LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Will JB Weld work for this?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2006, 03:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Will JB Weld work for this?

I have a manual cutout on my Formula, and when we put the exhaust system on, we had to hammer the cutout up so it wouldn't hang so low...A couple months later one of the screws came off, seems like a terrible weld job, but I spray painted the cutout with the header coating stuff so it matches with the rest of my exhaust system. Is there any way I can put some JB Weld on it, tighten it hard as hell, and have it be durable enough with the heat? What other suggestions do you guys have? I don't want to actually have it welded. I have the cutout going right into the y-pipe. I'm not sure if it gets 500 degrees that far down the exhaust, that's what they rate it at.

Last edited by blind527; 01-28-2006 at 05:13 AM.
Old 01-28-2006, 11:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Bump.
Old 01-29-2006, 03:16 AM
11 Second Club

A "screw" came off of a cutout due to a bad weld? what the hell?

Cutouts don't have screws...they have studs with nuts or wingnuts. Are you saying one of the wingnuts came off? And you want to JB weld it on?

Use regular nuts and a ratchet to tighten them down, and they will not come loose. If you use something like JB weld, you're going to have a hell of a time getting it off. Loctite would be the proper stuff to use though, not JB weld.
Old 01-29-2006, 05:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MattZ28
A "screw" came off of a cutout due to a bad weld? what the hell?

Cutouts don't have screws...they have studs with nuts or wingnuts. Are you saying one of the wingnuts came off? And you want to JB weld it on?

Use regular nuts and a ratchet to tighten them down, and they will not come loose. If you use something like JB weld, you're going to have a hell of a time getting it off. Loctite would be the proper stuff to use though, not JB weld.
Really, I didn't know they had studs....

You're obviously not understanding what I'm saying. There are 3 bolts that are welded to make "studs" and the wingnut tightens over them to secure the cutout plate. The bolt, yes the bolt, came off due to a shitty weld job. I am asking if I can JB Weld the BOLT back into place with no problems with the heat.

Why would I JB Weld the wingnut? I, in no where in that post, sounded like I was explaining that. It's the top hole, so it's hard to get my fingers in there to hold the bolt while I tighten the wingnut down. There are only 2 bolt "studs" welded into place right now, instead of the 3.

Last edited by blind527; 01-29-2006 at 05:35 AM.
Old 01-29-2006, 09:51 AM
12 Second Club

my cutout only has 3 wingnuts to put the cover plate over. The rest of the cutout is completly welded before the rear end/muffler!
Old 01-29-2006, 10:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by crAzy95Z28
my cutout only has 3 wingnuts to put the cover plate over. The rest of the cutout is completly welded before the rear end/muffler!
Yes so is mine. Will JB weld help keep the bolt in the hole or do I have to get it re welded?
Old 01-29-2006, 10:35 AM
12 Second Club

oo so you are saying the BOLT on the cutout (plate side) broke off?
Old 01-29-2006, 10:37 AM
12 Second Club

Old 01-29-2006, 10:38 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by blind527
Yes so is mine. Will JB weld help keep the bolt in the hole or do I have to get it re welded?

wouldnt hurt to try it!
I can tell you this though. That i patched up the metal hose on the back of my intake for the EGR using JBWELD and it help just fine. Didnt leak or nothing.

and it was pretty solid!
Old 01-29-2006, 10:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by crAzy95Z28

Yes. I was actually gonna do that, make a picture. Yes, the bolt itself, which each are welded onto, and there are 3 of them, broke off. So now there are only 2, the 2 bottom ones. Would it be possible to JB weld the bolt so I have the 3 bolts mounted? Or would the heat be a problem?
Old 01-29-2006, 10:47 AM
12 Second Club

no heat wouldnt matter.. the intake gets hot enough, and i had JB weld on the back of it with no problems!

try it and see. Wont lose anything, but 3$ and 4-5 min of your time!
Old 01-29-2006, 12:38 PM
Teching In

JB Weld should work fine for that, I would think.
Old 01-29-2006, 06:06 PM
TECH Veteran

Why don't you drill it out and just slip a regular hex head bolt in there? When you wanna go open, just put the bolt in your pocket or your console til you replace it.
Old 01-29-2006, 07:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by dhdenney
Why don't you drill it out and just slip a regular hex head bolt in there? When you wanna go open, just put the bolt in your pocket or your console til you replace it.
Wait...drill what out? It turns out that I'm missing 2 wing nuts. I'll have to bring the bolt to a store and try to get some wing nuts to fit over it.

