LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Lifter Spun! Need Help...

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 10:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lifter Spun! Need Help...

I dropped my motor bc I thought I had spun a bearing. There was lots of metal in the oil and loud knocking plus it wouldnt idle. Anyway, I tore down the top of the motor and the spider lifter retainer had bent one of its arms, #3 I believe, and the lifters spun in the bores. Now I can't get them out. All the others slid out but I cant get the two lifters on that cylinder to come more than half way. I am thinking the roller tip has been messed up and wont slide through the bore so how do I get them out? Pull the cam and knock them down into the oil pan? The condition of the lifter bores is still unknown but what are the odds they are trashed and does that mean the block is done? Not too much info on spun lifters that I have found so any help would be appreciated.

Just out of curiousity if any one knows if the retainer was a primary failure or maybe something else happened first I would love to know. I was spinning way higher than I probably should have on a stock bottom end but live and learn.
Old 04-03-2007, 02:20 AM
11 Second Club

Hate to say it but it might be done....
Ed Wright had a lifter spin years back (I believe he broke a rocker stud that caused this)...I think he had to replace the block...You won't know until you get there..and maybe a sleeve could work? I run two spiders one on top the other with the ears cut off on the second (top one)....The pressure is way higher on that lifter retainer...Another problem I noted with the spider combo is that bigger cams tend to drop the lifter below the face of that retainer, and can lead to failure at high rpm's...
Old 04-03-2007, 07:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Where can you get the spiders? Mine is toast along with the key for that cylinder. Was also thinking about running link bar lifters next time but do you still use the retainers?
Old 04-03-2007, 07:20 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

It is good you pulled the motor because even if the lifter bores are good you have metal to clean out of the motor.

I think the retainer and dogbone kits are pretty cheap from GM, if you have trouble finding them or I am wrong and they are priced rediculously send me a PM and maybe I can help.
Old 04-03-2007, 07:50 PM
LT1
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

i had the same problem on one of my LT1 engines, i used vice grip and pulled for hours and finaly got them all out, when i did i saw that the lifters were cracked at the bottom.
Old 04-03-2007, 08:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i tried grips for about a hour. even sprayed wd-40 to help loosen them up i cant find my puller to get the balancer off but thursday i will pull it and try to get the cam out. maybe i can knock them out the other end. looking for a spare block just in case. i know you have to pay to play but i think this game keeps stealing my money!
Old 04-03-2007, 09:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

i did this too. You need a new cam cause there will be metal bonded directly onto the cam. I can get you pics of what it'll look like. but it seems like you have an excuse for a new cam/lifter setup!
Old 04-03-2007, 09:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by FlamingChicken
i know you have to pay to play but i think this game keeps stealing my money!
I have something new to add to my sig heh.

Quick Reply: Lifter Spun! Need Help...