LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Good or Junk??

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2007, 06:10 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Good or Junk??

My SLP CAI hardly fits and makes taking off the elbow a pain so I was thinking of switching it out to something else.

I found this on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/93-94...86841642QQrdZ1

Good or junk?

Also what CAI would you guys recommend?
Old 02-20-2007, 01:12 PM
TECH Addict

ttt!!
Old 02-20-2007, 02:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Well, I am not sure that I would call that a CAI, since it still draws air from inside the engine compartment.
When I was N/A, I had the K&N Filtercharger. I never had any issues with it, except for one time. I was driving on the freeway and drove through a downpour. The engine stumbled once as it sucked water into the filter. Other than that, it worked flawlessly.
Removing the elbow was very easy with the K&N (it uses the stock elbow).
Old 02-20-2007, 02:32 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The eBay intakes aren't great by anymeans -- they're kind of like elastic waistband pants. They get the job done, but they sure as hell don't look good. Atleast you're not showing your *** though right?

I ran one on my car for over a year without an issue. It is metal so people argue it will get heat soaked and you'll lose power. Granted if you're driving for a long time or in traffic it'll heat up -- but when it really counts the air is moving through it so fast it isn't that big of a deal. The differences in power are going to be minimal and so variable from test to test that it really isn't much to call home about. If your SLP CAI is a pain in your *** and you're looking for something cheap that'll get the job done, then you've come to the right part.

Worst comes to worst, shop around for a used K&N or Moroso intake. Shop on eBay too if you're looking to go super cheap. I remember I found mine on there for no more than $25 shipped.
Old 02-20-2007, 02:50 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

you should be punished for trying to put that on your car lol my freind bought same thing for his old grand prix the filter is like a wall barely any air gets through, it sits in the engine bay with all the heat. just stick with the slp or i recommend moros. it cost cheap works good, i found mine on ebay for 100 dollars and i have no trouble with taking off my elbow
Old 02-20-2007, 08:16 PM
TECH Resident

Junk! The SLP is good but if your not happy with it get a Moroso.
Old 02-20-2007, 08:58 PM
On The Tree

go with moroso, yuoll be happy with it looks nice to
Old 02-20-2007, 09:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Junk. Check out Lingenfelter.. cheapest.
Old 02-21-2007, 09:47 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by donkey mule
Junk! The SLP is good but if your not happy with it get a Moroso.

It was on the car when I bought it. It must have been installed by a moron, the intake doesnt seal up properly to the maf, it pushes the maf too far to the left and makes taking off the elbow a huge pain, some how they managed to smash to the two little filters in there.

Thank god the rest of the car still works...
Old 02-21-2007, 10:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

look at it like this, its $14.99. you get what you pay for. JUNK!!
Old 02-21-2007, 01:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Ironxcross
It was on the car when I bought it. It must have been installed by a moron, the intake doesnt seal up properly to the maf, it pushes the maf too far to the left and makes taking off the elbow a huge pain, some how they managed to smash to the two little filters in there.

Thank god the rest of the car still works...
You must have a 93' model CAI. They are longer to compensate the no MAF.
Old 02-21-2007, 02:20 PM
TECH Addict

That would explain why it fits like ****.
Old 02-21-2007, 08:38 PM
Staging Lane

If you have a Vortec elbow, you have to trim about 2" for a maf equiped car. Otherwise, you'll need to trim the CAI and install it correctly
Old 02-27-2007, 02:30 PM
Launching!

Ironxcross - I just sent back a brand new SLP CAI because of fitment issues (ie, moving the MAF too far over). After talking with SLP, they thought it was the '93 unit that was misboxed, but after finding some pictures, it was actually the correct model for my '95.

It should be such a simple mod, but even the K&N FIPK doesn't fit properly on cars with ASR (like mine) because a brake line is routed differently on these models. So, for me, both the SLP and K&N haven't fit very well. I was thinking about getting another SLP and modifying it to properly fit, or look into my other choices, which are the Moroso and LPE. Looks like I'm going to end up going through all of them.

Last edited by jb442; 02-27-2007 at 02:33 PM. Reason: Correction.
Old 02-27-2007, 03:11 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by jb442
Ironxcross - I just sent back a brand new SLP CAI because of fitment issues (ie, moving the MAF too far over). After talking with SLP, they thought it was the '93 unit that was misboxed, but after finding some pictures, it was actually the correct model for my '95.

It should be such a simple mod, but even the K&N FIPK doesn't fit properly on cars with ASR (like mine) because a brake line is routed differently on these models. So, for me, both the SLP and K&N haven't fit very well. I was thinking about getting another SLP and modifying it to properly fit, or look into my other choices, which are the Moroso and LPE. Looks like I'm going to end up going through all of them.
How are you going to modify it? I was thinking of doing the same thing, but I didn't want to cut into the intake without having a good plan to follow. All I did to get it to line up better was pull it out of the notch it was supposed to sit in, and take out plate that keeps the hot air from getting sucked. But anyway, whats your plan for modifying? I really don't feel like blowing $150+ for something I already have.
Old 02-27-2007, 03:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i bought one of those intake elbows that look like the trick flow off ebay and it works great Get a Moroso intake if you can. i have that on mine and LOVE it. Looks nice and you should be able to track one down for pretty cheap if your lucky~Cole~
Old 02-27-2007, 03:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Speak of the devil VVVVVVVVVV
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Camar...spagenameZWDVW
Old 02-27-2007, 06:35 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ColeTrains'96Z28

goooo moroso ha got mine off ebay too was a good bargain
Old 02-28-2007, 12:56 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Ironxcross
How are you going to modify it? I was thinking of doing the same thing, but I didn't want to cut into the intake without having a good plan to follow. All I did to get it to line up better was pull it out of the notch it was supposed to sit in, and take out plate that keeps the hot air from getting sucked. But anyway, whats your plan for modifying? I really don't feel like blowing $150+ for something I already have.
If I happen to get another SLP, I was thinking about modifying it something like this (cut at green line):

Another idea would be to modify the bracket on the tube so it can sit further over in the factory mounting location, like this:

The second option would require you to modify or make a new plate if you wanted to isolate the filters... It seems like too much trouble come to think of it.

Doing all this depends on how the Moroso unit fits since I have one of those on the way now... If it doesn't fit because of my ASR or something else, it goes back too.
Old 02-28-2007, 01:01 AM
TECH Addict

Thats a pretty good description. I guess I just find it so ironic that the SLP is probably the most expensive intakes for the LT1, yet it fits so bad. ::sigh::

I was thinking of going custom with it, but I didn't want it to look like ****.

Oh well, maybe I'll win that moroso, where can you get extra filters for the moroso intake? The one in the picture looks a little roughed up.

Quick Reply: Good or Junk??