LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

I HATE my Lt1!

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2006, 12:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Cchris1109
ive learned something, when you start modding things, is when things will probably break unless you replace everything major
True but no matter what you replace it can and will break sooner or later. It's just the nature of the beast I guess. That's why some people dont mind spending the extra coin on a vehichle with more horsepower, a warrenty and more coin.
Old 07-22-2006, 12:07 PM
Teching In

All depends on how the person dives it. You beat it and it will fight back. I pound in my z28 every once in a wile and streetrace it weekly. The only probs i've had were the waterpump and the window switches. Dont give up on it, we need fast lt1's out there beating up on ls1's and imports.
Old 07-23-2006, 09:47 AM
TECH Regular

i learned to do things properly when i bought my 300$ headers. my dad always said dont half *** anything cause it will come back and get you. my 300 dollar headers turned into a 1000+dollar job BUT i havent had a single problem since i did the work, because i thought it over for a while and went through everything i knew i would need to change. that was like 4 or 5 months ago, and no problems, still passes emmisions and i drive it daily.
Old 07-23-2006, 10:20 AM
Staging Lane

Yeah the thing is that in all cars parts wear and **** goes wrong. What you have to take into consideration is that GM put their one of thier best powertrains in a car that about everyone could afford. (They put the LT1 in their flagship performance car) With that kind of investment in the powertrain they had to cut some cost somewhere, that is why I believe that these cars aren't as "put together" as say the Vettes are or any other passenger car that is 10 to 15 years old.
Old 07-23-2006, 05:45 PM
Staging Lane

ive got 160k on my car and just pray for it to hold up as my DD until i can afford something else so i can park my car and turn it into a beast. bought my car w/ 88k and had no problems whatsoever the first two years i owned it but then moving to a city and progressivly just the miles adding up is slowly beating it to ****. I cannot complain whatsoever though. my car is 12 years old, ive owned it for almost 5 years, including the price of the car i might have 8500 into it, and minus minor things there have been no problems. How many cars on the road can get beat up like ours and just take the punishment at there old age?
Old 07-23-2006, 09:59 PM
Launching!

its not just the lt1. Its all cars.

No car runs perfect.

But just stick in there, because when you see that crazy car go down the street and you wish you owned it, its that guy that stuck in there.

I want to blow mine up right now. Almost sold it and got an ss cobalt supercharge with nitrous. Pretty quick car, but it will never sound or look like my 96.
Don't give up
Old 07-23-2006, 10:39 PM
TECH Addict

Its just part of the game my friend. Somewhere there is a guy with a 200,000 mile F-Body that hasnt done hardly a damn thing...and thinks its the best car ever made, and somewhere there is a guy with a 75,000 mile F-Body that has an empty wallet and is looking for the handle to flush his toilet. Point is, they all fuss....just stick with it.
Old 07-23-2006, 11:03 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by edlt1
its not just the lt1. Its all cars.

No car runs perfect.

But just stick in there, because when you see that crazy car go down the street and you wish you owned it, its that guy that stuck in there.

I want to blow mine up right now. Almost sold it and got an ss cobalt supercharge with nitrous. Pretty quick car, but it will never sound or look like my 96.
Don't give up
Good point. Just about everyone has been here at some point. I went through it alot with my Mustang and just as much with my LT1, mabey a little less because theres no blower to add to the issues.
Old 07-24-2006, 02:54 PM
Staging Lane

my 95 ta has 206000 miles on it, it has been a great car for me, i have owned it for a couple of years all i have done is replaced opti, and put some new gears in it. but im just waitin for it to go cause i drive her hard.
Old 07-24-2006, 03:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i blew a rear main seal. how the **** i managed to do that i still dont know.

just got her tranny fully flushed to find out some selonoid spitting a p1870 code or w.e wasnt letting her lock up behind the valvebody...dropped the ******* thing down AGAIN, cleaned out the gunked **** and back up she went.

no codes as of now, but im just waiting for my opti death...and at that time i will go for the delteq conversion.

**** that opti failing bullshit.
Old 07-24-2006, 03:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Problems problems problems, what I do is collect them all like hot wheels back in the day, then go and knock them all out in one swoop. you will have to send the Gf packing for like a week but the "girl" u really love will be that much sweeter.
Old 07-24-2006, 10:43 PM
TECH Regular

mine just hit 112xxx and ive had the car for 2 months, so far ive had to get a new water pump becasue of coolant leak. the ps was hard, machanic said the fulid was bad. now the rf ti rod is bad so thats getting replaced. so im starting to see problems with mine too, but i love the car so im getting it fixed
Old 07-25-2006, 01:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

when i bought my z in october it had just under 115,000 miles had a dead passenger side window motor and a broke clip in the driver side so i have to hold it up to roll the window up. so far the only thing i've had go wrong is a wheel bearing assembly went out on me.well i guess you could count recharging the a/c on it. aside from that all it's needed is oil changes every 3,000 miles. this car is anything but a garage queen, i don't think it's ever seen a garage. it's definately been a reliable daily driver and hopefully it will be until i can afford to build it up then we all know where reliability goes after we start messing with our cars.

Quick Reply: I HATE my Lt1!