LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

280XFI cam anybody

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2006, 05:01 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Armyman2445
Oh yea i know i def am gonna need a tune. I was just curious about that. So i dont even need FPR? at all

Correct. The stock fuel pressure regulator is fine. In fact, FPRs that raise fuel pressure usually don't help much; you might get greater pressure at the injector tip, which would in theory give you more fuel, but in the real world, our fuel pressures are already so high that the pump tends to start choking on the attempt to deliver enough volume at the new pressure, and overall volume might even drop. Take a look at the pressure/volume charts for various fuel pumps sometimes... and also at the current draw they require to produce specific volumes at specific pressures.

The correct way to get more fuel, assuming you have injectors of the correct size to meet your fuel needs, is to leave fuel pressure alone and tune pulsewidth for the new injectors (particularly taking into account the different time lag for different injectors to open and close) so that delivered fuel volume is correct for your setup, whether it's N2O added dry, a bigger cam, or different airflow characteristics due to heads, heads/can, or whatever else you have.

Since you'll usually need a tune to get the most out of your cam, cam/heads, or whatever your mods are, tuning for injectors is part of the process.

And no, IMHO, Hypertech and mailorder tunes don't qualify as 'tuning'. Dyno tuning using a wideband is 'tuning' as far as I'm concerned. (The handhelds can certainly provide LIMITED changes, like for gears, tire size, or fan on/off settings)... but for mods like cam and more, I'd always go with a dyno tune. Every setup is just a bit different... and I want to know, under controlled circumstances, that my tuning is safe as far as fuel and timing, not just throw a tune at the car that "works for most similar mods".
Old 10-29-2006, 05:15 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree I dont consider "mail order tunes" or Hypertech tuners a TUNE. The only tune that is a good tune comes from the dyno. Ive already got it set up to be dyno tuned.
Old 10-29-2006, 05:21 PM
12 Second Club

Then you're fine with the stock FPR. 42s are a great choice, especially if they are SVO or the like. Plenty room to grow
Old 10-29-2006, 05:34 PM
11 Second Club

Well I dont have a stock FPR anymore I have an Aeromotive Adujustable FPR. And the 42's are from Lucas
Old 10-29-2006, 08:11 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Armyman2445
Well I dont have a stock FPR anymore I have an Aeromotive Adujustable FPR. And the 42's are from Lucas
Just set the fuel pressure to stock, 43.5psi IIRC.
Old 10-29-2006, 09:46 PM
12 Second Club

The Lucas injectors are good ones, and yes, set the Aeromotive to stock FP. 43 to 43.5 psi with vac line disconnected.

Quick Reply: 280XFI cam anybody