LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8
View Poll Results: Would you like a composite Intake manifold?
Yes, less heat, lighter, and nicer.
88.31%
No, i like my cinder block intake!
11.69%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

composite intake manifold

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 12:39 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default composite intake manifold

who else would like to see FAST or someone make one?
Old 03-27-2007, 12:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

I would like to but it will never happen just look how long the EB intake took to come out buy the time a composite would be out for the LT1 they would be making LS10s
Old 03-27-2007, 09:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

There was talk of this a couple years ago on camaroz28.com but nothing ever came of it. The tooling is too expensive and no one has really been able to get any reasonable gains out of an aftermarket unit unless you completely change the design to address the problems.
Old 03-27-2007, 11:03 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I though no longer own a LT1, I always wanted one of these, I doubt it would be build but its has it's pluses for MANY reasons
Old 03-27-2007, 12:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

You can mold and make your own fiberglass intake if you want.
Old 03-27-2007, 12:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LiENUS
You can mold and make your own fiberglass intake if you want.
LOL...for a speaker enclosure maybe but for an intake manifold you are making it sound waaaaaay too easy...There is alot of engineering that goes into making a manifold.
Old 03-27-2007, 12:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by The Big Show
LOL...for a speaker enclosure maybe but for an intake manifold you are making it sound waaaaaay too easy...There is alot of engineering that goes into making a manifold.
You could fairly easily copy either the stock runners and give it a larger plenum. or copy the LS1 manifold's design.
Old 03-27-2007, 02:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The valley and head-to-intake mating angle is too different on an LS1 than on an LT1 I assume. So modding a LS1 intake to fit on a LT1 would be pretty hard in other words. Yea?
Old 03-27-2007, 03:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LiENUS
You could fairly easily copy either the stock runners and give it a larger plenum. or copy the LS1 manifold's design.
Having the air enter throught the front and making crazy turns is not a step in the right direction.

And I'm not just talking molds, I'm talking materials. Most if not all know that fiberglass is not the best material for heat. You'd want at minimum to use composite and not only does it take someone skilled, the cost of composite has gone up considerably.
Old 03-27-2007, 04:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by The Big Show
Having the air enter throught the front and making crazy turns is not a step in the right direction.

And I'm not just talking molds, I'm talking materials. Most if not all know that fiberglass is not the best material for heat. You'd want at minimum to use composite and not only does it take someone skilled, the cost of composite has gone up considerably.
The fiberglass wouldn't have to handle the heat and what breaks down is the resin, not the fiberglass. Otherwise header wrap would burn up. I'd make the baseplate out of aluminum so the fiberglass itself would see significantly less heat. There would be a twofold benefit. A) Much cooler intake manifold since fiberglass is an excellent insulator and B) You could completely change the design of the intake to suit your powerband. Tuned runners and a larger plenum are just two of the possible things to adapt to your engine. and if it were so difficult to engineer a working intake manifold then all these people running sheet metal intakes would be screwed. But no the sheet metal intakes work great. Fiberglass just costs a little more and takes a little more time to work with than sheet metal.
Old 03-27-2007, 05:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

would be nice... sounds like it would be pricey... would there be a "one-size-fits-all" piece or would there be like a stock-mild replacement and a extreme version? hehe.... I dont think the market is that big for extreme intake upgrades or else wouldn't sheet metal ones and ported LT4's and Super vic's be cheaper?
Old 03-27-2007, 06:30 PM
9 Second Club

Received 65 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by hyperzone
would be nice... sounds like it would be pricey... would there be a "one-size-fits-all" piece or would there be like a stock-mild replacement and a extreme version? hehe.... I dont think the market is that big for extreme intake upgrades or else wouldn't sheet metal ones and ported LT4's and Super vic's be cheaper?
lol.. their aint a market barely at all... that is the reason it aint being done...

forget about the intakes... these theads are getting old.. its not happening.. lol

reason peple think they need a intake as bad as they think they do is because that was the first thing someone would do on a old SBC.... but **** we already have reverse flow cooling and a dry intake... And people have ran rediculous power numbers through stock ported intakes.

