LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Horsepower TV cam swap this weekend?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2006, 06:25 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Horsepower TV cam swap this weekend?

Did anyone catch this show? They did a Lazer cam swap where it changed the firing order on cylinder number 4 and 7.
Just curious if any one ever heard of this and if it is capable of being done on a LT1 computer controlled car.
They gained some power, but I have seen where another engine didnt with this same kind of thing. I know GM changed the firing order on the LSx engines, and NASCAR has done this for years, but there in need of every little bit of power.
Old 09-25-2006, 06:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve40th
Did anyone catch this show? They did a Lazer cam swap where it changed the firing order on cylinder number 4 and 7.
Just curious if any one ever heard of this and if it is capable of being done on a LT1 computer controlled car.
They gained some power, but I have seen where another engine didnt with this same kind of thing. I know GM changed the firing order on the LSx engines, and NASCAR has done this for years, but there in need of every little bit of power.
Yeah, their 30+ hp gain seemed way too much to me. It's difficult to hold everything constant in a cam swap. A couple more degrees duration and a slightly different LSA or built in advance/retard could have more effects than the 4-7 swap. That's one of the problems when your sponsors supply the parts. Would you rush out and pay $90 or so more for 10 hp on a 500 fwhp engine? Probably not.

It's been done on LT1s. Sometimes it even helps.
Old 09-25-2006, 06:53 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Old SStroker
Yeah, their 30+ hp gain seemed way too much to me. It's difficult to hold everything constant in a cam swap. A couple more degrees duration and a slightly different LSA or built in advance/retard could have more effects than the 4-7 swap. That's one of the problems when your sponsors supply the parts. Would you rush out and pay $90 or so more for 10 hp on a 500 fwhp engine? Probably not.

It's been done on LT1s. Sometimes it even helps.
Thats why I posted it here. I saw an article in a magazine where it was negligible. But this show said it was identical cam with the exception of 4/7.
Now if it made the idle smoother, that would be a bonus too.
Old 09-25-2006, 07:02 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was also wondering about that 4/7 swap and what benefits it would really have on a LT1 if any ?
Old 09-25-2006, 10:50 PM
TECH Regular

ask the ls1 boys. standard ls1 firing order is 4/7 swap. look at the similarities and differences thread started earlier today. i dont even know that they make a 4/7 swap cam for an lt1 though. it would be an interesting comparison from one cam to the next.
Old 09-26-2006, 07:55 AM
TECH Regular

well, if they make any 4/7 swap hy-rollercams for a SBC, I think you can make it work for an LT1. In the article I read, it said that the ford 5.0 had the 4/7 swap already done. ALtho the ford way of listing the cylinders is different. I think it came down to if it was a max effort motor, that it balenced the pressure on the bearings better, so it was a worth while piece. But on mild cars, you would actually lose a slight amount of power. I know it was in a magizine, I forget which one. it was either popular hotrodding, hotrod, or muscle machines. I'll see if I can find it. they ended up using 2 sets of identical cams, in 2 different motors.
Old 09-26-2006, 08:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

They forgot to mention if the cam profile was different. I have no doubt there was more lift and duration on the swap cam.

And no I don't think its possible to do with an LT1. The easy answer would be to just swap the 4 and 7 injector plugs and plug wires, but then its going to goof up fueling once the PCM starts reading O2s and adjusting injector pulse widths.

Perhaps someone with a knowledge of PCM innards could physically modify it to work.
Old 09-26-2006, 08:34 AM
TECH Regular

http://speedtalk.com/forum/viewtopic...r=asc&start=45

check it out.

Quick Reply: Horsepower TV cam swap this weekend?