LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

10:2:1 CR to low for 396?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2006, 03:12 PM
hashtagBMW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

And boost is way outa my budget. Now im honestly shooting for 11:1 or better CR. The main point my mech empahsized <--cant spell, was that if i build out of town, who is gona be there when it starts to knock from higher compression and the shitty gas we have here? What are you goin to do then? So now he is going to put together a ruff setup of parts and put them in on his computer programy thingy and see how it all works out.

He said that when he mentiond 10:2 he was just shooting from his hip. So i do have a chance at gettin what i want.

He also told me that i should not worry about usning "H" beams since I beams will hold up. I changed that. I am using Compstar H Beams now. He also mentioned that 4 bolt mains arent needed and the 2 bolt will hold up after a stud kit. Now im doing 4 bolt mains.

Tony.
Old 06-06-2006, 06:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Speed Density
And boost is way outa my budget. Now im honestly shooting for 11:1 or better CR. The main point my mech empahsized <--cant spell, was that if i build out of town, who is gona be there when it starts to knock from higher compression and the shitty gas we have here? What are you goin to do then? So now he is going to put together a ruff setup of parts and put them in on his computer programy thingy and see how it all works out.

He said that when he mentiond 10:2 he was just shooting from his hip. So i do have a chance at gettin what i want.

He also told me that i should not worry about usning "H" beams since I beams will hold up. I changed that. I am using Compstar H Beams now. He also mentioned that 4 bolt mains arent needed and the 2 bolt will hold up after a stud kit. Now im doing 4 bolt mains.

Tony.

Now you seem to be disagreeing with everything your builder is suggesting. Hmmmm. Why is that? So what kind of max. fwhp are your building your bottom end for?
Old 06-06-2006, 10:03 PM
hashtagBMW

Well i would like 500 Rwhp or near that, so the flywheel max will be 20% more than that.

Tony.
Old 06-07-2006, 01:33 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dude your just never going to get the DCR thing are ya?

500RWHP...good luck on that...my guess through your "unlocked auto"...350

OH yeah, almost forgot......andddddddd were outttttttttt of here.............

Last edited by jimbob; 06-07-2006 at 01:43 AM.
Old 06-07-2006, 01:48 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Honestly, I wouldn't let him talk you into something you don't want by using scare tactics. That's pretty low.

There are plenty of sponsors on here who will give you exactly what you want. And it won't knock because of high comp/bad fuel as long as you have it tuned right. You can tune LT1s to use 87 if that's all you have (won't make as much power, but will run just fine with the correct tuning). For this kind of a setup you need a good dyno tune with the tuner knowing exactly what fuel you are running. Do not settle for anything except that.
Old 06-07-2006, 03:45 AM
hashtagBMW

Originally Posted by jimbob
Dude your just never going to get the DCR thing are ya?

500RWHP...good luck on that...my guess through your "unlocked auto"...350

OH yeah, almost forgot......andddddddd were outttttttttt of here.............
I havent talked to him about DCR yet, im taking baby steps so that i can get what i watn.
Old 06-28-2006, 04:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stock Lt1 = 10.4:1
w/ GM LT4 heads = 11.0:1
And I believe bone stock LT4's came in right at 11.0:1 as well.
GM credited the LTx motors Reverse Cooling to the ability to run such high compression ratios. We run 11.0:1 down here in FL (sea level almost everywhere) on 92 and 93 octane all the damn time. ****, I ran 10psi on a stock LT1 daily and NEVER burnt a piston. Figure the compression I had under boost
If gm would do it to cars that are sold across all 50 states and he wont, Id find someone else for sure.
Old 06-28-2006, 05:07 PM
hashtagBMW

********UPDATE**********

Were building a compstar internal motor.
H Beams.
Splayed Caps
ARP studs all throught
Diamond Pistons

11:.01:1

I went down and paid for the assembly and block work today.

Quick Reply: 10:2:1 CR to low for 396?