LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Lt1 Cam Rant! Others Will Agree With Me!

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2007, 03:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

also $250.00 off the shelf VS $400.00 Custom Grind. I agree with the rant but not every one wants to spend buying springs, valve job, new lifters, rockers. I know in some cases it's not needed but it helps. if your gonna do it right, do it right the first time. To me it's also peace of mind knowing everything is fresh and the chances some something bad happening will be less likely

Last edited by streetwarrior96; 01-03-2007 at 06:17 PM.
Old 01-03-2007, 04:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Lady_hot_rod
[B] Okay here's the scoop guys, Im selling my 1999 Pont. firebird, and the replacement is a 1994 Z28 LT1 6 speed manual. Im wanting to build this baby up for heavy street strip. I need some suggestions on what cam to go with! Ive been hearing about MF15 I dont know who makes this cam, or anything about it! I just want a nice cam where all I have to change is the springs maybe push rods. I want something with good RPM range. I WANT THE BIGGEST CAM I CAN GET WITHOUT HAVING TO DO HEAD WORK! any suggestions?
Gonna be small cam CC 503 or CC 305 wouldn't go higher than these and would be a waste of money to go custom grind with out head work
Old 01-03-2007, 04:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Matts94Z28
Its whatever the owner wants...
Only problem is that they might not know what parts to buy to get what they want (as long as you know what you want). I myself included thats why Im on this site talking to you guys. But I agree, should get look into custom grinds that will be more specific to the result you are seeking.

Originally Posted by streetwarrior96
Gonna be small cam CC 503 or CC 305 wouldn't go higher than these and would be a waste of money to go custom grind with out head work
Agreed. You want a cam then get ready to spend at least 700 dollars when all said and done. You can buy heads with custom grind cams for 1100 on up!

Last edited by B4CZR2; 01-03-2007 at 04:20 PM.
Old 01-03-2007, 05:17 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

also $250.00 off the shelf VS $400.00 Custom Grind. I agree with the rant but not every one wants to spend buying springs, valve job, new lifters, rockers. I know in some cases it's not needed but it helps. if your gonna do it right, do it right the first time. To me it's also peace of mid knowing everything is fresh and the chances some something bad happening will be less likely

My custom grind was $300, a $50 difference to have a cam do exactly what I want to do. Does'nt seem like that big of a ripoff.
Old 01-03-2007, 06:06 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Lady_hot_rod
I WANT THE BIGGEST CAM I CAN GET WITHOUT HAVING TO DO HEAD WORK! any suggestions?
Generally a statement like this indicates someone who doesn't really know what he wants. However, the Thunder Racing TRex is fits the above statement.

Mike
Old 01-03-2007, 06:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by engineermike
Generally a statement like this indicates someone who doesn't really know what he wants. However, the Thunder Racing TRex is fits the above statement.

Mike

Old 01-03-2007, 06:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by speed_demon24
My custom grind was $300, a $50 difference to have a cam do exactly what I want to do. Does'nt seem like that big of a ripoff.
I'm not saying it's a rip off, I'm saying some people don't want to pay the little extra $$$ for the extra performance they will get. Thats damn cheap for a custom... where did you order it from?
Old 01-03-2007, 07:40 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My freind also had a cam from Comp and it was custom to his specs...it was like 80 dollers more, pretty much a Trex like cam but better for everyday....
Old 01-03-2007, 09:13 PM
11 Second Club

I'm not saying it's a rip off, I'm saying some people don't want to pay the little extra $$$ for the extra performance they will get. Thats damn cheap for a custom... where did you order it from?
Bret Bauer, he goes by sstrokerace on here. And while the .050 duration may be similar to some off the shelf cams, the rest of the specs are completly different.
Old 01-03-2007, 09:16 PM
JUICED96Z

Originally Posted by Gun5
hmm guess id get a loyd cam since i got his LE2 heads

My issue with his is he gives you rough flow numbers and says they should flow AROUND a number.

My porter is flow benching my heads, Bret B will then spec me a cam to my combo and my flow numbers. Everything will match as perfect as you get get it IMHO.

In the end I will have a little more power because the cam is speced to the exact numbers, not a round about number.

He is also porting my intake out as much as he can.
Old 01-03-2007, 09:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Eh if I ever have the cash to build something, I will spend the extra to get a cam that works with the combo. Might as well spend the bit more to make it all work great from the start.

I think its fair all the cam threads, some people just want some more hp, but don't want to spend a lot of money. The off the shelf cams would probably be just fine then, I'm sure a custom grind isn't worth it, if you call up and go Hey I have a cold air intake and exhaust, um custom grind me something.
Old 01-04-2007, 11:00 AM
On The Tree

i only paid 237 for my custom cam shipped to my door. so tell me why you shouldn't get a custom cam. brian
Old 01-04-2007, 11:04 AM
Internet Mechanic

Originally Posted by toby
i only paid 237 for my custom cam shipped to my door. so tell me why you shouldn't get a custom cam. brian

Its not just a cam you buy, if you have no other supporting mods, most custom cams are getting pretty aggressive and work off with a 1.6 ratio rocker in mind. So your buying the cam, rockers, studs, pushrods, spring kit, gaskets, tune. Not to mention the bolt on mods to make use of the combo.

