LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Car dies in rain??

Old 06-15-2006, 05:39 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car dies in rain??

Whats up just posting this for a friend, I guess his opti got wet when he went through a puddle and the car died, so he replaced the opti and I guess a few days ago he was driving in the rain and the car died again with the brand new opti, but as soon as the rain stopped the car fired up again, ran like **** for a while but after a few minutes it was fine.

Anyone have any ideas what it could be??

I told him to take it to autozone and see if it has any stored codes.

JB.
Old 06-16-2006, 01:51 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by 00SLPSS
Whats up just posting this for a friend, I guess his opti got wet when he went through a puddle and the car died, so he replaced the opti and I guess a few days ago he was driving in the rain and the car died again with the brand new opti, but as soon as the rain stopped the car fired up again, ran like **** for a while but after a few minutes it was fine.

Anyone have any ideas what it could be??

I told him to take it to autozone and see if it has any stored codes.

JB.
Well the opti getting wet is definitely what is causing the problem, but if the brand new one does the same thing there might be some other component in the engine that is leaking or causing water/other liquids to easily get on the opti. Could be a bad water pump.
Old 06-16-2006, 02:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

might be worth takin a look at the ICM after the waterpump
Old 06-16-2006, 01:27 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by infinitebird
Well the opti getting wet is definitely what is causing the problem, but if the brand new one does the same thing there might be some other component in the engine that is leaking or causing water/other liquids to easily get on the opti. Could be a bad water pump.
Not likely.
Although the Opti seems like the logical cause, they would only mean the person who installed it, did so unsuccessfully.
90% of replacement faulty optisparks have been installed incorrectly. The seal to the water pump is very important, not to mention the timing.
I would check all your spark wire caps, make sure they are on good and tight. Make sure the everything around the coil is fine, and check for small holes or leaks in the Intake.

My Opti has worked beautifully all its life, and ive drove through some harsh rains.
Its definitly something electrical, but dont head straight for the Opti just yet, make sure everything else is fine first.
Old 06-16-2006, 02:19 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

yeah I suppose it could be something else, but I've seen those exact symptoms (car dies or runs rough when wet, slowly improves when dry) dozens of times where the opti was the problem. It's rare that another component exhibits that exact behavior.
Old 06-16-2006, 02:28 PM
TECH Regular

Check Your Junction Box Stud Make Sure That Wire Is Tight(little Red Box With + On The Top). Mine Did Same Thing ,only Died In The Rain. My Wire Was Loose And Melted The Box.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Car dies in rain??