LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Fidenza flywheel, worth it??

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 10:06 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Fidenza flywheel, worth it??

I have a 97 LT1 with a LE2 h/c. My question is, is it worth switching to a Fidenza flywheel? I hear that I will loose torque because I'm not making that much power to begin with. Is this true? or should I just stick with the stock style steel flywheel?
Old 04-03-2007, 06:57 AM
On The Tree

I'd be interested in knowing this too. When I got my car, it had a bad clutch, so when I had it apart, I replaced the flywheel with a Fidanza. Works OK I suppose, can't compare because the car didn't run when I got it-LOL. Incidentally, I got my flywheel off eBay for cheap. Troll through there and maybe you'll find one too. Mine was $125. Good luck. Oh, and it sure is a helluva lot lighter than the original.
Old 04-03-2007, 11:09 AM
Launching!

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I just put a fidanza aluminum flywheel in a couple weeks ago. I bought the part number 198501. I had very bad luck trying to get ahold of anyone to let me know if it needed to be balanced. I called fidanza numerous times and I couldnt get through. As a last ditch effort I called thunder racing and they told me the flywheel is balanced and ready to go in the car. I ripped the tranny out replaced the clutch with a LT4 PP and a Ram 980 disk and put in the flywheel. Let the clutch break in some (75 miles) then brought it up to about 6 grand. It started vibrating pretty bad at about 4 grand. So i had to take the tranny back out and have the flywheel balanced. It was off by 22 grams. So finally got the tranny back in and no vibration. There is however a huge difference between the two flywheels. The aluminum gets you to redline very very quick. I however havnt noticed it to be difficult to get up and go off the line. I would definately recommend getting the aluminum one, but HAVE IT BALANCED.
Old 04-03-2007, 11:59 AM
On The Tree

You dont actualy loose any torque, it just may hurt your 60' times because you have less inertia with the lighter flywheel. And it definately makes launching it a little more tricky.

So my opinion would be if drag racing is your thing then just stick with the stock one.

But if you do get one get it balanced. Mine came with a big red sticker on it that said something like "this is close to what its suposed to be but it must be balanced to match the one taken off the car". When I got it back from the machine shop it looked like swiss cheese, but no abnormal vibrations at all.
Old 04-03-2007, 12:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have heard Steel for the strip. Then Aluminum fly wheel would be better for road racing. So depends on what your intent for the car is.
Old 04-03-2007, 12:46 PM
TECH Regular

I mainly use the car on the street with the occasional trip to the track. Being I have the extra power from the H/C I doubt the 60' will get hurt too badlly. Thanks for the imput guys. Anyone with any more experiences, please post up before I decide on purchasing this.
Old 04-03-2007, 05:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

yea aluminum isnt so great for drag racing, but I have heard they are magic for AutoX, because how much quicker the engine revs
Old 04-03-2007, 06:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Spec Billet steel
Old 04-03-2007, 11:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by streetwarrior96
Spec Billet steel

Probably what im going to buy

Quick Reply: Fidenza flywheel, worth it??