LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Lt1 Cam Rant! Others Will Agree With Me!

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2007, 07:44 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by toby
i would like to see more people use the new voodoo cams from lunati. everybody always recommends the cams from comp and crane, but never the cams from anywhere else.
Lunati has a great reputation with the old school crowd, but they just aren't proven with the LT1. Most people don't want to experiment, they want something proven, and most of the companies that experiment with LT1 engines have moved on to other things or just aren't interested. I'm experimenting with a new grind from comp, the xfi.
Old 01-04-2007, 08:11 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I think many of the "baby" cams are good grinds it is the bigger you get the more the manufacturers compromise what is right to make the too large cam drivable. Problem is folks do not pick the right cam very often, you get kids who want "it to lope hard" or other such stupidity but once they install it they hate how it drives probably because they only did half the supporting mods. Since those people are the majority the off the shelf stuff caters to them and have the option of custom available for the rest of us, thing is "custom" does not mean what most seem to think. "Custom" means someone with more experiance has helped you pick already existing lobes and get them timed on the cam appropriately without the compromises usually made to satisfy emmisions or ignorance requirments.
We all know someone who has put a 306 or the like in an otherwise stock car and then tried to run it untuned that is what the cam manufacturers have to deal with when specing off the shelf cams.

Far as experimenting with an XFI grind you sound as if you think you are pioneering something, those are readily available off the shelf grinds guys have been using for has to be over a year now, they suffer the usual downfalls just have ramps made to take advantage of the beehive spring capabilities.
Old 01-04-2007, 08:22 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't have one of the shelf cams, though...

Quick Reply: Lt1 Cam Rant! Others Will Agree With Me!