If you want a intake THAT bad then go single plane. Its that simple.
Old 03-27-2007, 07:57 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Dragframe
lol.. their aint a market barely at all... that is the reason it aint being done...

forget about the intakes... these theads are getting old.. its not happening.. lol

reason peple think they need a intake as bad as they think they do is because that was the first thing someone would do on a old SBC.... but **** we already have reverse flow cooling and a dry intake... And people have ran rediculous power numbers through stock ported intakes.

If you want a intake THAT bad then go single plane. Its that simple.

On the LS1 thing besides the dimensional concerns how about the paireded vs. single runners.

If you guys bothered to research things you would see that not everyone who does a single plane ends up happy even. The stock intake is much better than it is given credit for and the guys who try to go fast with it do go fast.
Old 03-27-2007, 09:46 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

A lot of cars get set up so bad, the intake isnt the restriction, its the lack of a complete combination.
Old 03-27-2007, 10:06 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

And the reason those cars get setup badly is because kids get caughtup in the latest and greatest wondermod, oh like single plane intakes for instance.
Old 03-27-2007, 10:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by BizZzatch350
A lot of cars get set up so bad, the intake isnt the restriction, its the lack of a complete combination.
The idea behind a handmade composite intake wouldn't be to reduce the intake as a restriction. But rather to tune the runner lengths to the engines rpm range. another nice function would be to make the ports as straight as possible then position the injectors so that they spray straight down the port from the top and position them so they aren't a restriction to airflow. The increased distance would allow turbulence and heat to atomize the fuel a little better.
Old 03-28-2007, 10:19 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got a 383 lt1 tp88 now t91 and i believe my stock intake is a problem, and that i need a single plain to fix i. Because i do a lot of driving with this car and my plugs get wreck too quick, and it always ends up being that the front 2 plugs are good, the next 2 plugs are dark and when you get to the plugs at the back of the intake ,#7 & 8, they are black! I think its all about a poor air distribution in the intake........any thoughts on that?
Old 03-28-2007, 10:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by otherwhitemeat
I got a 383 lt1 tp88 now t91 and i believe my stock intake is a problem, and that i need a single plain to fix i. Because i do a lot of driving with this car and my plugs get wreck too quick, and it always ends up being that the front 2 plugs are good, the next 2 plugs are dark and when you get to the plugs at the back of the intake ,#7 & 8, they are black! I think its all about a poor air distribution in the intake........any thoughts on that?
Thats the single biggest problem (air distribution) with the LT1 and then the plenum volume is a close second. The LT1 makes plenty of torque so I don't think runner length ranks up as high.
Old 03-28-2007, 10:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

take a look at the new Edelbrock intake and notice how well the runners are defined opposed to the stock intake manifold (barely visible) what would stop a good job from cutting the runners off above the fuel injector bosses and aluminum weld in about 2.5-3 inches to raise the runners to about 6-6.25 inches keeping the same cross section throughout the runner, The plenum on the intake has been measured to be about an inch wider on the top and with the longer runners like the LS1 intakes roughly 8inches, Holley steathram roughly 6 inches, and the Super Vic roughly 5.5 inches we could see some extra torque production and an intake that did not want to peak at crazy RPM that 99% of us dont use.
Old 03-28-2007, 10:31 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by T/A KID
take a look at the new Edelbrock intake and notice how well the runners are defined opposed to the stock intake manifold (barely visible) what would stop a good job from cutting the runners off above the fuel injector bosses and aluminum weld in about 2.5-3 inches to raise the runners to about 6-6.25 inches keeping the same cross section throughout the runner, The plenum on the intake has been measured to be about an inch wider on the top and with the longer runners like the LS1 intakes roughly 8inches, Holley steathram roughly 6 inches, and the Super Vic roughly 5.5 inches we could see some extra torque production and an intake that did not want to peak at crazy RPM that 99% of us dont use.

Ok... but that still doesn't fix the air distribution issue

Quick Reply: composite intake manifold