LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Optispark problems inside!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2006, 07:07 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Optispark problems inside!!!

We have a customer's '94 Corvette that we built a 383 stroker LT1 engine for, and added an ATI ProCharger D-1SC. We have tried GM Optispark distributors with no success, and we now have an Accel distributor with the MSD cap and rotor. We keep having a reoccuring problem, the screws that hold the cap down back out all the way... We have even tried Loctite on the screws. Has anyone ever had this problem, and what did you do to correct it? The car does have a camshaft that lopes at idle, but of course it still shouldn't be doing this. Thanks for any suggestions. Bob
Old 07-22-2006, 08:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats new to me. I have never had a problem with it before. Only things I can think of would be a balance issue or perhaps cam dowel too long. Neither would appear very likely to be the cause to me.

I will say that generaly, loctite will tend to crack plastic. There is proabbly something better to use for such applications.
Old 07-22-2006, 10:38 AM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I recently installed a DynaSpark for a customer and they claim not using a harmonic balancer(like many Impy's do) will cause this. I would think if this was true using a balancer that does not kill harmonics in the Right freq. might do the same thing.

One of the reasons I try to use Fluidampr's is they kill the most in the range a LT1 will run with a stock computer. Even ATI's Sight shows they do not even come close until 6,900.

Just a thought. I know you have been chasing this for a while and This one went on a 396 94 Vette also

BTW I had one other guy have his taken out over and over because one of his vacuum valves had failed. Just some thing else to check!

Good luck man!
Old 07-22-2006, 11:34 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Exotic Performance Plus
We have a customer's '94 Corvette that we built a 383 stroker LT1 engine for, and added an ATI ProCharger D-1SC. We have tried GM Optispark distributors with no success, and we now have an Accel distributor with the MSD cap and rotor. We keep having a reoccuring problem, the screws that hold the cap down back out all the way... We have even tried Loctite on the screws. Has anyone ever had this problem, and what did you do to correct it? The car does have a camshaft that lopes at idle, but of course it still shouldn't be doing this. Thanks for any suggestions. Bob
I have a 94 z28, and all i can say is get that POS optispark out of there. I went with the msd pro billit distributor. It cost 500$ but its supposed to be bulletproof. It made the car drive alot smoother and i can take it up to 7000rpm all day without a worry. Well worth the money. good luck
Old 07-22-2006, 11:45 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by LetItRip
I have a 94 z28, and all i can say is get that POS optispark out of there. I went with the msd pro billit distributor. It cost 500$ but its supposed to be bulletproof. It made the car drive alot smoother and i can take it up to 7000rpm all day without a worry. Well worth the money. good luck
I Agree 100% best 500$ spent
Old 07-22-2006, 02:09 PM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by TwoFast4Lv
I recently installed a DynaSpark for a customer and they claim not using a harmonic balancer(like many Impy's do) will cause this. I would think if this was true using a balancer that does not kill harmonics in the Right freq. might do the same thing.

One of the reasons I try to use Fluidampr's is they kill the most in the range a LT1 will run with a stock computer. Even ATI's Sight shows they do not even come close until 6,900.

Just a thought. I know you have been chasing this for a while and This one went on a 396 94 Vette also

BTW I had one other guy have his taken out over and over because one of his vacuum valves had failed. Just some thing else to check!

Good luck man!
Thanks, we'll check it out. Bob
Old 07-22-2006, 05:53 PM
Teching In

LetItRip: Where did you get your distributor?
Old 07-22-2006, 08:49 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by jb007
LetItRip: Where did you get your distributor?
nytrus1 ordered it straight from summit for me. BUY IT
Old 07-23-2006, 05:41 PM
Launching!

sounds as if the screws a a micro size to small because of the cross of the two procducts so i say go to the msd unit it will be money well spent

Quick Reply: Optispark problems inside!!!