LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Federal Mogul Engine Rebuild Kits

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2006, 09:42 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Federal Mogul Engine Rebuild Kits

Im pretty sure i spun a rod bearing in my camaro. The motor made loud knocking noises before i took it out. Right now i have it at the short block. My parents have told me they are going to pay for the mahince work (im 16) and i pay the rest. Then every week i give them money to pay it off. Im figureing im going to have to have the crank turned, but does it need to re balanced? IM also going to have the rods line honed. Then the block is going to get its normal hot tanked, bored, honed etc. I was searching on summit and came across the Federal Mogul Engine Rebuild Kits. Whats everyones opinion on them? They include: speed pro hyper pistons, main bearings, oil pump, full gasket set, rod bearings, assembly lube, cam bearings, freeze plug kit, and rings for 470 bux. Does this sould good? Or if i had all the block work done etc, what pistons, bearings etc should i buy. Im also on a budget. Thanks

Sean
Old 11-07-2006, 07:18 AM
Launching!

get the kit with the forged pistons
costs a lil more but you'll like it

i've had mine in since march and never had any problems (knock on wood)
the rebuild cost me $1004 with everything (i had 2 spun bearings and a cracked piston)
took a while to pay for it all (was also 16 at the time) but it's nice to have it done

i just have 1 question...what were you doing when you broke it lol

Last edited by knight17Z; 11-07-2006 at 08:37 AM.
Old 11-07-2006, 08:25 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

Nah FM kits are reallly good. Back when it used to pay to overhaul engines we used them at our shop. They are very high quality and some of them are still going now. Only problem is that rebuilt motors got so cheap by the time you figured our labor + parts for an overhaul we could not make any money. Like he said though if you are there spend the little extra and go w forged slugs.
Old 11-07-2006, 02:11 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by knight17Z
i just have 1 question...what were you doing when you broke it lol
Umm, well it had a bad oil leak. And i thought there was enough oil in the pan. And i was out beating on it, readying 4.5lbs of boost like everywhere and then it started knocking as i got off the highway =). Thanks for the info on the kits. Ill order the one with forged pistons..

Sean
Old 11-07-2006, 02:47 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Blown93Z28
Umm, well it had a bad oil leak. And i thought there was enough oil in the pan. And i was out beating on it, readying 4.5lbs of boost like everywhere and then it started knocking as i got off the highway =). Thanks for the info on the kits. Ill order the one with forged pistons..

Sean

Yea no oil means spun rod bearings. I put a cam in mine and like 100 miles later it spun two rod bearings. When I took it apart there was some crap in the oil pickup. I rebuild with a High Volume pump and a canton pickup and 6-quart oil pan (Great insurance).
Old 11-08-2006, 12:53 AM
11 Second Club

A friend of mine did a 355 FM with the Sealed Power Forged Pistons from Summit...worked great for a cheap rebuild. Funny thing is it went 10.70's on a 150 shot of nitrous....Pretty impressive i'd say for a 355

Quick Reply: Federal Mogul Engine Rebuild Kits