LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Air pump for engine important/affect performance?!!?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2006, 03:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Air pump for engine important/affect performance?!!?

The people at the dealer said the Air pump is important to the engine run condition and they said the air pump helps push the exhaust out of the pipes,and not having one can faulty your 02 sensors....i thought the Air pump was just used to heat up the cat. converters and that the air pump wasnt neccessary as far as the engines performance, the dealer seems to claim completely different and says i NEED an airpump...it is going to cost around 350$.....PLEASE HELP ME A.S.A.P.!!!! I need to know if the air pump will faulty the 02 sensors and/or affect my engines performance in any way!! Thank you everyone!
Old 01-23-2006, 04:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

The people at the dealers are idiots.

The AIR pump only runs for about 1 minute at cold start up. For the rest of the time it doesn't do anything. Its only purpose is to supply extra oxygen in the exhaust so the catalytic converter(s) heat up to operating temperature faster.

It has no benefit to the O2 sensors.
Old 01-23-2006, 04:16 PM
TECH Regular

The dealer is full of **** and just trying to make money off of you...

To clarify it *IS* important to lower emissions during a cold-start and allows the cat to 'light-off' quicker, but it is not necessary AT ALL for the running condition of the motor itself... In that he is giving you a line of BS...

Hell, if you really need and want a new airpump, I have 4 used ones sitting around on a shelf in the garage, a couple with less than 20k miles on them... Send me $30 and I'll ship ya one...
Old 01-23-2006, 07:15 PM
On The Tree

Ditch it alland save the money for performance mods.... if your AIR pump does what mine did, a new one will crap out in no time and you'll be doing it again.
Old 01-23-2006, 07:56 PM
9 Second Club

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

lol.. i dont even know where the damn air pump is on the motor.. lol.. i haven't taken much look at under the hood of the car... I will get rid of it to have a lil less **** under my hood when i have time.
Old 01-23-2006, 09:53 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The air pump is useless. Most don't even work anyway. Take it off and save yourself a few pounds.
Old 01-23-2006, 09:54 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Dragframe
lol.. i dont even know where the damn air pump is on the motor.. lol.. i haven't taken much look at under the hood of the car... I will get rid of it to have a lil less **** under my hood when i have time.
It's on the lower left, under the alt.
Old 01-28-2006, 11:33 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by infinitebird
It's on the lower left, under the alt.
I thought it was on the drivers side front, under the intake.....
Old 01-28-2006, 01:59 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

http://www.impalassforum.com/tech/en...p/air_pump.htm

Now technically this only applies to the b-bodies but it is VERY much the same engine and management system. Without the AIR and reprogramming to delete it the cats and O2s might suffer slightly sooner death. As noted the AIR runs at startup and actually at WOT times when the AFR is rich and the O2s are being ignored by the pcm, the fresh air it provides can keep the exhaust burning so it does not foul the cats and O2s. Really not a big deal though. That TSB ignores the 94 b-body because they were out of warranty but the time GM jumped through the hoops to do this so they didn't care. They did this to get out of the warranty work on the 95-6 cars with failing AIR system still under the extended emmisions warranty.

Quick Reply: Air pump for engine important/affect performance?!!?