LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Delteq/LTCC and big cam..WTF!

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2006, 03:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

fukn gimmick I tell u I buy into none of it. Mothrfuckrs and their ads too those are the fockers who should be paying us for the labor it cost us. Well not me but whoever goes through their problems

GM and ACdelco tend to last longer. I almost buy everything I replace as an original. Unless I really cant afford it at the time.
Then u get these ppl that defend them just cuz it didnt happen to them or "well that's just a few isolated cases".....chit if I wanna roll dice I'll go gambling this type of chit should be fully refunded including labor costs.
Old 07-25-2006, 03:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TwoFast4Lv
Imagine how I feel Delteq with full MSD DIS-4 Plus! and coils
Do you think that the GM opti would even last since my motor turn to 6900rpms?
Old 07-25-2006, 03:42 PM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have yet to have a GM opti it self fail at high RPMs. I have been shifting up there for years I think the reason you see so many Impy's loose rotors is they take off the Front damper and just use a under drive pully
Old 07-25-2006, 04:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have yet to have a GM opti it self fail at high RPMs. I have been shifting up there for years I think the reason you see so many Impy's loose rotors is they take off the Front damper and just use a under drive pully

is there anything that I could do if my LTcc ignition dosent work?? Do you think bob will buy it back What do new GM opti run??
Old 07-25-2006, 05:02 PM
On The Tree

...crank trigger setup...

im honestly suprised i do not see them around more.
Old 07-25-2006, 05:22 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Sneakin Deacon
...crank trigger setup...

im honestly suprised i do not see them around more.
Does not work with Factory PCM. Must have factory PCM for the little things like the dash and transmission
Old 07-25-2006, 05:35 PM
TECH Regular

Does not work with Factory PCM. Must have factory PCM for the little things like the dash and transmission
There was a Electromotive crank trigger years ago that worked very well.
The DELTEQ and LTCC are good units. Wether there overpirced etc is irrelevant. Some people feel they needed them, and bought and use them just fine. The DELTEQ is justa Northstar V8 ignition system, which seems to work for GM. The Opti is a just a badly executed design, and the most important thing with an opti is installing it correctly, and ensureing your clearances from Dowel pin , etc etc are correct. Balancing the rotor and securing the rotor tip better is all that Dynaspark does.
ANyways, I like my DELTEQ, and feel its what keep my engine happy above the factory 6300 rpm redline (LT4 factory highest redline for Optis').
Old 07-25-2006, 05:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by regorih383
Do you think that the GM opti would even last since my motor turn to 6900rpms?
I ran the same Opti-Spark for several seasons. I think that I ran it on four different motors. I shift at approx. 7200. I had DFI on my last two cars and used the factory pick-up. My new project has a FAST computer and MSD crank trigger, but only because that's what my engine builder wanted me to run.

Daren
Old 07-25-2006, 05:55 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I have had this opti on my car for the past almost 5 years now, replaced it with a complete GM unit, still run a stock style coil. If a part breaks I'll replace it with an as good or better part, but what never sat riht with me with the coil set up was that you still needed an opti. I have seen plenty cars down here and on the boards run fine with optis, making no reason to switch.
Old 07-25-2006, 06:19 PM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good thread, very informative! Bob
Old 07-25-2006, 06:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have had 3 of them fail. Not on my car but customers cars. They all say the same thing which is what many many people have said. They were racing, was about to grab another gear, heard a loud bang and the car shut off. Rotor was in about 14 pieces on each of them.

Let me say one other thing. Sure, $400 for a delteq kit is a decent chunk, but it can and does save people money. When you eliminate the high energy of the spark travel through the opti, your taking about the number one killer of the optical sensor. Many people who have switched to a multi coil system, have sense never had a failure. So if you need to spend 300 bucks on a new opti every 3-5 years, the cost of a delteq, LTCC etc doesn't seem that much.

They are both good systems. Yes some will have problems with them just like any aftermarket part, but there are still good reasons to run them. It doesn't make them bad, just because you "can" get through life fine without them. People spend much more money, on much worse things.
Old 07-25-2006, 07:00 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by HBHRacing
I have had 3 of them fail. Not on my car but customers cars. They all say the same thing which is what many many people have said. They were racing, was about to grab another gear, heard a loud bang and the car shut off. Rotor was in about 14 pieces on each of them.

