LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

All CAI's Considered Equal??

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2006 | 11:08 PM
TECH Addict

Default All CAI's Considered Equal??

I know this is a pretty basic Q but I am gonna order one tonight or in the AM and I dont want to see in two days I should have oredered a different one. I have been looking at the Moroso. Seems like a good price on a good CAI. I like the SLP but its a bit higher, and if they will pull the same numbers I will just get the Moroso.
Old 08-07-2006 | 12:15 AM
TECH Apprentice

Generally they all do the same goal, pull cold air from outside the engine bay. Personally I dont like the SLP because it uses 2 filters, and is just more to clean, and replace. The moroso is a great product, as well as the k&n.
Old 08-07-2006 | 12:20 AM
Teching In

I have the K&N and am more then pleased with it, but ya they are all about the same.
Old 08-07-2006 | 03:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I have the Moroso and know Half a dozen of guys that have it, no one complained about a thing.

K&N and Moroso are more or less the same, very good quality products, made out of plastic, so the heat soak is less than SLP, but thats not big a number, the SLP looks Bad *** Hands down.
Old 08-07-2006 | 03:57 AM
11 Second Club

Look at the LPE also...www.lingenfelter.com they were around $150 last I checked...I've had mine for 11 years and its been fine...great fit/finish...

--Alan
Old 08-07-2006 | 04:37 AM
TECH Addict

I like the design of the Moroso.
Old 08-07-2006 | 05:15 AM
Launching!

I have the Ligenfelter one. It fits great, and i think they are the same design as the Moroso.
Old 08-07-2006 | 05:22 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Yup, they'll all have about the same performance gains. Make mine the Trans Dapt at $130.

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku
Old 08-07-2006 | 05:27 AM
TECH Addict

I do think that some designs are more susceptible to heat soak than others. That wont show up on the dyno.
Old 08-07-2006 | 05:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Honda Hunter
I do think that some designs are more susceptible to heat soak than others. That wont show up on the dyno.

Exactly like the SLP, looking at the weather condetion we deal with, the SLP is not an option for street cars and Daily diven cars, it will soak heat after Driving the car for some time and we have more or less the same heat as the engine bay, which defeats the porpose of investing in a CAI.

Have any one tried Forced cooling? Im not really sure what is it called, but I saw the guy at the shop installing the kit for a 06 stang, it was NOS.
Old 08-07-2006 | 05:46 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by LT1BRN
Exactly like the SLP, looking at the weather condetion we deal with, the SLP is not an option for street cars and Daily diven cars, it will soak heat after Driving the car for some time and we have more or less the same heat as the engine bay, which defeats the porpose of investing in a CAI.

Have any one tried Forced cooling? Im not really sure what is it called, but I saw the guy at the shop installing the kit for a 06 stang, it was NOS.
Never heard of forced cooling. Could you be reffering to ram air? Oh btw, Ive logged 140+ degree temps from the IAT during the mid day. That's some serious heat soak.
Old 08-07-2006 | 05:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Never heard of forced cooling. Could you be reffering to ram air? Oh btw, Ive logged 140+ degree temps from the IAT during the mid day. That's some serious heat soak.

I am not sure about the name, its using Nos, not being shot in the Intake manafold but its used to cool the air in the going in the system, so far I have seen 2 installed, a nitrus system on a 06 stang, and a CO2 system on a 05 E55 K3.
Old 08-07-2006 | 12:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have a moroso and it works fine, I like the idea of less heak soak rather than the slp one.
Old 08-07-2006 | 12:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by LT1BRN
I am not sure about the name, its using Nos, not being shot in the Intake manafold but its used to cool the air in the going in the system, so far I have seen 2 installed, a nitrus system on a 06 stang, and a CO2 system on a 05 E55 K3.
sounds like a dry shot to me ....
Old 08-07-2006 | 01:37 PM
TECH Veteran
15 Year Member

I once had a CAI from a company called MTI way back in 1996, it used the plastic tube just like the K&N and I always had a big problem problem with keeping the filter secured. The plastic tube is not rigid, therefore it is very hard to keep the filter 100% securely fastened. It got to the point that the plastic began to crack from installing the filter. Also the filter installed from the bottom which sucks. I hated this CAI so it was sold.

I currently have the Arizona Speed & Marine CAI now. This CAI uses a solid metal tube so securing the filter is much better. There is no possibility of the filter working its way off the metal tube like what happens on the non-rigid plastic tube. Another plus is the filter installs from the top throught the hole in the chassis so filter servicing is a cake walk. The AS&M is the most expensive CAI out there but when you factor in reliability and ease of servicing it is well worth it. I can remove the filter in less than two minutes with out having get on my back. These benefits can also be applied to the Moroso CAI as well. The Moroso is less expensive but it has the metal coupler that secures the filter tightly just like the AS&M plus the filter goes in the top too. I believe that these two CAI's for the LT1 are the best all things considered and provide the most piece of mind and ease of servicing.

I have read that many people who have the K&N have problems with the filter staying on, I think the plastic tube is not as reliable as the metal. I personally would not go hacking up the chassis to ease in the filter servicing. I would consider selling your K&N and going with the Moroso CAI or if you want to spend the extra dollars go with the AS&M. My AS&M is much louder in terms of the sucking sound than my Moroso was, im not sure if this is indicative of anything. This may mean it is flowing more air but thats another discussion. Also hacking up the chassis will not cure the issue with the filter falling off.

The AS&S does heatsoak a bit when sitting still at idle, but not when driving.

The two best in my opinion are the AS&M and the Moroso becuase of the metal tubing. I dont like the K&N due to the plastic tube where the filter attaches. The SLP is good but is a PITA to clean and maintain where the AS&M and the Moroso filters will pop out in less than a minute to clean.

Performance wise, I think they are all very close.
Old 08-07-2006 | 02:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

By forced cooling, he may mean water injection or "methanol" injection. My cousin has it on his turbo Eclipse running 28 PSI. Another thing for SC and turbo cars is nitrous cooling, it sprays nitrous on the front mount to cool off the temps. He could have had "NOS" fittings for the water injection system, and he may of thought it was a shot of nitrous.
Old 08-07-2006 | 02:26 PM
TECH Addict

But that's apples to oranges. Yes Ive heard of it on FI cars but not N/A setups not saying it cant or isnt done.
Old 08-07-2006 | 02:29 PM
12 Second Club

my $40 ebay cai kicks ***. heat soak is equal to my friends moroso.
Old 08-07-2006 | 02:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

But that's apples to oranges. Yes Ive heard of it on FI cars but not N/A setups not saying it cant or isnt done.

I've seen people use it on NA cars, but it's not as efficient as it would be on a FI car. My buddy has an alcohol injected '02 SS that's NA.
Old 08-07-2006 | 04:54 PM
Launching!

Anybody tried to make there own?Seems to be pretty easy and a good bit of horsepower to be had.

Quick Reply: All CAI's Considered Equal??