi.

Did you get my PM??
Old 12-23-2005, 04:43 PM
Banned

DO you have any new pics. Ilove that setup
Old 12-23-2005, 08:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

No new pics as of right now. I hope to get the stock intake off the car this weekend and bolt these pieces to the heads and get a few more measurements. Might take some pics with the side pieces bolted up just for the hell of it. Dumbass me forget to order anymore aluminum plate, end mills, injector bungs......yeah you get the idea. lol So I'm at a stand still until the end of next week at least. Just got some measurements off a cobra blower, I'm almost positive it will fit, only thing I don't like about those blowers is the TB will be on the passengers side.
Old 12-25-2005, 06:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Here's a few pics of what I have bolted up to the LT1. Got family coming in tomorrow and will be here all week so it'll be another week or two before I get anything else done. Wish Santa would have brought me a Tig welder. lol

Quick Reply: LT1 roots blower intake