LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Pics of my catch can setup for you guys wondering how to do it.

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2007, 10:44 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can the filter within the home depot unit be cleaned? Or do you need to replace it after a certain time, if that is even an option?
Old 06-16-2007, 01:13 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by InsaneAuto86
What size fittings are used on the air compressor filter? xxx to 3/8"?
The filter accepts 1/4" pipe thread.
Old 06-16-2007, 01:19 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Steve40th
Can the filter within the home depot unit be cleaned? Or do you need to replace it after a certain time, if that is even an option?
I don't know of any way to clean it. I thought about maybe soaking it in alcohol or something but I haven't tried that yet. It is possible to order a new one from Campbell-Hausfeld, which is the brand of my catch can. H.D. brand is Husky, not sure if they have the replacement element available, but I'm pretty sure both brands are identical, probabaly the same exact unit sold by different companies. Many people remove the element altogether. I don't think that would affect the performance of the catch can too much, since it relies on condensing the vapors into a liquid to trap them. I think the filter element is more for solid particles, of which there shouldn't be any really in the crankcase of an engine.
Old 02-15-2009, 06:17 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by speed_demon24
Heres a few pics of mine.
http://picsorban.com/upload/catch can 1.jpg
http://picsorban.com/upload/catch can 2.jpg
http://picsorban.com/upload/catch can 3.jpg

The purolater breather filter just has mesh inside it so it won't clog up it will just stop the oil fumes from entering the TB at WOT.

Do you still have the pics and can upload them somewhere else or send them to me? Im going to buy the same catchcan and just want to see where you mounted it.

Thanks
Old 02-15-2009, 11:22 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by speed_demon24
I didn't realize this thread was still going. I ended up taking off the tube to the throttle body since oil was still getting in the intake from that hose even with the filter on it. So now I'm running a breather on each valve cover and a catch can inline with the pcv.
Any downfall, to removing that hose completely? In theory, it works the same as the breather..
Old 02-16-2009, 12:55 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by krill
Do you still have the pics and can upload them somewhere else or send them to me? Im going to buy the same catchcan and just want to see where you mounted it.

Thanks
Here's some pics of mine:

Parts used:

And here's the breather filter installed in the passenger side valve cover:

Originally Posted by flyinZ
Any downfall, to removing that hose completely? In theory, it works the same as the breather..
If you remove that hose and put a breather in the passenger side valve cover you are letting unmetered air into the intake, since that air will go through the crankcase, out the PCV valve and into the intake manifold. The MAF does not see this air. You would be creating a vacuum leak. This does not apply to '93s however, since they have no MAF, so a breather would be ok.
Old 02-16-2009, 02:25 PM
TECH Regular

If I may add a little bit of some 'reasonable' info to this, the idea that using a breather is a vacuum leak is only partially true, in that yes it does allowed unmetered air into the intake manifold, but the reality of the situation is the passages used for EGR/PCV (they share the same ports in the intake runners) are small enough that it would never allow a 'gross' amount of air in thus only affecting things slightly which the LT1 pcm is well within it's limits of correcting, and another thing to consider is that at high RPM there can be considerable blow-by, which in itself is unmetered air.

Now, considering blow-by may be partially combustable, but usually with a lot lower quantity of oxygen than fresh has, it is usually not figured into the system as a 'leak' or any appreciable level of add-in combustable component. It is primarily done as an emissions-limiter in that blow-by isn't spewed into the atmosphere, it is recirculated, which in turn affects the combustion cycle reducing emissions further. Now, blow-by itself really only taints the combustion charge, so it could be argued to not allow blow-by into the intake tract at all only helps power production, which would be correct. But, do we want our cars smelling like blow-by all the time by only having a breather?

