LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

847? where?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2006, 03:33 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If your considering AFR210s and this cam on your 383 I would reconsider, go with bigger heads, 220 or 227 would be a better choice, solid roller cam , etc. But there are those who have strokers running the 847 or 306 but it's a small cam by comparision for your engines potential.

I had CompRs for a year, one finally started tapping and collapsed, snapped Comps crappy clip and broke a couple of Crane 99893 springs (which were a step up from what the recommended), but this was from the extra pounding of the 1.7s vs 1.6s. One new CompR and a fresh set of Crane springs took care of the problem for another couple months till she threw a rod. You might consider Morel, Crane or another brand of hyd lifter with this cam.

Originally Posted by GTP PWR
thank you for the info on the springs/lifters. I'm thinking about buying the AFR 210 heads to go along with this setup. is this a good choice? I'm going off my friends 383....he bought them and Loves them.

what lifters do you have now? I have a collapsed one in mine right now...luckily I am not driving it till summer.
Old 02-20-2006, 06:27 PM
On The Tree

then what type of cam would better suit my engine, if I get 220's? I still think of my 383 as a 350...its a habit. pop the hood....looks all stock. you had a stock bottom end though right?
Old 02-20-2006, 07:04 PM
Teching In

the part # you have is right all you have is go to gm dealer ship and they can get it for you. thats the way I went
Old 02-20-2006, 07:11 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by GTP PWR
then what type of cam would better suit my engine, if I get 220's? I still think of my 383 as a 350...its a habit. pop the hood....looks all stock. you had a stock bottom end though right?
Definitely recommend a custom grind from a reputable builder like Lloyd Elliot, Joe Overton (I'm not sure who does the best but several good builders out there that can make you a great custom hyd cam. You have a great foundation (383), especially if your planning a cam swap and heads. Personally I'd say go solid roller , some whine about setting valve lash on solids frequently, which is bs if done right with the correct valvetrain, I've seen 2 - 3 times a year maybe. This would allow higher rpm shifting maximizing your cam/heads/stroker output @ whatever it's peak is. There is nothing at all wrong with a hyd cam on a stroker, I'm not sure what other hyd cams are new and on the market bigger/better than an 847, I've been out of it for a year & catching up on info now that mine went in the shop 3 wks ago.

I did have a stock cubes w/forged TRW pistons & GM pink rods.

as for the hood popping, looking stock is fine, it's how she runs that counts

Quick Reply: 847? where?