If you dont have the basic stuff like CAI, headers, and cat back, you should rethink a custom route.

Also, your going to need a tune, mail order might get you by but dyno tune is the proper way to do it and may require special attention
Old 01-04-2007, 11:50 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by slick1851
STOP and try somthing else! Im sick and tired of LT1 guys doing the same thing over and over again....You say its proven? Yet the big number/big power guys tell you other wise

The Hot cam is a tiny winy baby cam, along with the other 4 off the self cams that have been talked about millions of times, It is so much better to go with a nice custom ground cam!

What are you guys scared of?Your only holding your selfs back by sticking to the same stuff over and over again

LOOK AT THE FAST/ BIG POWER GUYS ON HERE FOR HELP!!!!! THERES A REASON WHY THERE CAR MOVES OUT!

That is my Rant
While I think there is a trade off in performance versus drivablility, I agree from a performance stand point that a custom cam tailored for a specific combo is ideal. My first 383 had the Comp 503 cam in it. It ran fine and sounded nice but ran mid twelves at best.

My new cam is a custom grind solid roller from Comp for my new 388 stroker LT4. Suffice it to say that it is substancially bigger and should perform much better from a performance stand point. Driveability may be a whole other matter.
Old 01-04-2007, 12:23 PM
TWS
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by OutlawZ
agree and disagree....

a custom cam will get you exactly what you need but big cams are not always fun. the cam SEVERELY alters the way a car runs, starts, idles, drives..... so bigger would be better for power but it's all based on what you intend to do with the car, the displacement, the cylinder head flow, etc.... if you have stock heads you can put a monster cam in your car but have fun enjoying it cuz it's gonna suck *****.....

everthing is relative and all based around the combo. If you have "Hot cam" heads then a hot cam is what you need..... If you have AFR 227's fully hogged out with a single plane intake then you should have a custom ground solid roller with over .650 lift and monster duration cuz "driveability" should have become your least worry anyways....

Off the shelf cams are totally appropriate for a number of folk's applications.

Not everyone is going for a max-effort record breaker build up.

I've used Comp 502, 503 and 306 grinds at various stages of building and rebuilding my '94 Z28. Currently I AM going with a custom grind, but that's because we are trying to build a monster 396 that will not see as much street duty as previous engines in my '94 have seen. We are waiting until my heads are totally finished and we have flow numbers across the whole range. I know I'm stating the obvious to many members, but picking a custom cam profile without first getting head flow data is retarded.
Old 01-04-2007, 12:41 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by TWS

Off the shelf cams are totally appropriate for a number of folk's applications.

Not everyone is going for a max-effort record breaker build up.

...I know I'm stating the obvious to many members, but picking a custom cam profile without first getting head flow data is retarded.

I agree.

My engine builder picked a custom grind SR after my head flow numbers came in, they flowed 313 cfm. It's also important to take into account all the other variables such as other engine specs and or power adder application and chassis set up. I have been told my new motor will be 9 second capable on the TNT. It all about the total package.
Old 01-04-2007, 01:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

STOP and try somthing else! Im sick and tired of LT1 guys doing the same thing over and over again....You say its proven? Yet the big number/big power guys tell you other wise

The Hot cam is a tiny winy baby cam, along with the other 4 off the self cams that have been talked about millions of times, It is so much better to go with a nice custom ground cam!

What are you guys scared of?Your only holding your selfs back by sticking to the same stuff over and over again

LOOK AT THE FAST/ BIG POWER GUYS ON HERE FOR HELP!!!!! THERES A REASON WHY THERE CAR MOVES OUT!

That is my Rant
Your right everyone has a track car, never driven on the street with wallet full of money to buy all the supporting mods have have it dyno tuned. What am i even wasting money on my f-body. I'll go pick up a Lambo.
Old 01-04-2007, 01:20 PM
Banned

Interesting thread....

As far as shelf cams go there are about 2 of them that are pretty strong pieces for a 350/355 motor, the baby cams I guess are ok but you can get more out of that duration range by doing things right.

When you get into strokers then shelf cams don't really fit the bill anymore. About the only thing you can do is pick the big cams and call it a day if you don't go custom.

The real difference in a custom is getting everything you want out of the motor. Idle, drivability, TQ curve, RPM range, emissions etc.... getting the combination of things you want is why you go custom. A guy who has a weekend play toy he cruises to the local meets and flogs on the streets is going to want something different than a guy who trailers the car to the track.

In the end it comes down to PICKING the right one for you. That's half of the problem for most guys, knowing enough to get everything they WANT out of the cam/motor.

FWIW some custom cams can look very simple to the average guy who looks at durations or very off the wall, there are a lot more things that matter in the end than just .050" durations and LSA's.

Bret
Old 01-04-2007, 01:27 PM
11 Second Club

That is my Rant
Old 01-04-2007, 07:35 PM
On The Tree

i would like to see more people use the new voodoo cams from lunati. everybody always recommends the cams from comp and crane, but never the cams from anywhere else.

Quick Reply: Lt1 Cam Rant! Others Will Agree With Me!