LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

MSD Opti install question

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2006, 08:40 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default MSD Opti install question

I got my MSD opti and it says in the instructions "It is recommended that a timing indicator be fabricated prior to installing the distributor. This way, the timing can be recorded so the MSD distributo can be set to the same amount. From the factory, the MSD Distributor is set the factory spec (two turns out)."

Can someone please explain this part to me the whole fabrication of a timing indicator jargon confuses me.

Also what other things should i look out for when installing my msd opti with the fres air hoses.
Old 09-21-2006, 09:49 PM
TECH Resident

you dont need that... just install it and go... its set to factory specs..you dont need to fab anything up.... some people were complaining about it not being set to factory specs... but mine was just fine... if your going to tune it... tune the timing in the computer.. not the adjustment...
Old 09-22-2006, 06:13 AM
12 Second Club

ok cool. so basically all i have to do is make sure that i insert the rotor's shaft into the camshaft correctly? or do i have to mess with the positioning of the rotor so that its exactly in the same position as the stock rotor?
Old 09-22-2006, 07:22 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Basically you bought a very expesive opti with a timing adjustment feature you paid a lot for and will never use. The timing thing is a feature VERY few are knowledgable or patient enough to make good use of, it was a wonderful marketting gimmick though.
Old 09-22-2006, 07:49 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
Basically you bought a very expesive opti with a timing adjustment feature you paid a lot for and will never use. The timing thing is a feature VERY few are knowledgable or patient enough to make good use of, it was a wonderful marketting gimmick though.
and i thought you were going to help me with my install question

typical capricemgr comment right there if i didn't know any better i might have had to get into the
Old 09-22-2006, 09:45 AM
TECH Resident

well he does have a good point... messing with the timing on the Opti will only mess up your tune... so why do it? any problems we have we just fix in the tune. i bought mine just to see if this opti will last and do as they say it will... i will have to see how many miles are on it... but still running strong...
Old 09-22-2006, 11:41 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by harvickgm
well he does have a good point... messing with the timing on the Opti will only mess up your tune... so why do it? any problems we have we just fix in the tune. i bought mine just to see if this opti will last and do as they say it will... i will have to see how many miles are on it... but still running strong...
definitely caprice is very knowledgable i dont doubt that, but alot of people who dont how he comments might take offense. not me though i been here enough to know.
but back to my question above. is there any special thing i have to do with the rotor while installing besides aligning the rotor shaft properly upon installation?
Old 09-22-2006, 04:00 PM
TECH Resident

just take the cap off... the spline should slide into the cam freely... dont force anything... just make sure to take your time and dont force anything...

Quick Reply: MSD Opti install question