Last edited by blind527; 01-29-2006 at 07:21 PM.
Old 01-29-2006, 07:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Sounds like a simple task, seems to me you're making it harder than it actually is... Don't take it as an attack from me... but JB won't hold, get some real tools and fix it right!
Old 01-29-2006, 10:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by transam5.7lt1
Sounds like a simple task, seems to me you're making it harder than it actually is... Don't take it as an attack from me... but JB won't hold, get some real tools and fix it right!
I'm not making it hard. A bolt came off, I can't mount my cutout plate now, it can't get any more straight forward than that. What "real tools" would I use. I don't understand why half the people in here don't understand what I'm saying.

There are 3 bolts welded that the plate slides onto, right? 1 bolt came off, now there are obviously 2. How am I making it harder than it is? I'm not saying a wingnut came off, the BOLT came off. Are you saying JB weld won't bind a bolt to metal?

I need to go to the store and get 2 wingnuts, but that isn't what I'm asking. I'm asking if JB weld will hold the screw in place so I have 3 studs to mount my cutout plate, instead of 2.

Watch this, and pause it at 1:33

Here is a video of my exhaust. You will notice the top BOLT to the cutout is missing. The 2 bottom ones, you can see. I am asking if I can JB weld the bolt BACK onto the cutout, so I can mount my cutout plate. I almost lost my cutout plate with it only holding 2.

Last edited by blind527; 01-29-2006 at 10:13 PM.
Old 01-29-2006, 10:34 PM
TECH Veteran

I understand what you are talking about. I knew what you were talking about before the diagrams. Where the studs fell off, you should drill holes. Then, you will have a hole to slide a regular bolt through, and then screw down a wingnut.
Old 01-30-2006, 04:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

I understand what you are talking about. I knew what you were talking about before the diagrams. Where the studs fell off, you should drill holes. Then, you will have a hole to slide a regular bolt through, and then screw down a wingnut.
Wouldn't that leave me to where I am now? The only reason I would JB weld the bolt back on is because it's hard as hell to tighten it when my car isn't jacked up because of the location of it and how much room I have. I might just leave it and just 2 wing nuts to put over it. I think drilling holes would be making it a little harder than it is.

I mean, I can mount the bolt back on there, but it takes a while, and I usually need to jack up the car because it's the top one. I'll just get some JB weld and try it out, if it doesn't work, then I'll just keep my cutout on till I go to the track. The whole point is to not have a loose bolt where it's hard to get something in there to hold the bolt down and tighten the wingnut.
Old 01-30-2006, 08:45 AM
TECH Veteran

Drilling a hole won't leave you where you are at. That JB Weld isn't gonna hold. I've tried using it on a tail light mounting bolt and as soon as I started putting torque on the plastic wingnut, it broke. You're wasting your time with the JB. If you drill out the stud, you can put a bolt through the hole, slide the plate over that, put your wingnut on and you've got closed exhaust. It's the same thing as a stud, only your stud comes out. I don't know why that would be harder.
Old 01-30-2006, 09:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Drilling a hole won't leave you where you are at. That JB Weld isn't gonna hold. I've tried using it on a tail light mounting bolt and as soon as I started putting torque on the plastic wingnut, it broke. You're wasting your time with the JB. If you drill out the stud, you can put a bolt through the hole, slide the plate over that, put your wingnut on and you've got closed exhaust. It's the same thing as a stud, only your stud comes out. I don't know why that would be harder.
That's what I've been trying to say...there is nothing to drill out...the bolt is completely fine, it didn't snap in half. I don't WANT the stud to come out, which is what I have now..

Which leaves me to where I'm at. The FULL bolt is out, it didn't snap off. There isn't anything to drill out. I don't like the fact that the bolt comes off in the first place, because it's hard to stick my fingers in there and hold the bolt while I'm tightening the wing nut. The bolt is fine, it's just a bad weld and the weld broke loose. I don't have any spare bolts/wing nuts/nuts laying around my house. Like I said, the ONLY way to put that bolt stud back in is if I jack the car up because it's at the top, and it's impossible for me to get in there without the car elevated, which is why I want the JB weld to bind the bolt back to where it is supposed to be.

Last edited by blind527; 01-30-2006 at 09:18 AM.

Quick Reply: Will JB Weld work for this?