LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Cant save a BIN from my PCM to the laptop!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2006, 11:44 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by foggedz
Are you saying that the fans are not on during the reading, and only turn on after you get the error message? If that is the case then something is not right. The fans should turn on during the reading/flashing, usless you pull the fuse like stated above.
Yes my fans are not on during the reading/flashing. They're supposed to be on during theses processes?
Old 12-22-2006, 12:59 PM
On The Tree

If the car battery might be a little on the weak side, does anyone think trying it with a battery charger on might keep it from dipping too low? Just a thought to try.
Old 12-22-2006, 01:02 PM
12 Second Club

I use LT1-Edit and the fans come on for a second at the begining of the flash and for a second right before it is done. My tunner said it is to let you know when the flash starts and stops (like a warning). I losed voltage one time durring a tune, carputing sent me new software as soon as I got the new pcm bin to them. Very good company, just wanted to see a copy of a recit saying I bought a new pcm and traded in my old one.
Old 12-22-2006, 01:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bartman
Yes my fans are not on during the reading/flashing. They're supposed to be on during theses processes?

I was just looking at your web page and saw that you have an LT1 swaped into another car. How are your fans wired up? If you are letting the computer controll them like f-bodys come from the factory, then yes they should come on during tuning. If you have the fans wired up some other way then no they probably will not come on.
Old 12-22-2006, 01:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rbrcka
If the car battery might be a little on the weak side, does anyone think trying it with a battery charger on might keep it from dipping too low? Just a thought to try.

DO NOT put a charger on the battery and attemt to communicate with the PCM. You will screw it up for sure.
Old 12-22-2006, 01:27 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by foggedz
DO NOT put a charger on the battery and attemt to communicate with the PCM. You will screw it up for sure.
Yea they even say NOT to do this in the LT1-Edit instructions.
Old 12-22-2006, 01:43 PM
On The Tree

Ok, thats good to know. I will make sure the battery is fully charged and then just watch the dash to see if it is dropping. I had read on the aldlcable.com site that you can test for check engine codes by paper clipping pins A and B on the obd1. When I tried that my fans just ran solid and the check engine light never did any flash sequences as expected. Not sure if that is related or not, but I thought I'd run it by you guys.
Old 12-22-2006, 04:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Jumping pins A+B only works on the '93 and lower with the removable EPROM. On flashable PCM's the only way to get the codes is to use a scanner, as you found out, jumping these terminals on the '94 up will kick the fans on.

Sara Lou
Old 12-23-2006, 08:16 AM
On The Tree

I made sure the battery was fully charged, I pulled the fuses for the fans and radio, and made sure that nothing else was drawing power that didn't need to be. Using winflash I got to about the same 50% progress mark and it errored again. I was watching the dash when I was doing it and it stayed above the red and I never saw any visible dips. I'm not ruling out that it could still be the battery, but I'm starting to feel like something else is going on.

Is there another program that I could use that is free or that has a trial period, so I can see if I get any different results? Since I just had to buy a tranny, I'd like to avoid spending money on a battery or other software in "hopes" that it will work.

Quick Reply: Cant save a BIN from my PCM to the laptop!!