LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Electric Power steering pump

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2007, 12:32 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electric Power steering pump

I'm really interested in deleting the A/C. I want to use an Alternator relocation kit to move the alternator down low, and use an electric power steering pump. Then I want to cut the bracket for the alternator to clean up the top of the engine bay. Anyone ever hear of using an electric power steering pump on a car not intended for it? Many foreign cars have electric power steering pumps that I maybe able to use as a donor.
Old 03-31-2007, 01:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

hmm sounds very interesting.

So basically your belt would just be running your alternator and thats it.

Talk about saving power. and since an electric power steering pump wouldnt cause major catastrophe by failing that makes it even more attractive
Old 03-31-2007, 08:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by transampimp
I'm really interested in deleting the A/C. I want to use an Alternator relocation kit to move the alternator down low, and use an electric power steering pump. Then I want to cut the bracket for the alternator to clean up the top of the engine bay. Anyone ever hear of using an electric power steering pump on a car not intended for it? Many foreign cars have electric power steering pumps that I maybe able to use as a donor.
really what would those car be? i'm a mechanic myself and have never seen an electric P/S pump in my life, but have read that car makers trying to accomplish it, theres designs but i dont think its in production yet.
Old 03-31-2007, 08:59 AM
11 Second Club

Received 145 Likes on 114 Posts

I wonder if you can use the LS1 Power Steering Pump, since it turns the same way, and the Belt goes on the outside, not the inside..
Old 03-31-2007, 10:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LittleRedZ
really what would those car be? i'm a mechanic myself and have never seen an electric P/S pump in my life, but have read that car makers trying to accomplish it, theres designs but i dont think its in production yet.
Almost all new Hondas and Toyotas since late 2005 have electric P/S pumps. (This only means cars that are undergoing full model changes.)

It's the next big bolt-on, IMHO, because it's easy to do. F-bodies could really benefit from them, especially since theirs don't have any form of pressure regulation. My LT1, for example, has little P/S fluid left after a 150+ run of as short as 30 seconds.
Old 03-31-2007, 10:55 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LittleRedZ

Off of a Toyota MR2

Old 03-31-2007, 10:57 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I know there are cars with electric assist for power steering but do not know wether it is a pump or something else. Think Saturn is using it. Wonder if this is why LittleRedZ said he has never seen an electric pump?

Really if looking to do a major power saving overhaul of the PS system why not look at non-power options.

Everyone wants to dump all sorts of extra load on the electricals thinking they are saving a ton of power but neglecting to consider the alternator is powered by the engine too and that the only way you can save power is by doing less work, at least in a case like this where you are repeatedly changing energy forms which is ineffienct.
Old 03-31-2007, 10:57 AM
TECH Junkie

and heres how you would wire it up to your car...this guy did it on his jeep

Old 03-31-2007, 12:16 PM
On The Tree

I'm not really looking at this swap for a Horsepower increase. I'm more interested in cleaning up the engine bay a bit. I hate looking at that Alternator so high up. I bet that it would make a turbo kit alot easier too.
Old 03-31-2007, 12:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Subscribing...

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
Really if looking to do a major power saving overhaul of the PS system why not look at non-power options.

Everyone wants to dump all sorts of extra load on the electricals thinking they are saving a ton of power but neglecting to consider the alternator is powered by the engine too and that the only way you can save power is by doing less work, at least in a case like this where you are repeatedly changing energy forms which is ineffienct.
I'd like to see what a manual setup feels like... without skinnys on the front.
Old 03-31-2007, 12:45 PM
TECH Regular

I have been thinking about this for the last few months. I have yet to find an after market company that makes one. I would definately be interested in one though.
Old 03-31-2007, 01:06 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by A-man930
Subscribing...

I'd like to see what a manual setup feels like... without skinnys on the front.

A true manual setup can feel fine, it is not like a hydraulic system with the belt pulled or anything, a lot of cars have used it over the years.
Old 03-31-2007, 02:56 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
A true manual setup can feel fine, it is not like a hydraulic system with the belt pulled or anything, a lot of cars have used it over the years.
I agree, I had an old s-10 that had manual steering on it.. the only time it was noticeable was at a dead stop... moving greater than 1mph and it was as free and easy as a p/s system..

.... you had to be prepared to counter steer REALLY quick when the truck would start going sideways. seeing as the gear-ratio in a manual rack is lower (numerically higher) than a power unit, it would take more turning of the steering wheel to do the same amount of turing at the wheel.
Old 03-31-2007, 04:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by transampimp
I'm not really looking at this swap for a Horsepower increase. I'm more interested in cleaning up the engine bay a bit. I hate looking at that Alternator so high up. I bet that it would make a turbo kit alot easier too.
get a pinto manual rack and get rid of P/S all toghether. You will have more wheel revolutions end to end but it will almost feel like it has P/S
Old 03-31-2007, 06:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by solid95z
I have been thinking about this for the last few months. I have yet to find an after market company that makes one. I would definately be interested in one though.
http://www.streetperformance.com/rip...p.php?sku=5171

Just try not to have a heart attack when you see the price...

http://www.flamingriver.com/index.cf...rod/prd356.htm
Old 03-31-2007, 08:08 PM
Launching!

Chevrolet is already putting electric powersteering in vehicles, and has been for a few years now. The Malibu, Cobalt, and the HHR have an electric motor on the steering column. Don't know if Chevrolet is going to use eps (electric power steering) on larger vehicles though.
Old 03-31-2007, 09:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mighty Whitey
...seeing as the gear-ratio in a manual rack is lower (numerically higher) than a power unit, it would take more turning of the steering wheel to do the same amount of turing at the wheel.
I don't think this would be apropriate for a handling aplication... even a well-rounded street setup. Are there any manual setups that don't decrease the steering ratio? or at that point does the effort required become too high?
Old 03-31-2007, 10:10 PM
11 Second Club

Received 145 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by thesoundandthefury
[url]
Just try not to have a heart attack when you see the price...
**** that...
Old 03-31-2007, 10:33 PM
TECH Junkie

LOL just ONLY 3,999 ...i like that alot
Old 04-03-2013, 04:47 PM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bump....

Anyone get any further on this in the past 6 years?

Quick Reply: Electric Power steering pump