LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

backfiring and breaking up off throttle

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2006, 12:19 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question backfiring and breaking up off throttle

I've got a 95 T/A 6 speed w/ stock manifolds and cat, and a Borla Catback with the right side baffle removed..so the right side is basically wide open exhaust and the left goes through the muffler. The car (and cat) have about 80k miles.

when I let off the gas the car breaks up a lot and usually backfires a couple of times too. my buddy was driving behind me one time and he told me some flames were coming out too. I'm wondering if the old cat and free flowing catback have anything to do with the backfiring..weird backpressure? Or is it something else. The check engine light is on and it threw a code - something about low voltage to sensor, I dont remember which one I'll have to scan it again. Any ideas?

Last edited by f50nut; 02-01-2006 at 12:24 AM.
Old 02-01-2006, 12:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

same thing is happening with me but im running rich as hell and backfiring and cracklinng like no other but i just need a tune and ill be good
Old 02-01-2006, 01:22 AM
TECH Regular

right it crackles a lot..acceleration is strong and sounds great though, i have no idea whats up
Old 02-01-2006, 10:50 AM
TECH Regular

its an occurance thats common on alot of trans am. i dont know weather or not its because of the cat or the free flowing exhaust. but i do no that my old trans am was running rich and doing it alot more. i thought maybe changing the o2s would help. it made the rich part stop but the popping kept going. the car ive got now has mid-tubes, ory, high flow cat, and straight pipes after that. no resonator or muffler. the only time it does it now is when the car is cranked cold and reved. i also took off the air pump off so that slows the heating of the cat. so what i drew from all of my experience so far is that the cat being cold with the exhaust flowing over it is what causes the popping and crackling. as for flames i dont know. let me know if you need anymore information.
Old 02-01-2006, 11:45 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

backfiring on decel is common with lt1s. dunno about flames coming out the exhaust though
Old 02-01-2006, 01:40 PM
TECH Regular

hmm, well it isnt running too rich...and I haven't noticed that it's better or worse when it warms up. I'll have to check out the cat, although the crackling isnt affecting performance
Old 02-01-2006, 03:53 PM
TECH Regular

it never affected my performance either but the rich part did.
Old 02-01-2006, 04:59 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 2fast97Z
same thing is happening with me but im running rich as hell and backfiring and cracklinng like no other but i just need a tune and ill be good
this is what i understood it to be as well - a rich running condition.
Old 02-01-2006, 06:22 PM
Banned

when i had stock manifolds gutted cats and a wide open borla it did the same thing(mostly when cold). replaced my cap,rotor, coil, plug and wires and it went away. it only does it when it cold now. i heard a lot of lt1's run real lean in the upper rpm range and a fuel regulator would correct it. also every lt1 i have driven backfired when it was cold. even if the all stock ones.
Old 02-01-2006, 06:31 PM
TECH Regular

i am very new to lt1's, doesnt it not have a cap and rotor - just the optispark?

for instance if i am to do a tuneup, obviously plugs and wires, and is there something i replace in the opti? mine does it even after it's warm
Old 02-01-2006, 07:17 PM
Banned

it does have a cap and rotor. the cap looks like it's the whole thing but's not. one of the reason's you never about it because most people just replace the whole unit because of the amount of work involved. a cap and rotor from gm is like 130 bux. msd recently came out with a cap and rotor for a 150.00. msd just came out with a whole optispark unit thats billit and you can adjust the timing +/-7 degree's but i have no idea how well it works or how much it is. you can get a gm one from summit for like 250.00 for the 95-97. the 93-93 are more money.
Old 02-01-2006, 07:21 PM
Banned

i found it. summit has the msd optispark for 500.00. kinda pricey
Old 02-01-2006, 11:28 PM
TECH Regular

i'll look into it - thanks
Old 02-02-2006, 10:39 AM
TECH Regular

if youre gonna get a new opti go ahead and pick up a hayness manual. thats proably one of the best things i did when i replaced mine. step by step telling you the easiest way to get it off. best thing to do is to take the fans out to get to the water pump. but will your down there you mite as well take the air pump off and cap the manifolds or headers off. save a little weight and frees up some space under the hood.
Old 02-02-2006, 01:52 PM
On The Tree

Flames and backfires indicate unburned fuel.

1. Either the car is too rich, (not enough air to mix with fuel)
2. Or the plugs are fouled. Vicious cycle: Foul plugs cause misfire causing foul plugs.
3. Or bad/burnt wires causing misfires.
4. Spark plugs with wrong heat range.
5. Bad coil (usually symptoms show at low rpm or cruising.)

At higher RPM you have more air and fuel so it is more likely to burn. Most likely it is too rich at low rpm but that could be only part of what is wrong.
Old 02-02-2006, 10:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Assuming there are no mechanical problems, the car is definitely running rich. the flames are due to extra oxygen getting into the exhaust system somewhere, re-igniting the unburnt fuel (which means you have a leak). have someone plug up the tailpipes by holding a rag tight against both tips, and listen for a leak somewhere up the pipes (while the car is running, of course). it'll be easy to find, if you have a leak. definitely scan for codes for that indicating light. if you think it's the cat, take a temp reading just before and after using a thermal detector, or pyrometer, and the exhaust coming out should be hotter (at least 150 deg. difference). if not, your cat is bad. you didn't mention anything about misfiring, so your plugs/wires shouldn't be the case... you'll definitely notice if it's misfiring anyway, so I doubt that's the problem, considering you said the motor still runs strong. I hope this helps!
Old 02-02-2006, 11:30 PM
TECH Regular

thanks for the help guys - I do have a small leak somewhere, I'll take my thumb out and get under there tomorrow. I'll let you know what happens.
Old 02-02-2006, 11:37 PM
11 Second Club

It's normal....if the car runs hard, don't try to fix it.

Oh, and if it's an O2 sensor code, then it's in open loop with a 15.7:1 A/F ratio. Pull the PCM fuse for a minute, pop it back in and see if it goes away. PCM fuse is in the interior driver side fuse block when you open the door.
Old 02-03-2006, 01:38 AM
TECH Regular

already checked for the open loop - picked up a scanner over the holidays and flashed the computer a couple of times...tomorrow i'll go ahead and scan it again, check the plugs and find the exhaust leak. it does run hard but the sound pisses me off..
Old 02-05-2006, 02:09 AM
TECH Regular

was a slight leak, fixed that. now the biggest of the backfiring is gone

i'll keep tooling around, thanks for all the help

Quick Reply: backfiring and breaking up off throttle