LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

How to install one of these *pic*

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2006, 02:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to install one of these *pic*

How hard is it to install a Compcams Vacuum Storage Canister part #5200. Any pics of it installed?
Old 10-20-2006, 05:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

anyone?
Old 10-20-2006, 09:56 PM
TECH Regular

how hard can one be to install? you take you vacum port for the brake booster from the engine, hook it to the canister, then route it back to the brake booster... right?
Old 10-20-2006, 10:00 PM
11 Second Club

Received 194 Likes on 151 Posts

I don't think that is the Brake Booster. That looks like a replacement for the Vacumn Ball that's near the Horn. I am thinkin of relocating mine on the Fire Wall near the Computer, since I have all that new room.
Old 10-20-2006, 10:00 PM
Staging Lane

Why would you need one? What does it do?
Old 10-20-2006, 10:02 PM
11 Second Club

That's what I am wondering, the stock one is fine.
That's my new project also, since I have the room on the Fire Wall, I am goin to move it up there, unless you all think the Heat might mess with it..

Last edited by the_merv; 10-20-2006 at 10:07 PM.
Old 10-20-2006, 10:08 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by the_merv
I don't think that is the Brake Booster. That looks like a replacement for the Vacumn Ball that's near the Horn. I am thinkin of relocating mine on the Fire Wall near the Computer, since I have all that new room.
duh... Did you even read what I wrote? take the line TO the booster. The reason you add one, is because you have a cam that has low idle vacum that causes the brakes to be less effective at a stop light. COME ON Merv... the stock canister works great for a stock idle vacum, but for a cam with less, you need more volume to make up the difference.
Old 10-20-2006, 10:11 PM
TECH Regular

aren't there some instructions for the thing?
Old 10-20-2006, 10:26 PM
12 Second Club

If you take the plastic that covers up the bottom front drivers side(were the air filter goes right in front of the tire) it is pretty open in there. I mounted mine with the screws facing the front tire drilled two holes in the plastic. Then get some plastic hose and your in business. Mine worked great with the custom cam
Old 10-20-2006, 10:37 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by MrCadillac
duh... Did you even read what I wrote? take the line TO the booster. The reason you add one, is because you have a cam that has low idle vacum that causes the brakes to be less effective at a stop light. COME ON Merv... the stock canister works great for a stock idle vacum, but for a cam with less, you need more volume to make up the difference.
Easy there killer.. I wasn't sayin it's the Brake Booster. If I can take and Engine out, and re-build and install the new one, I think I know what a Brake Booster is. I was sayin that is could be a replacement for the one near the horn, but I guess it's an add-on.
Old 10-21-2006, 03:07 AM
TECH Apprentice

Actually, I'm reasonably certain that the factory vacuum reserve tank near the horns (passenger undertray) is used solely for HVAC -- it's not very large, and is hardly a replacement for an aftermarket reserve vacuum canister.

If you're running a large aftermarket cam which produces little vacuum, these aftermarket tanks are typically the solution. If THAT isn't enough, then you perhaps need to look into electric/mechanical vacuum pumps.

After that, your options are limited -- pretty much left with trying to convert to a non-vacuum-assisted master cylinder setup (which might prove difficult or impossible), or I've also seen these "Hydroboost" brake system boosters which run off of the power steering pump (which might be a better solution than the former, yet more expensive).
Old 10-21-2006, 09:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MrCadillac
Bingo, that's exactly why I got it. I got it for cheap, and it didn't come with directions, but it looked pretty easy to install, just seeing if anyone else installed it or had pics of it mounted somewhere for ideas/reference. I have a big cam and the car is boosted, and was told this would help with the engine/brake vacuum. I'm going to use 6AN braided lines for the install, should look good too!
Old 10-21-2006, 09:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ls1Bait
If you take the plastic that covers up the bottom front drivers side(were the air filter goes right in front of the tire) it is pretty open in there. I mounted mine with the screws facing the front tire drilled two holes in the plastic. Then get some plastic hose and your in business. Mine worked great with the custom cam
Can you post some pics of yours please???

Quick Reply: How to install one of these *pic*