The PCV system is only in use under manifold vacuum, thus it only applys while cruising and at idle. The flow in those conditions goes from in front of the throttleblades (it does this via the passages under the throttlebody plate which is designed to capture larger vapor particles), then through the hose on the passenger valvecover, through the crankcase, up through the passage that is covered by the baffle under the intake (which is there to prevent the PCV system from sucking up large oil droplets), up through the PCV vale, into the front of the intake, through a set of internal passages that end up with a small port in each intake runner. That allows engine blow-by to be sucked into the intake to lower emissions. I forget if it is NOX, or CO that it helps lower... Now these passages in the intake ports are also used for idle air that is metered by the IAC valve as well as EGR recirculation under cruise conditions. The use of these passages for idle air is how there is balance without the front cylinders 'stealing' all the idle air if they did not exist. The cracking of the throttle blade to allow for 'gross adjustablity' is there only to allow the IAC to come into a useable range... The problem with strokers and bigger motors are seen by a throttle-blade crack induced BLM split. It gets better the more the throttleblades are towards totally blocking off air, and worse the more they are opened up.

Now, at WOT the system has absoloutly no 'fresh air intake', in that the PCV remains closed due to low vacuum, the hose on the passenger valvecover reverses flow and all engine blow-by gets sucked into the throttlebody through the same passage under the throttlebody plate and into the intake manifold main cavity. This effect has a secondary engine function of creating a vacuum that helps the piston rings seal and keeps negative pressure on all oil seals which means there are fewer leaks.

All in all, the PCV system is a necessary function for not only emissions but proper engine longevity, external leak control and proper engine operation which includes peak power generation.
Old 02-16-2009, 10:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm not sure where my catch 'can' is right now (we moved, so it's somewhere), but I'll be using the system for Oxygen in Hospitals, to keep moisture out. It's actually just a plastic can and nothing high tech, but it's going to work so much better than my AC Condenser version lol (Not my drawing)

I would've fitted the can with 2 barbed fittings and a clear hose to show oil level, and then a drain **** on the bottom for draining. Given that the ones I was using were steel and not aluminum, I was able to weld on them. Then I cam across that hospital piece and my life became so much easier lol Clear cylinder, premolded barb fittings and it screws together!

Best pic I can find is this, but it's not quite the same. As it doesn't have all that metal stuff on top, and it has another barb fitting with leads into a straw that is down into the bottom of the cylinder
http://www.63288045.com/upload/Q_CTL001-2003C.jpg
Old 02-17-2009, 01:41 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Formula413
Here's some pics of mine:

Parts used:

And here's the breather filter installed in the passenger side valve cover:

If you remove that hose and put a breather in the passenger side valve cover you are letting unmetered air into the intake, since that air will go through the crankcase, out the PCV valve and into the intake manifold. The MAF does not see this air. You would be creating a vacuum leak. This does not apply to '93s however, since they have no MAF, so a breather would be ok.

Thanks, but I already have that exact setup right now and the same filter on the valvecover.
Im looking for mounted pics on the catchcan TR sells: http://www.thunderracing.com/catalog...d=776&pcid=316

It comes with a mounting bracket and I want to know a good place to mount it!
Old 02-17-2009, 07:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by krill
Thanks, but I already have that exact setup right now and the same filter on the valvecover.
Im looking for mounted pics on the catchcan TR sells: http://www.thunderracing.com/catalog...d=776&pcid=316

It comes with a mounting bracket and I want to know a good place to mount it!
haha I should build a catchcan based off an aftermarket AC system's condenser. It'd be so easy now seeing how they went about doing it all Save myself $100 >_> Sure, wouldn't be billet, but c'mon it's just catching excess oil vapor!!
Old 02-18-2009, 06:44 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Formula350
haha I should build a catchcan based off an aftermarket AC system's condenser. It'd be so easy now seeing how they went about doing it all Save myself $100 >_> Sure, wouldn't be billet, but c'mon it's just catching excess oil vapor!!
Unfortunately someone already did that

The one I plan on using looks like this and is 40$:

Just want ideas where to mount it, with or without the bracket. I have som ideas but want to see how others have done it..

Quick Reply: Pics of my catch can setup for you guys wondering how to do it.