LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

maf ends. any good?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2006, 09:58 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question maf ends. any good?

I saw them in the newbie section and realized those are the only basic bolt-on I dont have. I have heard bad things but those who sell them say otherwise.

what do you guys think?
Old 07-16-2006, 10:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

they are pretty pointless. You don't want to mess around with the MAF. It's doing it's job just fine stock. The more you change, the more the possibility arises, of it getting false readings.

Above and beyond that, the stock MAF is not a restriction untill your making a good amount of HP. Thats why it's really not needed.
Old 07-16-2006, 10:17 PM
TECH Resident

ok thanks for the info. that is basically what I thought
Old 07-16-2006, 10:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

just to cover the subject before any pro MAF people post, let me tackle this part as well.

The reason that aftermarket MAF's, Ends, etc are "gaining you HP" is a bit of trickery. It's not because it's flowing more air to make power. It's because it's making you run leaner. This is helpful in a way if you have a dead stock car with a stock tune. The stock LT1 tune is far far too rich. When you throw in a aftermarket, modded MAF, it tends to lean you out, which will in turn make some more power.

But the point is that people need to understand why this power was made. If you have a good tune already, it can hinder the efforts of the tune, and can possibly make you run too lean. A tune is still the best way to correct the fuel strategy, and will work better then the unintentional changes that the MAF will make.

The other point I will not get much into because it will probably spark an argument is this. The Stock MAF is meant to read the "mass" volume of air that goes to the motor. It does this by taking a SAMPLE of air that rides across the "hot wires". It can do this accurately stock, because it's calibrated to do so. When you change things like the volume of the MAF, the frequency that it relays to teh PCM, or by not having/removing teh screen, you can interrupt this process. Without the screen and factory components, the air flow might not remain laminar (straight) as it flows past the hot wires. When this happens, you can miss read the amount of air flowing into the motor, and cause a lot of problems.