LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Rocker Arms

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2006, 12:22 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rocker Arms

I currently have the LT4 1.6 Roller Rockers but a few of the Rocker arms are breaking. My question is should/can I get the few I need or do I have to buy a whole new set? If I have to buy a whole new set, should I just get the Crane Gold Rocker Arms? I heard somewhere that the Gold Rocker Arms and the GMPP LT4 Rockers are the same. Does that mean I can just order some Gold Rocker arms and replace the broken LT4 Rockers with the Gold ones?
Old 11-25-2006, 01:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They're BREAKING?! I kinda think they don't do that unless theres user error involved.
Old 11-25-2006, 05:35 PM
On The Tree

Umm, define break?
Old 11-25-2006, 06:00 PM
TECH Regular

wow are you not adjusting lash and getting them lubed correctly? Somethings not right bro.
Old 11-25-2006, 06:05 PM
On The Tree

Ok. From what I remember,the problem seems to be on only like 2 or or 3 of the rockers.Cylinder 1 ( the worst) and Cylinder 4 or 6. To define break, Where you bolt the rocker arms in, metal is chipped of the rocker arms. It lokks like it hits the bolt and then the metal chips off and falls into engine ( Found the metal in the oil). One guy who checked it said I probably overrevved and to replace them if I see metal in my next oil change. I did see more metal in the oil but alot less.
I got the car a year ago( with these rockers) and when I did my own oil change in August, foundthe metal. I don't think I rev to high, 6000 RPM( Hotcam range is 1800-5800 RPM). I have only hit the rev limiter once. I do manually shift my auto but that is a whole other story( Car won't rev up fully in D or OD).
Old 11-25-2006, 10:24 PM
On The Tree

Umm, are you running guideplates? Just curious. Saw someone try to run those rockers without them... wasn't pretty.
Old 11-25-2006, 10:52 PM
Launching!

An image of the damaged rocker would probably be best. You mentioned they were broke but it sounds like you are still running that way since you haven't replaced them yet?
Old 11-26-2006, 03:36 AM
On The Tree

I just ordered a set of Crane Gold SA Rockers. The car doesn't seem to run to differently with them broken, just from idle up to around 2000 RPM, the car feels somewhat weak but I doubt that is because of the rockers. I'll probably get a pic of the old ones when I put the new ones just to see if it can help diagnose any other probem in the engine.Also, with Self-aligning rockers, do you just install the rocker arms on and start the car? Or do you still have to get to TDC and install them that way and then tighten?
Old 11-26-2006, 07:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RobZ28
I just ordered a set of Crane Gold SA Rockers. The car doesn't seem to run to differently with them broken, just from idle up to around 2000 RPM, the car feels somewhat weak but I doubt that is because of the rockers. I'll probably get a pic of the old ones when I put the new ones just to see if it can help diagnose any other probem in the engine.Also, with Self-aligning rockers, do you just install the rocker arms on and start the car? Or do you still have to get to TDC and install them that way and then tighten?

Self aligning means you don't run guide-plates so you're still going to have to adjust the rockers. I believe the exception is stock LT4s which have tapered rocker studs and are set by a torque value.

I don't use the TDC method, I use the old EO IC (exhaust opening, intake closing) adjustment. When the exhaust just starts to open, I adjust the intake on that cylinder, and when the intake is closing (almost closed) I adjust the exhaust.

Mike

Last edited by aboatguy; 11-26-2006 at 07:24 AM.
Old 11-26-2006, 11:20 AM
TECH Resident

You sure it's not rubbing on the valve covers? If the Cranes are the same thing, they're gonna do the same thing as these unless you change what's making them rub.
Old 11-26-2006, 01:33 PM
On The Tree

I doubt it is hitting the valve covers. From the looks of it, It looks like it is hitting the bolt/stud and then the metal is chipping off because of the impact. The rocker is lifting to high or something. I'm assuming whoever had the car before me bought a LT4 hotcam kit( not 100% it is a hot cam but there is a GMPP sticker on the radiator and from the videos I have heard, sounds like a Hotcam).
Old 11-26-2006, 01:36 PM
TECH Resident

So you're not positive about the cam or the springs? If they used a larger cam or inferior springs, that could also be a problem. Do you have guideplates? If they're NSA, you need them. I'd just get Comp Pro Mags and call it a day.
Old 11-26-2006, 02:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wouldn't have spent money on new Rollers, I would've gotten stamped steel factory 1.5s

We REALLY need pics to help you out.

Quick Reply: Rocker Arms