LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Questions For When Installing Non-Emission Headers

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2006, 12:59 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Questions For When Installing Non-Emission Headers

I just ordered my pacesetter non-emissions coated long tube headers with an off road y-pipe.

I've heard that the gaskets and bolts that they give you aren't the best quality. What do you guys reccommend I use? I was thinking about going with fel-pro gaskets and stage 8 locking header bolts.

Also I'm pretty sure that the headers come with O2 extensions.

I'm assuming that there are somethings that need to be capped off since I'm taking the A.I.R. and E.G.R. out. The only thing I can think of off the top of my head is the one hose that goes to the intake, what else is there?

Also I'm going to do plugs and wires while I am in there, what plugs and wires do you reccommend I use?

Any advise you can give is much appreciated.

Thanks,

Nick

Last edited by XzWhiteGhstzX; 09-26-2006 at 01:14 PM.
Old 09-26-2006, 01:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Felpro 1406 gaskets and Stage 8 header bolts. Probably won't be able to get the locks on the bolts but the allen heads come in handy, particularly for tightening the bolts on the #2 cyl.
Old 09-26-2006, 01:59 PM
Staging Lane

Doesn't NJ have strict emission standards?
Old 09-26-2006, 02:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

The gaskets are junk paper pieces, the bolts will rust fairly quick. The O2 extensions included are just some crimp connectors and white wire... Do yourself a favor and throw all the above away when you recieve the package.

Get the Felpro gaskets, just make sure theyre for headers and not manifolds or you will have to punch holes in them to put your extreme front and rear bolts in.
I can get you a part # tomorrow if someone else doesnt chime in first.

The stage8 locking bolts are nice, but hard to find in the correct length.
Remember the pacesetters have nice 3/8" thick flanges so std header bolts wont engage enough threads. I bought a set of ARP intake manifold bolts for a SBC and they work great, perfect reach. Plus theyre stainless and wont rust.

Get a pair of 12" O2 extensions from painless and dont ever worry about them again.

For the air and egr... Just remove all the AIR stuff, and get a 2pc EGR blockoff set to block off the spot for the valve itself and the feed tube, both at the back of the intake.

I like MSD wires and NGK iridium plugs... I run NGK TR6ix (colder than stock) you'd need TR55ix for stock heat range
Old 09-26-2006, 05:03 PM
Staging Lane

yes nj emission is strick but like everything else in this world there are ways around it.

So I will go with the felpro gaskets and from what you guys said I geuss the stage 8 bolts won't be the best choice? If I go with ARP do you know the part # for them?

I will pick up a pair of those 12" O2 extensions too.

Where can I get a 2 pc EGR blockoff?

For wires I figured Taylor or MSD.

For plugs was thinking NKG but I wasn't sure which ones to go with, I do run a 160 thermostat in my car so my car does run fairly cool, would I be better off with the TR6ix rather than the TR55ix?
Old 09-27-2006, 05:28 AM
Staging Lane

can some please help with those questions I asked above?
Old 09-27-2006, 07:00 AM
Staging Lane

You can get the plates here;

http://www.sjmmanufacturing.com
Old 09-27-2006, 08:42 AM
Teching In

With spark plugs, you can't go wrong with NGK TR55, but if you're willing to spend the extra cash, get the Iridium IX (I would). To my knowledge, you won't need a cooler plug unless you're spraying (please correct me if I'm wrong). From what I've heard, TR55IX are better longivity-wise, but there are no horsepower gains. You won't have to worry about changing those for about 75k miles (on the safe side). Wires, I've heard bad stories about Taylor- unless they changed their design, they used to tend to arc to the metal surfaces on your engine because of poor (thin) insulation. That does not happen to everyone with Taylor wires though, I know several people who run those and never had any trouble out of them. I would personally go with the MSD 8.5mm wires- the best, unless you want to get a set of 10mm race wires (plan spending in a $150 range). Get rid of the paper gaskets that come with the kit, they will blow out under extreme pressure (go with FelPro metal compound gaskets or if you can get your hands on some copper gaskets, they will work even better, especially if you're planning on ******* it), and scrap the cheap bolts as well (spend the extra for ARP, they're worth it!). Might as well get MSD cap and rotor kit while you at it, that will give you the time to check your Opti as well, especially if it's the stock unit. Hope that helps. If I have a misconception about any of those tihngs, please correct me.
Old 09-27-2006, 10:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Get the Percy gaskets. They last alot longer
Old 09-27-2006, 10:31 AM
Staging Lane

Before you install the headers, check the flanges for straightness. If they're not flat, no gasket will work. If they're not true, a machine shop can make them so for a few bucks.
Old 09-29-2006, 05:50 PM
Staging Lane

Can someone tell me which ARP bolts I need to buy for my headers and where I can get them.

A link would be great.

Thanks.
,Nick

Quick Reply: Questions For When Installing Non-Emission Headers