LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Looking for emissions legal headers and y-pipe

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2007, 05:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have everything for only $370 + shipping. PM me if you're interested.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/lsx-parts-sale/639045-lt1-headers-stuff-sale.html
Old 01-20-2007, 12:52 AM
Teching In

If I lived in cali, Id move.
Old 03-16-2007, 01:32 AM
Teching In

Actually, 94Fbody is not exactly right. You can install any aftermarket parts on the car including turbos as long as those parts have been certified as smog legal with the CARB.

For example, the STS Turbo is legal on GTOs and LS1 Camaros and Firebirds.
http://arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/devices/eo/D-593.pdf

Here's an article of a magazine building a 383 with a blower and the whole thing is CA smog legal.
http://www.superchevy.com/tech/0308s...harged_engine/

You just have to choose your parts wisely.

-Burt
Old 03-16-2007, 01:54 AM
On The Tree

I have the dual cat Edelbrock ceramic coated headers for 96-97 fbodys. I'm removing this month with the factory dual cat set up. $200 and I'd say there yours
Old 03-16-2007, 09:11 PM
TECH Resident

yes cali does suck i got pulled over in my 80z28 and got a fix it ticket for having my built 327 in it no smog at all lol i didnt put the smog motor back in it so i got fined for 326 every once and awhile they pull over the ricers and you see them looking under hood but no so much the american cars the 80 has been on non op for about 5 months now that i got the new camaro dunno if i want to keep it or not now.. anytakers
Old 03-17-2007, 01:30 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 94 F-body
in Cali I heard all cars/trucks that want to tuch the street weather it is to park or to drive on that are 1976 to 2007 have smog laws to deal with, all have to have 1 or more cat's, 1 or more o2's, a muffler behind the rear axel / closed exaust system ( no open cut outs, but you can have one, just closed at all times on the street ), no dual header set ups, an EGR, an air pump, a turbo is allowed if and only if the factory put one there and it has to be a small one, superchargers are legal, no NO2 is allowed to be ran on the street ( it can be installed but you are not allowed to have the bottle hooked up on the street ), all non stock parts like throttle bodys have to have an EO # for the part and is displayed under the hood or on the part, headders are alowed if you keep the cat's in the factory location and the same number of cat's and there is an EO# for them, and that is to get a sticker for your license plate and valid regerstration which is needed to get insurance that is required by law, so long *** story later if you want to have power on the street it gets very costly very quickly, not to mention the rolling smog stations that are ran by the CHP that make shure you have all of your papers up to date that you have to look out for Cali sucks *** for us car guys
Out here in Commifornia, you are stuck with a smog inspection (no safety checks) on all vehicles (including trucks - excluding diesels that last time I checked) from 1975 to the present day. You do not have to smog for the 1st 4 years of registration from new. ALL aftermarket parts, not considered stock replacements, ie headers, turbos, superchargers, ect., without a CARB (Californina Air Resources Board) exemption number are considered illegal and will FAIL the visual inspection instantly. All emissions systems that came with the vehicle from the factory must be installed and working. That means the air pump and related fittings and the EGR must be installed and working. The cat must be installed and in the stock location. Technically changing a single cat to a dual set-up is not allowed (I have never seen anyone check this in 22 years of dealing with smog checks).
There are mobile smog check stations. I have never ran into one yet. Yes, you do have to unhook the nitrous bottle if you have one. The cops out here, at least in the areas frequented by the street race crowd, may or may not ask you to pop the hood if puled over. If there is illegal equipment, ie. headers w/o CARB numbers, ect. the car is subject to impoundment.
Now in actual practice, you can make mods without getting into too much trouble. All the standard free mods and most bolt-ons will not have many, if any issues. I have an LT4 HOT cam and the car will pass the smog test, not by much -right at the limit - but it will pass. My headers are Edelbrock WITH a CARB number. I have a Magnaflow Cat-back in 3" with a 3" Cat IN THE STOCK LOCATION. You can also change TQ converters and gears, and as long as you have the computer reprogramed for the changes, you really won't have too much of a problem. It has more to do with how you drive and act in dealing with the local law enforcement. Most will appreciate seeing a nice V8 powered car and enjoy the sound (most cat-backs with mufflers are quieter than the stupid harley's running around with no mufflers). However, if you drive it like you stole it, and drive like an a$$, you will get into trouble leading to other issues (see pop the hood above )

Sorry for the long post - my 2 cents

Quick Reply: Looking for emissions legal headers and y-pipe