LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LT1 or LS1

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2006, 11:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didnt say the LT1 cant get bored and stroked to a 454, I said an SBC, the LT1 has weird lower galleys and passages in the lower portions of the block to stroke it out that far I would assume.
Old 11-07-2006, 11:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

can some one please tell me who the **** is trying to build a 9 sec race car that "get good gas mileage"? that seems to be a slight oxymoron
Old 11-08-2006, 12:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

an LT1 cant be bored and stroked to 427. most ive seen is just over 400 cubic inches. an ls1 swap also isnt hard nor does it have to be expensive.
Most you've seen... I didn't know you were the all wise Wizard of Oz!

Alright jokes aside, you can't run .080 over pistons, 6" rods and a stroker crank with some lower end block milling? That right there should be 424cid~
Old 11-08-2006, 12:19 AM
11 Second Club

LT1 baby.....they love spray over the LS1.......trust me I have both. Although the LSx is quicker on motor....who knows.....get both....problems solved.
Old 11-08-2006, 12:31 AM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Formula350
Most you've seen... I didn't know you were the all wise Wizard of Oz!

Alright jokes aside, you can't run .080 over pistons, 6" rods and a stroker crank with some lower end block milling? That right there should be 424cid~
we did say reliable and you are still short my 427 goal.

Oh My poor car only gets 22mpg on the freeway. It IS a slow POS though

I DO have a set of twin's(TO4BS3s) sitting here From the Step side project. I am sure the .

I would like more then the 600+RWHP and near 800RWTQ I have now

BTW that is on my the LT1 heads that came on my car from the factory. heavily moddified but not a LT4 in sight

Last edited by TwoFast4Lv; 11-08-2006 at 12:37 AM.
Old 11-08-2006, 12:57 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by TwoFast4Lv
You are right we will agree to disagree

I will answer your question with a question. Have you priced a set of LT1 heads that flow that number? How about ablock to get a reliable 427 LTx cubic inches?

You are right I guess I just want a less radical 9 second combo and I know I can have it with a LSx

BTW Right now there is not the huge price differance there was years ago between the LTx and LSx.

We sell AFR heads and there is not a huge price differeance between LTx and LSx heads right now

I asked that because of a new setup I am working on. I traded the car I had for a much more race carish car, but its a 95 camaro with a LT1 and it has 18* heads on it that flow bout 370 CFM got bout 3700 in them after port polish and making them work with reverse flow cooling. I was just wondering what kind of money you would have to put into LSx heads to match them... I figure they would be a lil cheaper but I would think you would have atleast 3000 in a set that flows that. Like you said it is MUCH easier to get the cubes out of an LS1 but costly as hell and you dont need 427 cubes to run 9's... 8s maybe but not 9s
Old 11-08-2006, 01:18 AM
10 Second Club

Yes I have a 18 degree top end but after looking at cost and trying to stay on a budget(yes this was done on the cheap..stock modified castings and all) Not to put the Hagans intake and 18 degree heads on. If I had not already had the pistons and a decent set of LT1 heads the whole setup might have gone on.

Right now I could sell the top end and buy a decent LSx short block And I am thinking about it alot!

BTW why would I be thinking about 8s I am just ready to crack nines now!

That being said this will most likely be my last LTx based race engine for me. A new k-member(can sell my Present one to offset costs) and some wiring. Not a big deal I xan sell off just about every thing i have and get a decent 427 LSx engine to replace it I have three LT1 blocks here and will keep this one going as long as it will run but then I will probably turn to the dark side
Old 11-08-2006, 01:26 AM
Launching!

Yes I have a 18 degree top end but after looking at cost and trying to stay on a budget(yes this was done on the cheap..stock modified castings and all) Not to put the Hagans intake and 18 degree heads on. If I had not already had the pistons and a decent set of LT1 heads the whole setup might have gone on.

Right now I could sell the top end and buy a decent LSx short block And I am thinking about it alot!

