LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

my car wont pass emissions what can i do ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2007, 06:27 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my car wont pass emissions what can i do ?

my car wont pass emissions here are the codes that it shows
p0400- egr flow malfuncion
p1642- manufacturer specific code
what do the codes mean if you know give your info
Old 02-24-2007, 06:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

if you have egr still, then either the valve or the the lines are clogged. if you took it off get a tuner to do whatever they do to make them go away. not sure if they delete it or just trick the pcm. not sure what the man. specific code is
Old 02-24-2007, 07:08 PM
TECH Regular

thanks man
Old 02-24-2007, 07:08 PM
TECH Regular

any one else?
Old 02-24-2007, 08:48 PM
11 Second Club

If you have a high mileage vechicle, I willing to bet its the erg valve.
Old 02-24-2007, 09:00 PM
TECH Regular

87k miles
Old 02-24-2007, 09:05 PM
11 Second Club

EGR systems usually do not require regular maintenance. Signs of a malfunctioning EGR valve or its related components include engine spark knock under acceleration, rough idle, stalling, and reduced power.
Old 02-24-2007, 09:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

My EGR solenoid and valve stopped working but I didn't have any performance problems. You would only have problems if it broke and stayed open. Don't know if that is possible, but that wasn't my case.

What are the emissions test results? High NOx is from the EGR.
Old 02-25-2007, 11:56 PM
Teching In

I had the same problem with my Supercharged 95 LT1 TA with no cat. It would not pass E-check. I tried everything from fuel additives, to fake waivers my friend made who was a mechanic, to just about anything you can think of without actually modifing naything major on the car. On my fourth attempt to try and pass,I gave this a shot,"not thinking it would work", and passed with flying colors.

Here is a quick diagram I made to explain what i mean.

I blocked off side B, and let all the fumes travel out of side A.
I used the solid plate that comes with the Borla exhaust.

when I took the car down to E-check, they stuck two probes in the exhaust,one for each exhaust pipe. So one probe read freash air, while the other sides probe read the pollution coming out of the tailpipe.

Only having the exhaust coming out of one side,and not the other, cut my exhaust readings in half! I passed with flying colors. I did this and it worked, give it a shot.

I do have a borla, but if you don't have a Boarla, I am sure you can rig something up to make the exhaust only come out one exhaust pipe, instead of two.

Now I have a 383, and have Collector Plates, because I had over $5000 in recipts to prove went into the car , which made it eligible for collector plates.

Last edited by Jays383LT1; 02-26-2007 at 12:04 AM.
Old 02-26-2007, 04:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Jays383LT1
I had the same problem with my Supercharged 95 LT1 TA with no cat. It would not pass E-check. I tried everything from fuel additives, to fake waivers my friend made who was a mechanic, to just about anything you can think of without actually modifing naything major on the car. On my fourth attempt to try and pass,I gave this a shot,"not thinking it would work", and passed with flying colors.

when I took the car down to E-check, they stuck two probes in the exhaust,one for each exhaust pipe. So one probe read freash air, while the other sides probe read the pollution coming out of the tailpipe.

Only having the exhaust coming out of one side,and not the other, cut my exhaust readings in half! I passed with flying colors. I did this and it worked, give it a shot.

I do have a borla, but if you don't have a Boarla, I am sure you can rig something up to make the exhaust only come out one exhaust pipe, instead of two.

Now I have a 383, and have Collector Plates, because I had over $5000 in recipts to prove went into the car , which made it eligible for collector plates.
LOL those fools!

How did they not see one side was reading 0 compared to the other?

That is funny I remember doing something like that with my cutout on my car when I was younger. (I left the cutout open yet they tested exhaust from the exhaust tip.) Now that I think about it however why did they do that with my OBD 2 car?

I remember the old man saying thats one of the cleanest burning cars I have ever seen. LOL
Old 02-26-2007, 07:40 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Jays383LT1

good looking ride man i like the hood. i have the same one it makes the car look so mean

Quick Reply: my car wont pass emissions what can i do ?