LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

MSD LT1 Pro-Billet Distributor (Optispark) Group Purchase!

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2006, 12:27 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the whole lens is a completely different lens.. i have pics of the internals.. but i will have to upload them later if anyone is interested.
Old 07-03-2006, 12:30 AM
TECH Addict

THen who makes the lens if it's different? I dont see msd making lenses. I dont think there was anything wrong with the mitsu lens.
Old 07-03-2006, 12:37 AM
TECH Resident

here is the link to my original post with pics..not sure who makes the lens but the whole thing is completely different.. there wasnt awhole lot wrong with it, it was the design of the case really...

https://ls1tech.com/forums/lt1-lt4-modifications/526553-its.html
Old 07-03-2006, 08:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 94z28L
ah so thats why it sucks *****, look who makes the lens
LOL, my sentiments exactly, ppl diss the opti but it's an excellent design. Able to leap tall buildings in a single bound. It tracks the camshaft timing probably closer than any other previous design and as good as later models.

What goes unnoticed is that the one thing that fails the most on it is the only jap part possibly on the car. The lens upon close inspection is stamped with the mitsu icon. When you buy a reman, over and over again after checking you will notice that it is always completely replaced, the lens, while occasionally they will leave the sealed chip from the factory(flush against the opti casting) in it's place without replacing it.

My only guess is that humidity and what not in the unvented ones causes it to fail. I havent had problems since I went to vented.

On the MSD picture it looks like they replaced the lens with an all different getup, but the wheel with 360 notches is still there. So design is the same.
They may have upgraded to a "better" lens. I'd like to see it closer, how much was it?

How was the case design changed? It doesn't look changed? not like there is a lot of space to change it. I really don't think the optispark case design is to blame for problems tho, I think it fails on guys hitting high-rpms like 7grand or so, i've seen some pictures, it's like the spark ends up arcing the wrong way or through the plastic somehow. So the opti will spin high just fine but it won't deliver the spark right or short out at higher rpms somehow.
I think once u go past 7gs tho that few stock system will put up with that, so I don't blame the opti at that point.
IMO it's the cap and rotor that needs to be redesigned to insulate and control the spark better. when it its spun high it's stops distributing the spark correctly, I'm guessing like a top spinning on the ground scattering spark everywhere, why it doesn't work this way for other distributors I don't know but not many are this tight in their space confounds(cap+rotor) so that may play a role. But whatever it is it's not for ppl under 7gs to worry about.
Old 07-03-2006, 08:50 AM
TECH Resident

well the design of the housing allowed the trapping of moisture.. people pushing 7 grand has nothing to do with it.. i have a stock motor only running up to 6K and messed the last one up.. the new case design seals ALOT better than the original opti, like i said its hard to explain but when you have it in your hands and putting it together and comparing them side by side.. you can see and feel the difference..

the bearing design for the shaft to the rotor is completely balanced.. even holding it and spinning it with my fingers you can feel the difference in design over the stock unit...

but like everyone else said it still really needs to be put to the test... i drive alot everyday so it will def get the milage test from me and i run my car hard at leat 2 times a day... so it gets its share of abuse...
Old 08-05-2006, 03:47 AM
Launching!

Any plans to do another group purchase?
Old 08-05-2006, 03:49 AM
TECH Addict

I'm curious if this group purchase ever went through. Never saw any post stating they recieved it etc.
Old 08-06-2006, 08:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

Yes, the GP went through. Don't have any plans to run another one at this time.

Quick Reply: MSD LT1 Pro-Billet Distributor (Optispark) Group Purchase!