LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Its DEAD!

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2007, 06:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Its DEAD!

Well I was going to get some Burgers today, I took off in the Trans Am. I made it down my street about three blocks, and it just died, it sounded like I had just turned the key off.

Well I tried to start it up again and nothing, it just cranked and cranked. It would sound like it would want to start here and there and then it would start for maybe 1 or 2 seconds, then shut off again. Well I walked home and towed it back to my house, I unhooked it and got in just to see if it would start, and then it started for like 10 seconds.

Any ideas what it might be?????

I have the mods in the sig, and I was driving around with my cutouts open.

I think its the coil or the opti, because I can still hear the fuel pump and smell the fuel after cranking for a while.

I am going to take off the accel coil that I put on a few years back and just slap my old one on there and see if that was it.
Old 01-05-2007, 07:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

It sounds like your not getting any spark. It may be your ignition module or perhaps the infamous optispark.
Old 01-05-2007, 09:15 PM
12 Second Club

make sure you have spark and fuel.....just because you can hear the pump prime doesnt elliminate it. it does sound fuel related to me though....and as far as smelling fuel, you cant go by that either. hook a fuel pressure gauge up and see how much pressure you have
Old 01-05-2007, 09:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

It had been sitting since before Christmas, I went home for the holiday break, and when I got back I hadnt started it till today.
I replaced the Opti with an AC delco about 33K miles, or about 2 years ago

Im really stumped, I am going to tear into it tomorrow.
Old 01-05-2007, 09:29 PM
Launching!

there is a harness that goes between the opti and the computer. you might want to check it and make shure it is in there making good contact. If you need to get a new harness they are 140 from gm. but if you do research then you can get them for about 40.
Old 01-05-2007, 09:59 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by the_hunted
there is a harness that goes between the opti and the computer. you might want to check it and make shure it is in there making good contact. If you need to get a new harness they are 140 from gm. but if you do research then you can get them for about 40.
I have a good one that was just pulled out of a car. PM if you need it.
Old 01-05-2007, 10:10 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Loook through every thing before dumping money in to it, could be some thing as simple as a igniition switch being bad. People blame the opti as the first resort instead of seeing what else it could be. I dont know how many Lt1s I have seen where they dump money in an opti andit ends up being some like a bad egr valve, or a ignition module.
Old 01-05-2007, 10:43 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by BizZzatch350
Loook through every thing before dumping money in to it, could be some thing as simple as a igniition switch being bad. People blame the opti as the first resort instead of seeing what else it could be. I dont know how many Lt1s I have seen where they dump money in an opti andit ends up being some like a bad egr valve, or a ignition module.
this man speaks the truth!
Old 01-05-2007, 10:44 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by the_hunted
That can usually be the culprit. It can also be your ignition coil wire itself. Make sure it is making a good consistent connection to the ignition coil, and to the opti.

Either of those can cause the car to cut out for absolutely no reason.
Old 01-05-2007, 10:44 PM
Teching In

My car was doing something similar about a year ago, and I still had fire and everything, so it seemed like the opti and coil were working fine. However, even though it had fire, it turned out to be the coil, so you might want to check it out.
Old 01-06-2007, 07:20 AM
TECH Veteran

Yeah I had mine quit once and I thought it was the opti initially but it was the coil. BTW, I just wanted to make a plug on the harness since it was mentioned. Not that I think you should just throw money at it.
Old 01-06-2007, 08:02 AM
11 Second Club

Received 143 Likes on 112 Posts

Yea, sounds like Ignition, most of the time the Fuel Pump goes out when you are parked. That's what mine did..
Take the Coil Wire off of the Opti, have someone crank it for a sec and see it if sparks.
Old 01-06-2007, 12:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well I was arranging my small tool box to go outside and check the coil, I was going to pull off the coil wire like mentioned above, and then if I had no fire I was going to take it off and the module and take it to Autozone and have them test it. and guess what. ITS FREAKING RAINING LIKE CRAZY!!!
Old 01-06-2007, 12:37 PM
11 Second Club

Received 143 Likes on 112 Posts

Fuel..
Old 01-06-2007, 03:04 PM
Launching!

another thing some people dont realize is that these cars are getting old, so the plastic on the clips go bad over time. This isnt true on all of them but most. So I would definitly check all your connections.
Old 01-06-2007, 06:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ok well It finally stopped raining so I went outside and it started right up, I got kinda happy but I knew it was going to stall again. so about 3-5 minutes later it died again. So I had my new phone with me and I took a few videos for you guys to check out.

My next door neighbor works for Autozone and he borrowed the scan tool and brought it over so I scanned it and go these codes

P0100, for the MAF but I unplugged it while it was missing to see if that was it.

P0122, TPS code, this is what Im starting to think is the problem

P0372, Timing Reference High Res Signal, Crank or Cam Position sensor couldnt tell

P1371 Misfire. duh

Well Here are the videos
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2eRXswrFXQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWs7ZEM1PsQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_G0BHRbmtUc
Old 01-06-2007, 06:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

My freind's SS had this problem turned out he got some coolant on his cam postion sensor connector. After we dryed the connection out it still had the same problem. Turned out that the little prongs inside the connector wasn't making proper contact with the cam position sensor. After bending the prongs back out CAREFULLY it fired up and ran just like new. Control modules have a tendency to do the same thing. They cool down and work until the heat sink gets to hot and quit again.
Old 01-07-2007, 06:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 96slow6
Was the tps code for high or low voltage? also the pins in the opti harness and opti can corrode and cause the bad conection to.
The TPS code was for low voltage in the A circuit
Old 01-07-2007, 07:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 96slow6
that wouldnt cause it to die but it would stop you from getting wot input to the pcm.
The sensor on the front end behind the balancer, towards the bottom of the timing chain cover, is that the crankshaft sensor?

Im starting to think that It might be the reason for the missfire.

I let the car sit all night without the battery connected, so I am going to start it up maybe tomorrow and let it run and see what codes come on again. Maybe me messing with it caused some extra codes.
Old 01-07-2007, 11:36 PM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My car recently was missing pretty bad and it was the wire from the coil to opti that was bad. It was running ok one day, just missing on occasion, then it got worse, then it wouldnt start. I let it sit for a few days and tried to start it and it fired right up. Gave it some gas and it died. Like I said the wire was shot. Just a thought though. Hope you figure it out soon and it isn't too much of a pain in the ***.

Quick Reply: Its DEAD!