LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Cam Suggestions, LT1 Into RX7 Swap.

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2007, 09:49 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cam Suggestions, LT1 Into RX7 Swap.

I have a 1993 LT1 engine from a Trans Am with 126k on the clock arriving today.

The engine will be going into a 1989 RX7, and while it was out I was thinking about replacing the cam with something bigger (along with basic maintenence, probably an e-waterpump too).

Does anyone have suggestions? I am looking for a boost in power while keeping it daily driveable. A middle of the road cam would be nice, I don't mind a lopey idle but I am not looking for some sort of extreme cam. With a full exhaust, intake, and a tune from pcmforless, I would like to see 320ish whp, so whatever would get me there.

Also cheaper would be better because of all the other costs involved in the swap. I was planning on replacing the lifters as well but leaving the rest alone, since they have no doubt worn into the stock cam, but do you think other things would need replaced?

Thoughts? If you have any cam recommendations can you post me up a link to them as well?

Emissions is not a concern, as I have no testing to pass, the car will already be catless.

Sorry if this comes up a lot, I wanted to start my own thread though since my swap situation probably isn't as common.

Thanks in advance guys.

Last edited by Aeneas; 03-28-2007 at 11:00 AM.
Old 03-28-2007, 10:42 AM
12 Second Club

if your on a budget the Hotcam kit is the way to go. If your shooting for 320hp this kit should put you a little over that with all the bolt-on's and good tuning. do a search and you'll find an endless amout of info on that cam. here's a link, but you might find it a little cheaper through someone else if you really look into it.

http://store.summitracing.com/egnsea...6&autoview=sku
Old 03-28-2007, 09:44 PM
TECH Regular

Another vote for the hotcam. You will also need to upgrade springs. It will be very driveable, with a slight lope to it, and decent power. My wifes car is running a hotcam, and that car runs damn good for what it is.

Quick Reply: Cam Suggestions, LT1 Into RX7 Swap.