LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Car wont start, save me.

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2006 | 01:55 AM
TECH Regular

Default Car wont start, save me.

Alright, nothing crazy happened since the last time I drove it, I left it parked for a while, it was prolly alittle low on gas. Anyway, the car has been known to lose power and have to be jumped occasionally. I tried to start it like 3 days ago, and it had low batt symptoms.. I tried to charge it, but it wouldn't start. I figured maybe it was out of gas or something. I went, put a gallon of gas in it, and I tried to charge it again.. I think I hear it priming, and it turns for a sec, and completely feels like it doesn't have enough power. Once it even sounded like it had a little fire, but didn't start. I've tried moving the battery all around, and moving connections, it charges enough to where accesories work fine, and everything, but it just wont start.. any idea? I need this thing up by wednesday =(
Old 09-19-2006 | 01:58 AM
TECH Veteran
20 Year Member

What is the battery voltage?

If it turns over I wouldn't suspect the battery first though. Maybe starter?
Old 09-19-2006 | 06:25 AM
TECH Veteran

Kinda unclear what's happening. Do you have a battery drain problem? If the battery is not taking charge then perhaps it's done. Is it sluggish when it turns over? Like "eeerrrrrrrrrr rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr click click click click?"
Old 09-19-2006 | 03:13 PM
TECH Regular

Yes it is Dhd, but it does that even when I have the cables to it. It's actually always been kinda hard to jump, like I had to put the cables on perfect... the battery is clean though. I really need to figure this out by tomorrow, is there anything I can try to figure it out?
Old 09-19-2006 | 03:34 PM
On The Tree

alternator?
Old 09-19-2006 | 03:35 PM
Launching!

First thing I would try is to just through in a known good battery. If it turns over and starts then you have eliminated the rest of the system. Either the battery is junk or it is to low to hold a charge. Then you will have to find the drain in the near future.
Old 09-19-2006 | 06:55 PM
TECH Regular

If a battery is completely dead will the car still start from a jump?
Old 09-19-2006 | 07:02 PM
Launching!

Heres is some recent experience make of it what you will. This spring I was taking my 71 firebird out of storage. This car has started every year for the last 10 years with just a dump of gas couple turn overs a little more gas and away we went till next year. The battery was only 3 years old and was always disconnected so same thing this year only it wouldn't start and wouldn't start. After a hour of $#$#$% around I dropped in one of my red tops and the thing fired right up. Go Figure I had already cleaned the posts so I new the connection was good come to find out the battery was bad. If you want to eliminate something in just a few minutes I would start at the battery.
Just were I would start.
Old 09-19-2006 | 07:19 PM
TECH Addict

if a battery is toast, car will not start. happened to my gf in her old corsica. Just driving around, and stoppped to pick me up from work (car was down that week for something). car was off for 5 minutes. Car never restarted. Jumped it no luck. her dad said it couldnt be the battery. So I bought new battery, car starts, and has been problem free starting wise (now her brother's car)
Old 09-19-2006 | 08:36 PM
TECH Regular

Cool, I have another car at another house with a brand new battery, I am gonna go pick up up right now, and try that battery and see if it works.. I'm supposed to take my camaro in tomorrow to get the tranny pulled for rebuild, so I need it to run . Unfortunatly though, I doubt this other battery will fit in the camaro, but at least I can diagnose the problem.
Old 09-19-2006 | 10:51 PM
TECH Regular

I put another battery in it, and it fired right up... thanks alot!!

Now I'm taking the tranny to get rebuilt for some real power, results... comin soon!

Quick Reply: Car wont start, save me.