LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Whos Opti-spark Should I Go With

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2007, 11:12 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by madmatt97
would this work or would it just fall apart in the next 500 miles again like the stock opti did

Those who MISTAKENLY believe the stock opti is weak blame it on the rotor which is where you had a problem, I recommend replacing the ROTOR and cap with aftermarket piecesd and you question wether that will help . I have a feeling you are going to be one of those kids who provs my previous statements about the MSD whole opti having more potential to CREATE problems by being in the wrong hands that it will ever solve problems.
I am not saying it is a bad piece just that for 90% of those who buy it the timing adjustment and other "features" are just sales gimicks rather than useful additions.

INTMD8 is far from the only guy spinning a stock opti with a couple tweaks to very high rpms, I find it laughable when every kid with a 12-3 second car thinks he has exceeded the limits of the stock piece.

I have put A LOT of miles on LT1s, only opti "problem" I ever had was a worn out cap and rotor on my at that time 198K mile wagon. The base in the Caprice now has close to 80K on it put an MSD cap and rotor on it in spring with the heads and cam just because it was apart and the MSD cap and rotor kit is not much more than stock so I thought I would try it.
Old 01-06-2007, 12:04 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by camar0corey
One thing you want to check with the MSD though, make sure the rotor screw is tight, you have to pull the cap off anyway to install the gasket, so check to make sure.

thats the only issue I have heard of MSD opti's so far, a few people have had the rotor come loose, fall off. And thats only happened to a few people, just double check.
got lockin screws on mine so i fixed that problem on install

Quick Reply: Whos Opti-spark Should I Go With