LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8
View Poll Results: Would you like a composite Intake manifold?
Yes, less heat, lighter, and nicer.
88.31%
No, i like my cinder block intake!
11.69%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

composite intake manifold

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2007, 10:39 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by otherwhitemeat
I got a 383 lt1 tp88 now t91 and i believe my stock intake is a problem, and that i need a single plain to fix i. Because i do a lot of driving with this car and my plugs get wreck too quick, and it always ends up being that the front 2 plugs are good, the next 2 plugs are dark and when you get to the plugs at the back of the intake ,#7 & 8, they are black! I think its all about a poor air distribution in the intake........any thoughts on that?
Are you running the stock TB? if not then theres your problem. Your IAC isn't setup properly youl'l need to close the throttle blades till they are just barely open at 0%tps then do something to insure the air from the IAC on the tb goes to the IAC passage on the manifold and only there.
Old 03-28-2007, 10:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok... but that still doesn't fix the air distribution issue
In my opinion air distribution is going to be somewhat tough on any intake manifold with a throttle body up front in which the air will always like to travel to the front 4 runners opposed to the back 4 runners. These cars are tuned from the factory to compensate for this but I see what your saying. An intake manifold like a Single plane or a Duel plane would be about the only intakes with a somewhat perfect air distribution.
I talked to wilson manifolds the other day and they gave me some pretty good info on what could be done on an LT1 car not wanting to spin crazy RPM. Take an LT1 Dual plane carb intake and get the center section notched out and add fuel injection bosses to the intake. This intake has been proven to make more hp and TQ throughout the curve and peak over the LT1 intake and most people say the carb manifold is not a Racing manifold???? Thats what gets me since it seems to better our factory peice????
Old 03-28-2007, 10:45 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LiENUS
Are you running the stock TB? if not then theres your problem. Your IAC isn't setup properly youl'l need to close the throttle blades till they are just barely open at 0%tps then do something to insure the air from the IAC on the tb goes to the IAC passage on the manifold and only there.

No....its a mono blade
Old 03-28-2007, 10:51 AM
TECH Resident

I talked to wilson manifolds the other day and they gave me some pretty good info on what could be done on an LT1 car not wanting to spin crazy RPM. Take an LT1 Dual plane carb intake and get the center section notched out and add fuel injection bosses to the intake. This intake has been proven to make more hp and TQ throughout the curve and peak over the LT1 intake and most people say the carb manifold is not a Racing manifold???? Thats what gets me since it seems to better our factory peice????[/QUOTE]

Ya that will be ok...in my case i do spin it to 8000rpm, but since it is force induction, even if i didn't spin it that high i don't think rpms would be a issue, but yes if it was a n/a motor that doesn't spin that high i think thats what i would do. Also i think eblrock make a intake like that ready to go...almost
Old 03-28-2007, 11:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'm Forced induction as well, I thought about going the Dual plane route and using a elbow with my monoblade but I will probably go with the Edelbrock version since I just sold my LT4 intake and I will be adding a Nitro dave monoblade p;ate (should look wicked)
Old 03-28-2007, 11:31 AM
TECH Apprentice

No....its a mono blade
Theres your problem
You need to fix the IAC passage issue
Old 03-28-2007, 01:05 PM
TECH Resident

Theres your problem
You need to fix the IAC passage issue
how would that change the air distribution to the back cylinders? i can control the idle just fine with my fast computer.
Old 03-28-2007, 01:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

how would that change the air distribution to the back cylinders? i can control the idle just fine with my fast computer.
The IAC passages distribute air evenly to all cylinders at idle. So when you snap the throttle closed and its running rich the rear cylinders get the same amount of air as the front.
Old 03-28-2007, 01:49 PM
TECH Regular

Chevrolet put a composite on the factory voctec motors of the mid and late 90's, its very possible. I say run a "cinder block" single plane!!!!
Old 03-28-2007, 07:43 PM
TECH Junkie

At least if I have a nitrous backfire down the road, my intake shouldn't become a expensive paperweight. I have no issues with my "cinder block".

I don't even remember it weighing too much when I had it off the car either, sure not as light as a composite, but oh well.
Old 03-28-2007, 10:04 PM
TECH Regular

Not too much there as far as weight savings. I'm guessing a few pounds at the most. A lot of people running composite intakes and spraying will install basically a pressure blowoff valve, designed to relieve the pressure during a nitrous backfire, rather than pressurizing the whole intake, which can get ugly!!
Originally Posted by camar0corey
At least if I have a nitrous backfire down the road, my intake shouldn't become a expensive paperweight. I have no issues with my "cinder block".

I don't even remember it weighing too much when I had it off the car either, sure not as light as a composite, but oh well.
Old 03-28-2007, 10:44 PM
TECH Resident

The IAC passages distribute air evenly to all cylinders at idle. So when you snap the throttle closed and its running rich the rear cylinders get the same amount of air as the front.

so what you are telling me is that there are little passages in the intake manifold leading to all the ports, and to fix the problem i have to get the car to idle off the IAC and make sure the blade is as closed as possible, and to make sure that the T.B. and the intakes IAC ports line up?
Old 03-28-2007, 11:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

so what you are telling me is that there are little passages in the intake manifold leading to all the ports, and to fix the problem i have to get the car to idle off the IAC and make sure the blade is as closed as possible, and to make sure that the T.B. and the intakes IAC ports line up?
I am assuming entirely that your problem is caused by your idle, but yes thats the jist of it. The big symptom of it is severely split blms, left will be like 110 and right will be 140 or vice versa.
Old 03-29-2007, 11:37 PM
TECH Resident

split blms? what does that stand for?
Old 03-29-2007, 11:42 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr

On the LS1 thing besides the dimensional concerns how about the paireded vs. single runners.

If you guys bothered to research things you would see that not everyone who does a single plane ends up happy even. The stock intake is much better than it is given credit for and the guys who try to go fast with it do go fast.

I believe Ed Wright goes 9.91 @ 136 on a Stock LT4 intake.
Old 03-30-2007, 11:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

on a Stock LT4 intake.
It ain't stock but it is a LT4 intake nontheless.
Old 03-30-2007, 01:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Any pics of an injected dual plane intake setup? That sounds interesting to me, I don't think I've ever seen one.
Old 03-30-2007, 01:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you do a search on the internet, there is a custom aftermarket intake, where this company has cut the top off a stock intake and welded some aluminum **** up and made it look really nice and added bigger runners etc and you use it with the monoblade if you want because ts already ported for it and they put it on a stock LT1 and seen really big gains. I thought the price was around 1k with TB. I can search it again.
Old 03-30-2007, 01:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

http://home.wideopenwest.com/~squinn0039/ltx.html

Here ya go.

If I didn't like the way the new Edelbrock intake looked and wanted to mess around I would do a Converted Dual plane intake with a Elbow and monoblade. I think it would do better than most single planes below 6500RPM IMO.
Old 03-30-2007, 02:09 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by T/A KID
http://home.wideopenwest.com/~squinn0039/ltx.html

Here ya go.

If I didn't like the way the new Edelbrock intake looked and wanted to mess around I would do a Converted Dual plane intake with a Elbow and monoblade. I think it would do better than most single planes below 6500RPM IMO.

Quick Reply: composite intake manifold