LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

synthetic vs. non synthetic

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2006, 05:51 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

haha... it's not all about the ownage... but if stupid people, wanna give stoopid advice, they deserve to be owned. To many retard here(these sites), not to. If it goes un "owned", it spreads like wildfire. I'm not 100% sure why the LT1 likes thicker oil. could due to the bearing clearances being loose, or that stock they run around 210*(before the fans kick on), or just cause it's a hefty V8 that likes Hefty oil. I'll really leave that answer to the guys who know. I normally go thicker oil, cuz my engines are getting old, and have quite a few miles, but have no scientific reason, other than the bearing clearances are looser than stock, and that some leaked ALOT, or burned a bit(from leaking).

I agree, I come here to learn... but wouldn't ya rether learn the correct things, over things like redneck MrCadillac has to say?
Old 09-28-2006, 05:56 AM
TECH Regular

also something you should note. Many auto makers put that the car should have a certain 5w30, 5w20, is because it is "energy saving", and gave them that .5 mpg edge, that kept them outta the gas guzzler tax(or something), and wasn't based on longativity, since by the 100k mark that it would start causing issues, the cars were not under their warrenty...
Old 09-28-2006, 09:03 AM
11 Second Club

damn this was a good post topic, im proud i actully started this! but the reason why i have posted this is that i read in an article that golen engines reccomends that you use valvoline vr1 racing oil for their blocks, and i also found out that nelson racing engines reccomends it also.... why i have no idea because i like the idea of using synthetic but i guess its just opinionated!!
Old 09-28-2006, 09:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MrCadillac
Ever looked at "valuecraft" oil from autozone? it says only to run it in older that 1987 engines... it's pretty much water. On the other side, ever seen STP 10w30? That stuff is as thick as 20w50 penziol. It's all a range.
I was at the supermarket back home, I think it was an Albertsons, Well They had this yellow container that said on the front Motor Oil, I think it said 10W30, It was dirt cheap, of course this was like 8 years ago. I was curious so I grabbed it, and looked at the back to see what kind of SAE rating it had, I dont remember exactly but it was really low, and underneath it said in really small letters, not to be used in gasoline powered vehicles, I laughed so hard, and then I thought to myself, wow, I hope no one has used this in there car.
Old 09-28-2006, 09:42 AM
Launching!

ok been readin the links yall posted up(thanks!!). still would like to know if you think i'd have any issues with 10w30 in my 90k 95.

thanks again for links
Old 09-28-2006, 10:23 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Captainofiron
I was at the supermarket back home, I think it was an Albertsons, Well They had this yellow container that said on the front Motor Oil, I think it said 10W30, It was dirt cheap, of course this was like 8 years ago. I was curious so I grabbed it, and looked at the back to see what kind of SAE rating it had, I dont remember exactly but it was really low, and underneath it said in really small letters, not to be used in gasoline powered vehicles, I laughed so hard, and then I thought to myself, wow, I hope no one has used this in there car.
I see this all the time and it makes me cringe. See someone grab 5 qts of this SA quality oil because it is cheap and head up to the check out.
Old 09-28-2006, 10:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BlazerINtheWork
ok been readin the links yall posted up(thanks!!). still would like to know if you think i'd have any issues with 10w30 in my 90k 95.

thanks again for links
The factory calls for 5W30, but I run 10W30 with no problems, Do you live where it is cold? If so maybe if it gets cold enough I would go with the lighter oil, but otherwise its ok, I bet most on here run 10W30
Old 09-28-2006, 10:55 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by BlazerINtheWork

thanks again for links
Any quality synthetic oil won't hurt your engine. With bearing clearences mentioned previously in this thread, I wouldn't be surprised if you run less oil pressure (that is if you had been using a thicker oil).
Old 09-28-2006, 01:46 PM
TECH Addict

My whole point I was trying to make was there are better oils for an LT1 than the standard M1 5w/10w30 flavors. You're engines not going to EXPLODe if you use the oil, you're just not going to see the "best" metal wear #s on an UOA.
Old 09-28-2006, 01:56 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by buffman
My whole point I was trying to make was there are better oils for an LT1 than the standard M1 5w/10w30 flavors. You're engines not going to EXPLODe if you use the oil, you're just not going to see the "best" metal wear #s on an UOA.

