LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

reset odometer

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 10:18 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default reset odometer

like above is there any way possible to reset the odometer? is the info stored in the pcm just wondering
Old 03-07-2007, 10:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nope it aint i got a few clusters.. analog and digital.. digitals can be changed w/ a laptop
Old 03-08-2007, 12:23 AM
On The Tree

i kinda wish that too, i got about 76k on my odo but its broke now, so im at about 78k, i have been keeping track kinda. but the only gauge i found so far is 83k, so it kinda sucks i have to get one thats that much higher but i guess it doesnt matter since the motor has like, 1500 on it at most!!
Old 03-08-2007, 01:29 AM
Launching!

you sure its your odo? could be speed sensor on the transmission.
Old 03-08-2007, 07:08 AM
On The Tree

well yeah esentially the speedo doesnt work. however i am debating either getting a whole new cluster or a speed sensor. its a toss up because the tranny is new to the car and the gauges have been removed for overlays. so i am betting a 60 dollar cluster that the speedo gear is broken, over the speed sensor. but if i pull it out and thats not the case ill just resell the cluster i bought. seems those are always good for atleast 50-70 bucks.
Old 03-08-2007, 08:34 PM
TECH Resident

i just dont like looking at 106k what kind of program wouldyou use on a lap top? would a new gm cluster read zero or is the miles stored somewhere else i want to reset it when i get my new motor done also going to do all carpet seats and headliner and dash cover that cracked when i was cleaning it want to keep it looking cherry lol
Old 03-09-2007, 04:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah interested in this too for when i rebuild my motor.
Old 03-09-2007, 04:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

does anyone know how to reset the normal ones? like turn it back?

step by step or maybe even a link they tells you and shows your pictures
Old 03-09-2007, 05:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by letsrun97z
i just dont like looking at 106k what kind of program wouldyou use on a lap top?...
Then buy a new car.

Why would you wanna to mess with the mileage reading. Everytime you smog, change insurance, etc. they log what your mileage is... and it will show up on things like Carfax... then if you ever try to sell it, the carfax will notice the innacurate mileage and report it to the person looking to buy it... which is not good.

But to each their own i guess.
Old 03-09-2007, 05:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by xxrillixx
Then buy a new car.

Why would you wanna to mess with the mileage reading. Everytime you smog, change insurance, etc. they log what your mileage is... and it will show up on things like Carfax... then if you ever try to sell it, the carfax will notice the innacurate mileage and report it to the person looking to buy it... which is not good.

But to each their own i guess.
your right never thought about that.
Old 03-09-2007, 06:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Do a google search on tampering with ODOMETER. Its considered "FRAUD" In many states its a felony. If you change the milage you've increased the value of the car and in most states if the buyer can prove the mileage was changed he can win damages.

Now setting an odometer to match the current mileage of a vehicle is OK; GM dealers used to do it(and probably still can).
Old 03-10-2007, 08:13 PM
TECH Resident

well in that case i'll say it reset its self haha just pick'd the car up little over a month ago with 101k on it and now it's 7 i guess ill paint over it so i dont have to look at it
Old 03-10-2007, 08:18 PM
TECH Resident

ODOMETER TAMPERING IS ILLEGAL UNDER STATE AND FEDERAL LAW
Violators of state and federal odometer tampering laws can be sentenced to jail for up to 3 years in prison and/or be ordered to pay up to a $50,000 fine per violation.

Victims of odometer fraud, whether they be consumers or automobile dealers, have the right to sue under both state and federal law. Victims must prove:

That the odometer mileage was misrepresented on the vehicle,
The person or entity who made or was responsible for the misrepresentation, and
That there was an intent to defraud.
The court will award the victim 3 times his/her actual damages, or a minimum amount of $1,500 (whichever is greater), plus court costs and reasonable attorney fees.

Yeah i dont think i want to do that now even tho when i do end up selling it. it would probally have 100k back on it.. i would still want to know how to do it
Old 03-11-2007, 12:58 AM
TECH Apprentice

Whenever you get an inspection, It shows up, even if you reset your odometer before each inspection its still VERY easy to get caught, there is typically a cable the goes to the odometer (Talking mechanical here) with a sheath around it, the cable spins and makes your odometer turn, if you pull the cable off, you break a pin (either concealed or obvious) that pin however is typically very easy to check for if you know where it is, and nearly impossible to replace. So resetting the odometer, then changing it back before selling if they inspect they will still see you have tampered with it and likely accuse you of odometer fraud. No telling what it is for digital odometers but my guess is there are at least 3 failsafes to prevent it on digital odometers.
Old 03-12-2007, 02:30 PM
On The Tree

If my car is not registered for street use, I can do whatever I want with it, including changing the odometer. Hell, I can just rip the odometer right out of the car if I want to.

The guy asked how to do it, not what you guys thought about it.

On a digital odometer, I was told by a speedo shop that the module in the cluster is locked from the factory and the only way to set it would be to change the module and then he can program the new one to say whatever I want. They wanted $150 to do this and there was no mention of legality issues.
Old 03-12-2007, 03:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by azvforce
If my car is not registered for street use, I can do whatever I want with it, including changing the odometer. Hell, I can just rip the odometer right out of the car if I want to.

The guy asked how to do it, not what you guys thought about it.

On a digital odometer, I was told by a speedo shop that the module in the cluster is locked from the factory and the only way to set it would be to change the module and then he can program the new one to say whatever I want. They wanted $150 to do this and there was no mention of legality issues.
regardless of weather your car is registered for street use or not. If you sell your car and fail to disclose the fact that your odometer has been changed, you are liable for a minimum of 1,500$ or trebble damages, whichever is greater + attorneys fees. Being registered on the street or not has nothing to do with the legality of changing your odometers reading.
Old 03-12-2007, 08:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

it is not illegal unless you sell it...................old ones, analog, just take out ur cluster and pull the cylinder and manually get it where you need it. EASY!
Old 03-12-2007, 11:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Mike96z
it is not illegal unless you sell it...................old ones, analog, just take out ur cluster and pull the cylinder and manually get it where you need it. EASY!
and never ever sell the car. Not even if you get some girl pregnant and suddenly can't afford a sports car anymore because you have a family. Not if you get into trouble and need quick cash. You can never sell the car. The only thing you can do is give it away unless you keep VERY accurate records of the car and can tell the new owners the exact mileage to a tenth.
Old 03-12-2007, 11:47 PM
TECH Addict

most of our cars (LT1's) are so old mileage is exempt anyways **** it
Old 03-13-2007, 09:44 PM
TECH Resident

i found a probe on line like a hand held computer that will do it for 250

i also found that someguys new chevy truck would reset when he hit 30,000 and gm wouldnt fix it so the guy cant get bb price for it so he is selling it for 8g

Quick Reply: reset odometer