LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Siphoning out 2 year old fuel on my 93 Z?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2006, 02:24 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Siphoning out 2 year old fuel on my 93 Z?

Ok, so as of now I got 5 gallons of close to 2 year old 110 octane fuel in my tank. The tuning is set up to completely disable knock retard and the motor has about 30 mins of run time on it total. I'd like to siphon this crap fuel out and put in new stuff, but i've heard that newer cars got a baffle that prevents you from just sticking a tube down into the tank to siphon out the fuel.. Is this true? If it is, how do I go about getting this fuel out of the tank? Also if there is a baffle in keeping me from siphoning the fuel out could I at this point just put in some fuel stabilizer in and then this summer just mix in another 5 gallons of 110 octane and run it like that? (It actually only needs 93 oct. fuel, I just put in 110 oct. right after the initial cam break in)
Old 11-24-2006, 07:41 AM
8 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Disconnect the fuel lines from the engine. Bypass your fuel pump regulator, and turn on the key. Stick the lines into a gas can. Pump will pump it out.

I would change your fuel filter after you do this.
Old 11-24-2006, 07:51 AM
Launching!

Yeah the gas in my tank is older than hell and my car is almost back together so I was wanting to do the same thing....but with it flowing through the pump, i've heard that it can ruin the pump..is this true?
Old 11-24-2006, 07:55 AM
8 Second Club

I think it will be fine. Maybe run some additive through it when you fill it up with fresh fuel.
Old 11-24-2006, 08:48 AM
Internet Mechanic

thats a good idea!, or just drop the tank but beleive me id rather try #1 waaaay before my idea lol
Old 11-25-2006, 04:02 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Tony Shepherd
Disconnect the fuel lines from the engine. Bypass your fuel pump regulator, and turn on the key. Stick the lines into a gas can. Pump will pump it out.

I would change your fuel filter after you do this.
Sounds like a good idea, but if you think about it the pump only runs for about 2 seconds to prime the engine when you do this and it would take much more than that to run out 5 gallons of gas... I posted this on another forum and got the idea to do the same as you mentioned but to unplug the harness to the pump and run a couple electrical wires from the pump to the battery to run the fuel out but this idea worries me a little bit in the aspect of shorting out the pump by doing this.
Old 11-25-2006, 07:56 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by 93camaroLT1
Sounds like a good idea, but if you think about it the pump only runs for about 2 seconds to prime the engine when you do this and it would take much more than that to run out 5 gallons of gas... I posted this on another forum and got the idea to do the same as you mentioned but to unplug the harness to the pump and run a couple electrical wires from the pump to the battery to run the fuel out but this idea worries me a little bit in the aspect of shorting out the pump by doing this.
I meant to say bypass the fuel pump relay...not regulator.

Quick Reply: Siphoning out 2 year old fuel on my 93 Z?