what do you suggest?
Old 09-28-2006, 02:00 PM
TECH Addict

I suggest the German made Castol 0w30
Old 09-28-2006, 02:23 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

where can this German castrol be purchased?
Old 09-28-2006, 03:19 PM
Banned

I'm not 100% sure why the LT1 likes thicker oil. .
I know your not sure.

could due to the bearing clearances being loose.
Thats not good, is it?

or that stock they run around 210*(before the fans kick on), .
Which is more reason to get a better oil, with less friction, so the motor stays cool longer. Like... say for instance... Mobil 1

or just cause it's a hefty V8 that likes Hefty oil.

This is my smartass post for the week.
Old 09-28-2006, 03:34 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by asudecat
where can this German castrol be purchased?
Only place I have ever seen it is at Autozone. But I have seen it there and I know 100% for sure that's the stuff. When I am in Autozone, I go pick up a bottle just to see if it says anything other than made in Germany. Every bottle of 0w30 I have picked up said made in Germany.
Old 09-28-2006, 03:36 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 96WS6TA
I run Mobil 1 and have had no problems at all. She loves it!!
Mobil 1 FTW
Old 09-28-2006, 04:05 PM
Staging Lane

A lot of interesting comments here. I like MOBIL1 1550...in a high performance situation...meaning well beyond stock...if I had a stock ltx or lsx it would stick with 1030, but with some heavy mods I would step up to 1550. Call me crazy but in MY and I emphize My situation my car ran 10 degrees cooler in the summer with 1550 vs. 1030...this was a high performance application. According to what I have understood synthetic oil has superior flow properties than conventional oil...so the only thing you would lose with 1550 anyway would be a slight gas milage loss. I manage a large oil change/mechanic shop and I do not recommend to my customers to go against the factory recommendations for oil weight unless there has been some serious modifications.MM
Old 09-28-2006, 05:01 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by METAL MANIAC
I manage a large oil change/mechanic shop and I do not recommend to my customers to go against the factory recommendations for oil weight unless there has been some serious modifications.MM
That and if they own a Honda, lol. They have a factory fill of 5w20 right? You have to be kidding me.
Old 09-28-2006, 05:46 PM
Staging Lane

No I am not kidding you I would still recommend the 5w20 for the honda as well as most fords now call for 5w20...they build these engines to run on that grade of oil..maybe a car with a lot of miles I might recommend a 1 weight upgrade...just my opinion...I see many fords that call for 5w20 with 200,000 plus miles still running strong and using 5w20...the most important thing is to keep it changed regular...I live in the south...I recommend to all customer's every 3,000 or 3 months which ever comes first...I see every car you can imagine on a regular basis I can tell you what car has a strong dependable engine, which ones are prone to leak oil..etc..for instance if you have a cadillac northstar engine expect to have oil leaks as early as 30to 40 thousand miles and you will add between a quart and 2 quarts of oil between the oil change depending on how many miles it has on it..however the engine is fairly durable...MM
Old 09-28-2006, 06:08 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by dhdenney
Only place I have ever seen it is at Autozone. But I have seen it there and I know 100% for sure that's the stuff. When I am in Autozone, I go pick up a bottle just to see if it says anything other than made in Germany. Every bottle of 0w30 I have picked up said made in Germany.

should be able to find it at autzone. The newer dated german castrol usually says European Formula on the front of it.

Best piece of advice right here:

The reality is that used oil analysis (UOA) is the only decent determinant for whether the oil you choose is optimal for your engine, ambient conditions, your driving profile, your driving style, etc.
Old 09-28-2006, 06:43 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by dhdenney
That and if they own a Honda, lol. They have a factory fill of 5w20 right? You have to be kidding me.
The new 0/5w-20's are excellent oils. Have been showing great analysis reports and are surprising everyone. Some have been used in an Enzo and a Maybach with great results.

Quick Reply: synthetic vs. non synthetic