Let me say one other thing. Sure, $400 for a delteq kit is a decent chunk, but it can and does save people money. When you eliminate the high energy of the spark travel through the opti, your taking about the number one killer of the optical sensor. Many people who have switched to a multi coil system, have sense never had a failure. So if you need to spend 300 bucks on a new opti every 3-5 years, the cost of a delteq, LTCC etc doesn't seem that much.

They are both good systems. Yes some will have problems with them just like any aftermarket part, but there are still good reasons to run them. It doesn't make them bad, just because you "can" get through life fine without them. People spend much more money, on much worse things.
well I was sold on the idea...until it would not work
Old 07-25-2006, 08:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ellis, did you ever try taking the DIS-4 out of the loop and running just the Delteq alone?
Old 07-25-2006, 10:58 PM
10 Second Club

I have completely removed all the MSD parts and even used different coils and modules. I have replaced the Delteq box and the opti with no change.the only thing I have not changed is the wiring with the delteq and I dought that is it. I have moved the wiring all over just in case there was some kind of interferance and no change.

yup
Old 07-26-2006, 04:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Steve40th
The Opti is a just a badly executed design, and the most important thing with an opti
I really don't see where it was badly executed. Outside of the non-vented ones which were corrected and should be considered a must do for anyone who hasn't and in my opinion is a TRUE worthwhile investment, it is an excellent design, able to jump tall buildings in a single bound. It remains on top of exact cam placement in the simplest way, via coupling. It's an excellent design.

I think that a lot of ppl are guilty of re-using the cap and rotor myself included. Also one more reason why the aftermarket is dookie is cuz no one has stepped up and offered a true UPGRADE for the cap and rotor one with better spark control. Instead they want to re-invent the wheel and line their pockets doing it. Well if they paid attention and knew what the hell they were doing they'd offer a better cap and rotor, and I don't mean those dookie ones floating around with supposedly made of better plastic resin saturated with dookie blah blah to add strength, but yet no change in it's internal design. I trust the GM resin over that any day. And u know what it won't be made becuz of greed. And that's why ppl should not buy dookie and force them to be stuck with an entire inventory of gimmick becuz they were greedy rather than trying to provide simply what we need.
Old 07-26-2006, 08:41 AM
9-Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Wonder if loctite was put on the rotor screws before the install? Every time I see this, the screws came loose. Mine shifts at 7000, and hits the PCM's internal limit of 7200 at the finish line, many times a week.
Old 07-26-2006, 08:54 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Question

Originally Posted by Ed Wright
Wonder if loctite was put on the rotor screws before the install? Every time I see this, the screws came loose. Mine shifts at 7000, and hits the PCM's internal limit of 7200 at the finish line, many times a week.
Ed, what are you doing on here, aren't you suppose to be working? lol

I've had these rotors come loose with loctite used on the screws, very frustrating to say the least.... Bob
Old 07-26-2006, 09:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ed Wright

All 3 instances to which i refer, the rotor screws were still present, the rotor simply disintegrated around them.

People do sometimes locktite the rotor screws, however a lot of people are not aware of this, nor are they willing to remove an installed opti just to take the time to do it. Not only that, but I have seen people throw the rotors even when they were installed with locktite on them.
Old 07-27-2006, 04:52 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Exclamation

All 3 instances to which i refer, the rotor screws were still present, the rotor simply disintegrated around them.

People do sometimes locktite the rotor screws, however a lot of people are not aware of this, nor are they willing to remove an installed opti just to take the time to do it. Not only that, but I have seen people throw the rotors even when they were installed with locktite on them.
I'm glad to see we're not the only ones who have had a rotor disintegrate! Very frustrating to say the least... Bob
Old 07-27-2006, 06:54 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Exotic Performance Plus
I'm glad to see we're not the only ones who have had a rotor disintegrate! Very frustrating to say the least... Bob
I wonder if engine balance has anything to do with rotor failures or maybe even vibration from accessories? All of my motors are balanced and I only run an alternator with light belt tension.

Quick Reply: Delteq/LTCC and big cam..WTF!