LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Still overheating, what should i do???

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2007, 10:47 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Default Still overheating, what should i do???

Allright, i replaced the hose with the hole in it, it was popping due to the opti being wet, big deal, kept getting better till i was out about taking care of buisiness and started over heating again, i had to stop and let the cap open, fill it back up (which was low as hell!!!) and limp it home, no steam, but clearly it is just slow enough to make it do this, so should i just port some vette heads i got lating around and swap them out along with waranty the new opti that is on it now??? Thanks for any input gentlemen.
Old 04-09-2007, 11:19 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

check your oil for any signs of coolant. if it looks like a milkshake you have blown a hg. this will cause the car to go low on coolant rather quickly. does it smoke at all? if so does it smell like coolant? is the coolant in the car clean? or you just have a geyser of a coolant leak somewhere.
Old 04-09-2007, 11:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ya sounds like cracked block or the case.. headgaskets.. get the heads ported and return the opti... get the water out of ur engine ASAP or get ready for new bearings and such
Old 04-10-2007, 12:19 AM
Launching!

good point you defineately don't want to be driving around with an oil/coolant mixture in your engine. fingers crossed it's not a cracked block
Old 04-10-2007, 04:10 AM
In-Zane Moderator

Well guys, the thing is, no coolant in the oil and vicaverca, but it got low on coolant, mega low, but no smoke outta the motor, what you guys think? Fricking mystery, no cracked block or anything, i am gonna investigate more tomarrow, let me know what you think, i was a mechanic in my previous career and a damn good one, but this is wierd...
Old 04-10-2007, 02:00 PM
In-Zane Moderator

I guess i gotta drive it some more, we will see..
Old 04-10-2007, 02:27 PM
On The Tree

Make absolutely sure you're bleeding the system as much as possible. Do it three or four times to make certain. Even a small air bubble, especially if you're still using dex-cool or similar, can cause major overheating issues. I had an improperly bled system after replacing the thrmostat on my car, and that turned into a huge headache in a hurry. It turned the coolant into some rust looking gunk and burnt out the water pump.

It happened very similar to yours too. I was driving along on the freeway and in about 30 seconds the temp gauge went from normal to pegged hot (this about half way into a hour and a half drive). This is about a month after my T-stat replacement so i figured that went bad. Limped it home and replaced that, but I started it up and the water pump was leaking. Took that all apart to replce it and the pump/front of he heads were completely clogged with rusty colored goo. Fun stuff I tell ya. Got everything cleaned out as best I cuould, flushed the coolant repeatedly until it was mostly clean. It'll probablly need a new radiator, new heater core and maybe hoses etc before its back to normal again. Luckily now that its been flushed etc the coolant runs clean and its been running great for the last 6 months or so. I guess the last coolant flush got most of it out, but im still real careful about the coolant bleeding etc.

-Josh
Old 04-10-2007, 02:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

yea make sure you bleed the coolant system 100% some times an air bubble can hide in there and make it get hot quick

Quick Reply: Still overheating, what should i do???