BTW why would I be thinking about 8s I am just ready to crack nines now!

That being said this will most likely be my last LTx based race engine for me. A new k-member(can sell my Present one to offset costs) and some wiring. Not a big deal I xan sell off just about every thing i have and get a decent 427 LSx engine to replace it I have three LT1 blocks here and will keep this one going as long as it will run but then I will probably turn to the dark side
your car will crack 9s... thats just a matter of time

I just like being the underdog... I just hope this car runs as good on a track as it does on paper... I am scared I am going to get dissapointed, but we will see. Hoping for some 9.4s on motor... but like I said, we all know how easy it is for the timeslips to hurt our feelings. I learned the hard way about counting the chickens before the eggs hatch
Old 11-08-2006, 01:47 AM
10 Second Club

LOL I hear you! On paper mine should run mid to high nines also

Damn heavy car anyways!

On paper It should have ran mid to high 9.80s last time out...but I never got to the end of the track

It is a LONG depressing road at times. I am not sur emy wife could take anouther engine build this Winter LOL. Not with the new tow rig. I need one more season out of her before I switch. The car may get pretty light now that I have a tow rig

Good luck on your project man! Let us know if we can help. lots of good people hear..some of the best in the world check in hear
Old 11-08-2006, 01:48 AM
hashtagBMW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As for swaping ellis.....

Im in the same boat

Break 9s and then break the LSx out.

Tony.
Old 11-08-2006, 09:34 AM
Launching!

LOL I hear you! On paper mine should run mid to high nines also

Damn heavy car anyways!

On paper It should have ran mid to high 9.80s last time out...but I never got to the end of the track

It is a LONG depressing road at times. I am not sur emy wife could take anouther engine build this Winter LOL. Not with the new tow rig. I need one more season out of her before I switch. The car may get pretty light now that I have a tow rig

Good luck on your project man! Let us know if we can help. lots of good people hear..some of the best in the world check in hear

Thanks, I figure its gonna take me till february to get it raceable, and I got till then to make some friends. I have been working on street cars for a while now... quite a few 10 and 9 second cars... but this is still going to be a whole nuther ballgame.
Old 11-08-2006, 01:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by cyamaha2007
i hate to say it but if you have the money go lsx i love my lt1 but changing optis every 3 oil changes gets old real old
OMG i hope you are just kidding
Old 11-08-2006, 01:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LT1MAN
OMG i hope you are just kidding
haha yea really. i know LT1s that have gone 200K+ miles with the original opti. i just broke 71K miles and my opti is still fine.

every 3 oil changes? that should probably be checked out...
Old 11-08-2006, 03:21 PM
On The Tree

My 355 LT1 did 480 RWHP & 419 tq. It has AI 200cc heads and a mild sr cam.
That puts me in range of quite a few lsx's. I have stock lt-1 head castings, and a stock (ported) intake. I like the lsx engine, and I am not taking away from what you can do with it, but I did ok with the LT. I will have a LS based car in the future, but that new ZO6 is still a little out of my price range, maby when it's 4 years old I can afford one.
Old 11-08-2006, 04:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Revelation Z28
you have M6? or A4? what gears for your 12 bolt?

id love to have that setup, but the car gets assraped (sniffer test) by california.
my setup will be a stock bottom end with a cc306 and appropriate valvetrain with stock heads and intake. going to a stock t56 and a 10 bolt with 3.73 gears and an auburn posi. after that im going to build either a new lt1 based engine to go back in or build the ls1 i have in my basement for a swap. i already have a k member and harness for the ls1 swap so it shouldnt be bad.

im not saying the lt1 cant make big numbers. and im not saying a lot of the high hp ls1s arent dyno queens or slightly fibbed results. but for pure out hp/dollar i think the ls1 can win. and to someone like me who will drive the car a lot, gas mileage is a big concern and the ls1 wins no contest there.

Quick Reply: LT1 or LS1